MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Tamon

Air Berlin A330-300s to Subang (maintenance)

Hi all,

some infos from DUS/EDDL for you Kuala Lumpur guys.

Air Berlin (LTU) will be flying three Airbus A330-300s to Subang for C-Checks.

The first one is expected this week. Here's the schedule for the first one.

Times are UTC!

02.April 2008 : LT1F DUS-SZB 10:00-22:15 D-AERK

greets from DUS,

Tamon

Wondering how are they going to slot in the aircraft, there are already 2 a330 doing checks.

Wondering how are they going to slot in the aircraft, there are already 2 a330 doing checks.

9M-MKE departing to KUL today and the empty slot will be taken by LTU tommorow.

Why would Air Berlin send their A330 half way around the globe for checks? Is it really really really cheaper rather than doing at Berlin or Frankfurt?

The cost should be

Maintainance Cost + empty flight DUS-SZB & SZB-DUS + airspace fees. I guess that must be closer to MYR300,000 or EUR55,000 per plane.

Similar to QF sending their A333's last year to ZRH with SR Technics. All comes down to $$$$. Air Berlin wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't their best option

Why would Air Berlin send their A330 half way around the globe for checks? Is it really really really cheaper rather than doing at Berlin or Frankfurt?

The cost should be

Maintainance Cost + empty flight DUS-SZB & SZB-DUS + airspace fees. I guess that must be closer to MYR300,000 or EUR55,000 per plane.

Similar to QF sending their A333's last year to ZRH with SR Technics. All comes down to $$$$. Air Berlin wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't their best option

Hi guys,

yes it is Air Berlin's best (and only) option at the moment. In DUS the hangar is blocked by construction works and regular maintenance works, so to have an A330-300 for C-Check would take too much space in the hangar... To my knowledge LTU can only do maintenance works in DUS, not in MUC, where the second base is. The plane, D-AERK, is expected to enter service on Mai 8th again, flying PEK-DUS.

greets

Tamon

I´m just wondering why AB doesn´t use the a/c to make additional revenue flights to one of their asian destinations.

They could reduce their expenses significantly by flying DUS-HKT or BKK and just ferry the rather short hop to SZB (same back after finishing the C-Check)

Despite the additional cabin crew required for the resp. legs i would assume the flight´s revenue would more than outbalance that !!!

P.S.: I think the reason why they choosed to have the C-Check done at SZB is not solely because of the low labour cost !

One has to consider also the availlability of facilities within a certain time frame.

And I would assume that AB is also trying to speed up with the changing of LT-interior/exterior to AB-standard due to certain internal reasons (it´s actually no "easy-game"-relationship between LTU-staff and AB-management since the takeover of LT !!! - the CEO of AB is certainly trying to put some pressure on LT-Staff meaning: "if you don´t cooperate we -AB- will shift the LT OPS completely over to AB and you´ll loose your jobs ... " )

Edited by Juergen Witte

I´m just wondering why AB doesn´t use the a/c to make additional revenue flights to one of their asian destinations.

They could reduce their expenses significantly by flying DUS-HKT or BKK and just ferry the rather short hop to SZB (same back after finishing the C-Check)

Despite the additional cabin crew required for the resp. legs i would assume the flight´s revenue would more than outbalance that !!!

P.S.: I think the reason why they choosed to have the C-Check done at SZB is not solely because of the low labour cost !

One has to consider also the availlability of facilities within a certain time frame.

And I would assume that AB is also trying to speed up with the changing of LT-interior/exterior to AB-standard due to certain internal reasons (it´s actually no "easy-game"-relationship between LTU-staff and AB-management since the takeover of LT !!! - the CEO of AB is certainly trying to put some pressure on LT-Staff meaning: "if you don´t cooperate we -AB- will shift the LT OPS completely over to AB and you´ll loose your jobs ... " )

Yes, very true what you said but an airline who is able to spend hundred thousands of Euros painting their aircrafts in three different schemes within 2 years (remember all the DBA B737s and Fokker 100s) doesn't really care about ferry costs from Germany to Malaysia - even if it's not rational...

Speaking of ferry flights, the Airbus A330-300 is scheduled to leave :

03-May-20008 D-AERK A330-300 LT1F SZB-DUS 06:00-19:00 (Times are UTC).

greets

Tamon

Sign in to follow this