MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Meor

AirAsia CHECK-IN Baggage Fees & Rules

Just got this news..

Dear AirAsians,

On the 8th of April 2008 (Tuesday), we will be announcing our new 'Checked Baggage Handling Fee' to the public.

This 'Checked Baggage Handling Fee' will be applicable for all bookings made from 21st April, 00:01 Hours.

We will definitely get a lot of coverage from this new fee, and as an AirAsia staff, it is vital that we know the facts so we can give confident and correct answers when questioned.

This FAQ contains some of the most common questions that you may be asked, as well some of the more important information that you should know.

More news here: http://www.airasia.com/site/my/en/page.jsp?reference=baggage

aiya.. i think this also sure "kena hentam".... :angry:

:angry2: Boooooooo!!! read the FAQ's and as far as I am concerned........ nothing but crap! You wanna make more money just say so lah!

Coming soon....pre-book the toilet. To ensure we save water and toilet servicing AK will now charge RM2 for a small job, RM5 for big job and RM5 for toilet paper.

Frequently asked questions

1. Why is AirAsia introducing the fee?

AirAsia believes that guests should be given the option to choose the services they require and pay only for those services. This approach helps keep AirAsia's basic fares low, which is our main priority.

Previously, the cost of taking a pee or crap was automatically included in every fare; meaning those who never use the toilet were subsidising those who do.

Now, each guest will pay only for the kind of things they do in the toilet, enabling us to keep our basic fares low for all.

Fewer passengers taking a leak will improve aircraft efficiency and will eventually lead to shorter queues for the toilet.

Edited by Alan B.

1. Why is AirAsia introducing the fee?

AirAsia believes that guests should be given the option to choose the services they require and pay only for those services. This approach helps keep AirAsia's basic fares low, which is our main priority.

Previously, the cost of checked baggage was automatically included in every fare; meaning those traveling with only hand luggage were subsidising those traveling with heavier, check-in bags.

Now, each guest will pay only for the bags they wish to travel with, enabling us to keep our basic fares low for all.

Fewer checked bags improve airport efficiency and will eventually lead to shorter check-in queues.

Not an indication that pax travelling without checked-in baggage will eventually pay less for the administration fee portion of the total amount.

Well same as Alan and Ewan, I totally think this is a gimmick!! Especially after reading their FAQ...

Edited by Chan CS

expected... sigh

they are really following the footsteps of ryanair... up next: they will introduce online check-in and then charge for airport check-in. it is just a matter of time...

i am just wondering how strict are they going to be with regard to the 7kg-one piece-hand luggage per passenger rule? i believe many people will try to avoid checking in their stuff and carry all as hand luggage.

more hand luggage --> more competition in securing space in the overhead bins --> good reason to join the boarding scrum... oh well...

Only in a competitive environment, consumers are not screwed. Believe we need another strong LCC before AK becoming too abusive.

:drinks:

Didn't read the FAQs but I believe AirAsia is pursuing a Jetstar concept with the JetStar Lite package fares - which are for passengers with hand luggage only - therefore providing those pax with extra special fares - ofcourse they can't market it the same as Jetstar so they've come up with there own package. I don't mnd this.... when I fly domestically in Malaysia and use AK, I never check in luggage....

I wouldn't single out Ryanair on this practice, many LCC in europe have been doing this for few years now. It surely discriminates those who can't live without heavy luggages but for light traveler like me, I often travel without checked luggage and just carry a backpack instead. It makes life easier for not having to wait at the carousel upon arrival. Mind you, AirAsia X have had this policy since they first flew to OOL, so this is nothing new in the Malaysian scene either.

expected... sigh

they are really following the footsteps of ryanair... up next: they will introduce online check-in and then charge for airport check-in. it is just a matter of time...

i am just wondering how strict are they going to be with regard to the 7kg-one piece-hand luggage per passenger rule? i believe many people will try to avoid checking in their stuff and carry all as hand luggage.

more hand luggage --> more competition in securing space in the overhead bins --> good reason to join the boarding scrum... oh well...

