MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Phil

London Heathrow EGLL/LHR

Great shots CB...

and they still allow photography in public places?

Been reading news that some photographers were held

up by police for photographing public places...

Fantastic Shots there Cornelis :clapping:

Alot of variety to shoot and heaps of WB! :yahoo:

Thx guys!:)

At LHR there are a few spots in approach you can take good photographs from! For all runways in all direction approach is really suberb!

Only line-ups you get send aways in a few minutes because of the 2 meter rule (2 meters away from the fence). But approach is no problem at all. Sometimes police asks photo-ID and make notes of your ID but they don't send you away.

09L/R Approaches: (Spot A)

When 09 is in use 09L is the main landing runway. 09R the runway for takeoff. A few exceptions as Terminal 4 aircraft can come in on 09R instead, same for A380s using T3. But they can come in on 09L as well, never sure!

For this go to Heathrow Terminal 5. Free busses around LHR Airport. Get out at T5 and walk to northside of terminal. From here there is a small strip next to the road leading towards a small field a little up, you probably see some spotters here. There is shade because there are trees around :) In evening you can walk to a roundabout a little up north, just for last sunrays of the day..

27L/R Approaches:

If they use 27R in the morning they change to 27L approaches at 3 PM local time! If they use 27L in the morning, they change to 27R at 3 PM local time!

27R Approaches: (Spot B/C)

Take the underground to Hatton Cross station. This is the last stop before reaching Heathrow Airport.

Get out on Northside of the station. Take bus 285, or another (FREE) bus to HARLINGTON CORNER. Busses to T1,2,3 all go trough Harlington Corner. When you drive around the hangar area and reaching a roundabout, where you clearly see the runway press the STOP button. From there walk for a few minutes to one of the runway sides. In early morning and late afternoon on the North side of the runway in a corner is a small field just next to the road or footpad where you can stay. On the southside around the roundabout is also some green where you can stand close to the airport fence.

27L Approaches: (Spot D)

Take the underground to Hatton Cross station. Again: Last stop b4 LHR Airport.

From there walk out of station on Southside. Cross the road and walk towards BP Fuel station (towards Terminal 4).

After crossing the BP petrol station continue your walk for 5 minutes and on the left side you see a green field (probably with spotters) where you can take good shots from.

Airport hotels:

Near Terminal 5 you have a hotel called Sofitel I believe.

Other airport hotels are at Bath Road. I always use Ibis, but lot more hotels around! renaissance heathrow is good, ask topfloor and airport facing room! Windows can't be opened but you can shoot over airport fence and have good shots, Too bad the hotel is facing the south so if the weather is clear, bad sunlight. From Bath Road take a bus to T5 or Harlington Corner, or just walk there, really close.

How do shots look like from these spots?

Spot A:

See most of my shots above, like the Egypt Air 773, Biman 772, Oneworld aircraft etc.

Spot B:

Same shots like Spot A, you only are a little close to the flightpad and the runway.

Spot C:

See my 2nd EK A380 picture above. This was almost underneath is. A little further away is also possible, no worries!

Spot D:

See previous shots in this topic or:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Airbus-A319-131/1706442/L/

Equipment needed: -200 mm zoom is the most you need at all those place. For A380 or B747 you don't need much more then 70mm or so

After arrival from DUS @ LHR on my way to SIN for 5th Annivarsary in Singapore I shot some stuff @ LHR.

First a few of downtown London on approach to LHR's 27R

Not many people can be seen on those shots walking next to the worldfamous sights!

It's 7.25 AM and not long from now, especially with the great weather of this day, it will be overcrowded with tourists.

Isn't the morning lovely everywhere before 7 AM when most people are still in bed and the world looks on it's best!

LHQ001.jpg

LHQ002.jpg

Uncle Pieter; Ever been to Brentford to burn freq.flyer miles? :pardon:

LHQ003.jpg

LHQ004.jpg

The 2nd or 3th visit of this Brunei T7 into LHR!

LHQ005.jpg

LHQ006.jpg

Quite some Qatar aircraft @ LHR today. There also was a Qatar Executive CL-600 A7-CEB

LHQ007.jpg

Nice to see also the 342 from Brunei was here!!

