MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS To Announce Decision On Aircraft Purchase Plan Soon

Hijaz, I hope you are well aware that wikipedia is not an accurate source of information because it depends on readers' input. I am so surprise to find out that the photograph of a MH's stewardess that I snapped was put up on MH's wikipedia page without my permission. At least I should be informed.

MAS buys 35 planes

By B.K. SIDHU

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is buying 35 aircraft with an option for 20 more of the narrow body Boeing 737-800 which will cost the carrier a total of US$4.2bil.

The national carrier also decided that it still wants the super jumbo A380 although it would have to wait until 2011 for the aircraft to be delivered.

In a statement yesterday, MAS said a firm order had been placed for 55 B737-800 at the list price of US$4.2bil (RM13.39bil). It is unclear at this point whether the carrier would eventually get a discount on the large order.

But the order will put MAS in good stead as these aircraft are said to be more fuel efficient per passenger per mile than others. The short- to medium-range airplane has a fuel capacity of 6,875 US gallons, or 0.1387 gallons per passenger per mile, and can fly up to a range of 3,060 nautical miles.

MAS said it intends to use the aircraft for the Asean region, including the domestic sector and China and India.

“Clearly we are gearing ourselves to benefit from the growth of this region, which is projected at 6% per annum,” managing director/CEO Datuk Seri Idris Jala said in the statement.

Jala said aircraft for the airline's core network would always be the latest in terms of technology and “we will likely partially purchase the B737-800 on our own and partially lease them as that would give us the flexibility to manage our balance sheet and financing commitments and sell some of them when the timing is right.”

MAS first announced its fleet replacement plan last year. The airline currently has 111 planes in use, of which 90% is leased from its parent, Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd (PMB).

Chief executive officer Tengku Azmil Zahruddin was reported to have said that the airline had a healthy cash position of RM5.3bil to purchase aircraft.

MAS also has the option to swap the B737-800 for the larger B737-900 as part of its plan to transform MAS into the world’s “five-star value carrier''.

To Jala, the new fleet would form a strong platform for MAS to grow profitably. The aircraft are not expected to be delivered until the next few years when the global economic situation would be less of a concern.

The B737-800s are expected to be delivered from September 2010 onwards and would be replacing the airline's B737-400 fleet.

On the six A380-800, MAS said the first delivery was expected next January and the sixth in August 2011. Technical problems at Airbus have resulted in delays in the plane maker's delivery schedule.

Even Singapore Airlines, the first customer for the A380, got its first aircraft only late last year.

MAS was to have taken first delivery in January 2007 and the sixth in December. The statement did not say if MAS had been compensated for the delay.

But Jala believes it would be good to keep the A380 order although the airline could have cancelled it. Airbus claims that the A380 burns 17% less fuel per seat than other big aircraft, thus reducing the carbon footprint per passenger.

“We are now looking at wide body aircraft replacement and will intensify our discussions with the manufacturers.

“MAS is committed to expanding its network for the medium and long haul market,” Jala added.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:pardon: Seems a very well informed person updated the MAS Wiki entry from time to time. I was aware of B737-800 orders in the Wiki entry as early as yesterday morning even before the news hit BERNAMA.

Hijaz, I hope you are well aware that wikipedia is not an accurate source of information because it depends on readers' input. I am so surprise to find out that the photograph of a MH's stewardess that I snapped was put up on MH's wikipedia page without my permission. At least I should be informed.

You can probably sue them under copyright :pardon:

You can probably sue them under copyright :pardon:

Ppl 'stealing' your pics? Tough one. Just regard it as your contribution to mankind's knowledge/IP. Otherwise don't put your pics on the web. :)

Ppl 'stealing' your pics? Tough one. Just regard it as your contribution to mankind's knowledge/IP. Otherwise don't put your pics on the web. :)

Haha... good way to put it, Dr. :drinks:

But with our Dinosos still around, I will never put any high hopes... :pardon:

I wonder how this large order of narrow bodies plays into MH's plans. Many people know that the domestic and regional SEA traffic is heading for overcapacity, with airasia and lion air boasting massive order backlogs. No way MH can match their cost structure, and now they putting close to 50 narrow bodies to fight for the same routes?