Online check-in is very convenient, if you have access and a working printer! Otherwise, these also do it:

20080405-kst9p6atygiud6y7d9ka8bdptk.prev

20080405-8r49sn2pgbtdhmrxdq3ftiqc4n.prev

And at LCCT and BKI I see they have scales located before the gates to weigh your hand luggage at random. I think they are going to enforce the rule even more strictly after this.

Edited by Ewan Shamsudin

I think this is fair enough as we know what the money is for, and perhaps AK will not increase fuel surcharges significantly and sneakily, as and when it pleases.

Since they are charging fee for baggage handling, they'd better handle passengers' baggage well. Please no campak-campak, or pilfered baggage.

And at LCCT and BKI I see they have scales located before the gates to weigh your hand luggage at random. I think they are going to enforce the rule even more strictly after this.

Luckily just for hand luggage. If for people, surely they'll impose the 'fat tax'. More money for AK... :D

OMG :shok: , dun tell me next time i need to pay service charge to ur flight attendant when they r selling F&B to me :D

I wouldn't single out Ryanair on this practice, many LCC in europe have been doing this for few years now. ...

agree.. but i believe ryanair is one of the pioneers hehe...

just a story to share... a friend of mine flew with an LCC when he was moving a few months ago... he paid for three checked baggage and happily thought that he got a 15x3=45kg baggage allowance... lucky him we had a chat a few days before he flew off ... i had to convince him that even with 3 checked baggage he would only have 15kg allowance... 15kg of combined weight that is... thank god he had enough time to re-pack and arranged for a courier delivery.

i sincerely hope that the customers are made to understand clearly that the baggage allowance per passenger remains the same regardless of how many baggage you pay to be checked in... a bit unfair imho... you pay RM3 for one piece of bag of 15kg... RM6 for 2 pieces.. but also of 15kg... i understand where this is coming from; they just want to discourage people from having many bags hence to minimize the number of baggage to be handled...

well frankly speaking, the charge of RM3 per baggage is, afterall reasonable.

This 'Checked Baggage Handling Fee' will be applicable for all bookings made from 21st April, 00:01 Hours.

Am I ever so glad to have booked my June flights on AirAsia already !!! :yahoo:

Does anyone know what the charge per kilo will be ?

agree.. but i believe ryanair is one of the pioneers hehe...

i sincerely hope that the customers are made to understand clearly that the baggage allowance per passenger remains the same regardless of how many baggage you pay to be checked in... a bit unfair imho... you pay RM3 for one piece of bag of 15kg... RM6 for 2 pieces.. but also of 15kg... i understand where this is coming from; they just want to discourage people from having many bags hence to minimize the number of baggage to be handled...

well frankly speaking, the charge of RM3 per baggage is, afterall reasonable.

Read back the FAQ for AirAsia baggage above, its 15kg per bag, so if you have 3 bags, its 3x15 kg max. You can prepurchase 3 bags, or if you want more bags to check in, you have to pay RM5 for additional bags (with additional 15 kg per bag also la).

Only in a competitive environment, consumers are not screwed. Believe we need another strong LCC before AK becoming too abusive.

I second that. I believe a competitive LCC environment can be viewed in Indonesia. About a dozen of LCCs are operating here. Competition is very stiff that more 'small frills' are added to lure passengers. Some of the Indonesian LCCs frills/X factor that I have experienced:

Sriwijaya Air - An all refurbished interior of classic B732, a variety of FREE snackbox meals (incorporated local delicacies/kueh), FREE newspaper handed to passengers at the seat, FREE baggage allowance of 20 kg per passenger.

Batavia Air - FREE snackbox meals (albeit standard bun and water throughout the network), FREE newspaper at passengers' seat, the most gracious FREE baggage allowance of 25 kg per passenger, Application of e-tickets throughout the entire network (except KCH).

Although I never flown on Lion Air, I believe they also serve a FREE snackbox (a cup of water). The now defunct Adam Air also used to serve a FREE snackbox.