LHQ008.jpg

What a good day so far, first @ DUS, now @ LHR!

Finally time to board for flight QF32 to SIN! :yahoo:

LHD001.jpg

LHD002.jpg

After taking those shots I experienced Singapore system is really strict and they refused me on the whale to SIN because my passport expiration date was 10 days to short :( I knew it was, (disovered it too late) but I took the risk and got send back to DUS.

WOW... The RBA 777 looks like the 767..LOL...

I might go to London again this Aug for hols... See hoe the budget goes.. : :drinks:

Isn't the Silverjet 767-200 now flying for Syrian ? :huh:

A few hours @ LHR on my way to SIN

BA unfortunately putting their 757s out of the fleet. Actually today 30 October there are a few GOODBYE flight trough the UK. Next Saturday there will be a special farewell flight with G-CPET the recently painted retro B752. Here a few being (partly) repainted.

LON001.jpg

LON002.jpg

LON003.jpg

LON004.jpg

LON005.jpg

These 2 shot b4 flight back to Amsterdam 2 weeks later. Unfo Retro 757 just left 2 minutes b4 my arrival at the gate :(

I got held up to long at KLM checkin as they nowadays checkin KLM & AF on the same counters, only 4 in use for 3 KLM flights and 3 AF flights @ the same time. If I would be US citizen I now would sue KLM UK Ground Staff (but eventually KLM/AF because they want to cut costs) for missing this 757 :finger:

LON006.jpg

BA 77W operating daily flight to BOM

LON007.jpg

Heathrow never stops to amaze me with all these 'exclusive' airlines...

Sorry to see BA's 757's at this stage... :sorry:

Cornelis,

How lucky you were (again) at LHR with the weather AND the aircraft !!! :pardon:

Looking for more...

When I'm there, it's always rainy/showery and 09... :finger:

P.S., only a few more days before your 'great' South-American adventure... :good:

Pieter; 09 use is excellent for spotting! Walk from T5 to a small field. 5 Minute walk. Excellent! See my shots of last year! 3 days of only 09 use. Close to T5 brings you also food facilities :)

Some more from LHR (a few LCY to follow tomorrow)

BAA100.jpg

BAA101.jpg

BAA109.jpg

Korean also added Visit Country titles

BAA110.jpg

We did not have excellent weather all days. The 2nd day was really bad, with some rain now and then, still traffic was excellent!

Former COA aircraft now flying for new UAL

BAA102.jpg

On AAL aircraft you'll always can see very well where they engage the aerobrigde!

BAA103.jpg

BAA105.jpg

BAA106.jpg

This was the day of the Champions League Final;

Manchester Utd.

BAA104.jpg

vs. FC Barcelona, both on same day (FCB used Stansted instead of LHR the day after on a 77W also in FCB paint)

BAA108.jpg

BAA107.jpg

BAA111.jpg

BAA112.jpg

BAA113.jpg

A few more seen and photographed:

732 Aviogenex 2 times

772 American Pink Ribbon

77W BA, all 3 of them

77W ANA, : Forward together as one Japan

733 LH, Eurovision Songfestival logojet

320 LH, Hamburg Airport 100 Jahre

As I am human, and not satisfied yet...(hehe) I was cursing AA for sending in their N174AA (757 oneworld) one day to late! It was flying on and off to LHR the week before but this weekend chose to fly to CDG instead. Ah well, you need birds to keep chasing for, for a next time! So I guess N395AN (763 oneworld) and N174AA will still remain on top of my wishlist (now Delta's 764s are shot), so is one of the Saudi SP's

Edited by Cornelis Boersma

And as promissed a few from London City Airport

Most traffic is BAe 146/Avro RJ Jets, Fokker 50, Dash 8 & ATR.

Most frequent carriers are: BA , Lufthansa Regional, Cityjet by AF/KL, Aer Arrann, Swiss, Luxair, lots of business jets and some other airlines

E190 carrying special sticker

BAA001.jpg

The buildings in background are of University of East London. Am I going to take my next college over here? :pardon:

BAA002.jpg

BAA003.jpg

BAA004.jpg

GEUNBLCY.jpg