I wouldve expected them to make a smaller order, and re-align themselves to be a more international oriented airline, rather than fight a losing battle in the domestic and regional.

not to mention already having their own child, firefly, flying domestic with ATRs....

any thoughts on this?

Next rumour inline for the purchase wide body twin aisle version

- 777-300ER

Where did you hear that, man?

Ahhh I am so so so happy about this ....

Fuuh Fuuh Me too :good::good::drinks:

BoeingVideo.jpg

B737-800

Hey ! That's the Delta plane. Yeah, install the Panasonic EX system into MH 738. But DO NOT copy Delta buy-on-board thingy. This is not America, just so you know, MH. And get rid of the stupid snackbox.

Edited by Isaac

Seems a very well informed person updated the MAS Wiki entry from time to time. I was aware of B737-800 orders in the Wiki entry as early as yesterday morning even before the news hit BERNAMA.

Pakcik, if the MH Wikipedia page is so updated, why I could point out several massive false information just on a first glance?

MHWiki1.jpg

MH's financial year only ended on 31 December starting from the 2005 financial year. Prior to that, it was always ended on 31 March.

MHWiki2.jpg

The 'Sarong Kebaya with yellow flowers with red background are for the Female Inflight Supervisors' is incorrect as the new kebaya looks like this:

DSC05101.jpg

Also, 'Dark shade Ottanio color jackets are for Inflight Supervisors, Chief Stewards, Leading Stewards and Flight Stewards' is no longer applicable.

By the way, that is the stewardess photo I was making so much fuss about. That photo first being published on the world wide web more than a year ago, on 23 March 2007 in this trip report. http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_...ead.main/97116/ Ever since becomming an A.Netter, it is common for me to receive emails from fellow members and non members asking for permission to use my photographs. That is why I am quite surprise it wasn't the case for this wikipedia matter. I am so certain/suspect that the photo was taken from this MW thread http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8331

The route map for MH's domestic service is wrong. PEN-LGK is missing and there are no KUL-SDK and KUL-TWU direct non stop flights.

MHWiki3.jpg

Airbus 330-200 is missing from the table. MH operates 3 of such aircrafts. The capacity for Boeing 737-400 is wrongly stated. There should be 144 seats (16 Golden Club Class and 128 Economy Class seats).

Not all MH's B747-400 are equipped with AVOD. 9M-MPK Johor Bahru is still without AVOD the last time I checked.

Hey ! That's the Delta plane. Yeah, install the Panasonic EX system into MH 738. But DO NOT copy Delta buy-on-board thingy. This is not America, just so you know, MH. And get rid of the stupid snackbox.

Oh, so it's DL. What a surprise! That is a very nice interior. Some other instances that I hope MH could at least imitate for their B738. All these photos are interior of B738 for the respective airlines (Credits to the photographers and the hosting website):

Hainan Airlines

1264341Hainan.jpg

HapagFly (LCC)

1075115Hapagfly.jpg

Air Berlin (Skytrax's World Best LCC)

0526541AirBerlin.jpg

If MH wants something leather inspired,

Lauda Air

0396825Lauda.jpg

0618457Lauda2.jpg

This should be the standard. If those LCCs (HapagFly and Air Berlin) can put so many PTVs onboard, it would be a shame if MH couldn't. The DL interior is most welcome (PTV at each seat). I find the HapagFly's interior suits MH's 'VALUE' the most.

This should be the standard. If those LCCs (HapagFly and Air Berlin) can put so many PTVs onboard, it would be a shame if MH couldn't. The DL interior is most welcome (PTV at each seat). I find the HapagFly's interior suits MH's 'VALUE' the most.

I don't know if drop down LCD's constitute as Ptv's. Aren't ptv's supposed to mean "personal television", thus meaning in-seat systems. Drop down systems are offered with MH's A330 in Y, by your definition, that would be PTV.

Besides Delta, Air Canada has in seat ptv's on it's narrowbody fleet aswell, even the smaller sized E-jets too are included as part of their project XM. Didn't MH quote AC as part of their turn around model, BTP.

Sign in to follow this