To think of it, I think this is why Indonesia AirAsia is not as successful as the other 2 sisters.

Read back the FAQ for AirAsia baggage above, its 15kg per bag, so if you have 3 bags, its 3x15 kg max. You can prepurchase 3 bags, or if you want more bags to check in, you have to pay RM5 for additional bags (with additional 15 kg per bag also la).

"up to a maximum combined weight of 15kg"

The total combined weight of all bags checked in must be below 15kg. The number of bags you prebook/book is just the number of bags you are going to carry. If you prebook 6 bags you are entitled to transport 6 bags on your flight but the total combined weight must still be below 15kg or you face additional charges for excess baggage. You are not entitled to carry (6x15)kg just because you have booked 6 bags.

I that were the case, AK would be in fact giving a big discount on baggage. Previously you could carry as many bags as you wanted provided they were below 15kg and anything above that would be charged RM10/kg (for flights within Peninsular Malaysia and Borneo). If AK were to charge RM3 per bag of 15kg, a pax could book 5 bags at RM15 and get away with 75kg of bags. When previously the same pax would be charged for (75-15)kg of excess baggage. Which equates to RM600 in excess baggage charges. Hence the fee is merely a handling fee and not an entitlement to carry extra weight.

if at all you guys are to pay for the increment of charges, please request tarmac access to watch the ramp guys load your cargo. most of the time, they're chasing for time...i've seen some nasty scenes, but the best so far was how they mishandled a traveler's golf set.

if at all you guys are to pay for the increment of charges, please request tarmac access to watch the ramp guys load your cargo. most of the time, they're chasing for time...i've seen some nasty scenes, but the best so far was how they mishandled a traveler's golf set.

woahhh more details please :rofl:

This is a reality of LCC. We have been forwarned a couple of months ago about this checked-in fees. Some people say, the RM3 if "tutup mata" likened to a fuel surcharge la, only this time you may have to pay more careful in the number of bags, or else pay more. Sigh.

One can't stop comparing the other LCCs who have done this namely Ryanair and Easyjet.

Ryanair's website is in itself look cheap and troublesome, sometimes whenever I want to proceed for the next step, it always timed out. Don't know who to design it but sometimes even the website looks not safe.

Airport Check in - 3 pounds/RM19

1 baggage + airport check in - 9 pounds/RM57

2 baggage + airport check in - 21 pounds/RM134

The increment is scary, coz its more then doubled. This is ridiculous. and the total combined weigh is 15KG!!! It makes AirAsia's baggage fees look like nothing.

Easyjet's website looks a bit like Jetstar, even their combined total baggage is 20KG (the same as Jetstar's). I don't see any option for airport check in fees. For the add ons fee:

Easy boarding - 7.5 pounds/RM48

1 baggage - 5 pounds/RM32

2 baggage - 10 pounds/RM64

(looks more reasonable here compared to Ryanair)

Both airlines do not have prepurchase food option though. But after comparing these fees to us, we should be grateful that AirAsia's fees are not high. It is just inevitable as LCC has to do this to survive. Jetstar has introduced Jetstar Lite, and I am sure it will not be long for Tiger to introduce similar approach. Fly full service airline if you don't like the headache I guess.

Edited by Azri M.

this is good..

you can check in as many luggage u wan for rm3 per piece only

unlike now..1 guest 1 luggage olny. anytin extra = excessive luggage

Under the current system you are allowed to check in as many pieces you want as long as the total does not exceed the weight limit of 15kg.

The new system also allows you to check in as many bags as you want provided

1. You pay RM3 for each bag you check

2. The total weight of all your baggage combined does not exceed 15kg

HEY!!!! They have just increased the Admin Fee!!!

For destinations:

Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Vientiane, Ho Chi Minh

From RM25 to Rm26.50

Shenzen

From RM42 to RM45

Other destinations

From RM21 to RM22.50

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: This is cheating!!!! I thought they will reduce this fee once the baggage fees are implemented, not the other way around!!!