MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

MAS To Announce Decision On Aircraft Purchase Plan Soon

IJ may want to complement his FSVC with Tupolev Tu-204 and IL-96s....Aeroflot probably doesn't want them anymore...NOW is our chance!!!

Can, Izanee, can. But you fly them lah. I don't want to have anything to do with them. he heh heh.....

even if you give me a Comet...i'll fly it Radzi!!! hahahaha...always been my dream to fly

by the way...not a real comet...the De Havilland Comet which used to crash a lot.

Edited by Izanee

Can, Izanee, can. But you fly them lah. I don't want to have anything to do with them. he heh heh.....

You will find a lot of cargo operators are using the Tu-204 in Europe. For instance, TNT...

It has RR engines onboard, IIRC.

Been splashing around google news for the last 1 hour:

" KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) — National carrier Malaysia Airlines has agreed to purchase 55 narrow-body aircrafts from the US-based Boeing for 9.6 billion ringgit (3.0 billion dollars) a news report said Monday.

The Boeing 737-800 series costs about 70 million dollars each but Malaysia Airlines, being a bulk buyer, could receive a discount on the price, The Edge Financial Daily said, citing sources from the industry.

It said the national carrier would probably seal the deal for the Boeing planes, ending months of speculation on which plane manufacturer it would choose for its aircraft acquisition program to replace its existing fleet.

The airline opted for Boeing due to technical reasons, the report said.

It said the planes would also help Malaysia Airlines achieve record profits under its recovery plan. It broke back into the black last year.

The French-based Airbus last Thursday had also submitted an updated proposal to supply the airline with about 50 narrow-body aircrafts -- A320s and A321s -- for a list price of about 70 to 80 million dollars each.

Malaysia Airlines is expected to make an announcement on the deal soon, an official told AFP. "

Seems like the baby can hold its turf against the A320 family... :p

3/30/2008 10:43:54 PM Several reports say that Malaysian Airline System may announce the deal to buy up to 55 B737-800 planes from Boeing Co. (BA) on Monday. This order includes an option to buy 10 additional planes. This deal is expected worth more than $3 billion. The planes are expected to be delivered beginning in 2011.

The 737NG are going to quite old technology by that time!

However, for those who had been on the 737NG before, I am sure you will notice the silent movement on the flaps on the 737NGs and the much quieter engines than the 737-300/400/500s. Hope MAS will consider the 737-900ER as well, which could be ideal for some of their regional route.

The 737NG are going to quite old technology by that time!

Maybe in 2011 Boeing has roll out its Y1 fleet which will superseeded all 717, 737-600, 737-700, 737-800, 737-900 and 757-200 fleets. Anyway, congratulation to MH for finally manage to make up their mind over fleet renewal although years late. Being particular about superlatives, at least MH can brag about giving a 5 star value flying experience to passengers onboard the last batch of B737-800 in the world at that time, manned by the world best cabin crews for 8 years (2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011) and counting.

Just using your own words. Saying another party is full of bull whilst dishing out your own bull a few words later will attract brickbats. Pot calling the kettel

Charming.Thank you for the free lesson. I'll bear in mind to return the courtesy when you also spew out 'bull' of your own.

As for the B737-800. MAS list of aircrafts in Wikipedia has been updated to include the B737-800 orders. :drinks:

Edited by HijazKamalHasnan

Dont be suprised when they announce the aircraft replacement programme,;

Narrow body :A320 family for B734

Wide body : B777-300ER to replace B744

source from MAS flight operations management.

I'm sorry man, but apparently you've got your first inside info wrong :(

Surely hope you get the 777-300ER's correct though!

Makes me wonder about the widebody replacement now...

Wondering which way MH will swing..

In terms of widebodies, what can Airbus actually offer?

A340-500?

I just don't think MH will order more A380's. I have a feeling they will cancel it altogether. Like many have said, MH don't need such big aircraft.

Anyway,

Well they did say that they would announce the orders by the end of the first quarter right? Technically tomorrow would be the very last day of the first quarter. Its a monday too. Good day to announce orders, no? :)

Well done! :yahoo:

Charming.Thank you for the free lesson. I'll bear in mind to return the courtesy when you also spew out 'bull' of your own.

As for the B737-800. MAS list of aircrafts in Wikipedia has been updated to include the B737-800 orders. :drinks:

You noticed! :rofl:

DSC01653.jpg

Baby Boeing 737 - if MAS can order upto 55 B738, so can I....

Just placed an order for 1 with Bro Azuddin with the possibility of another 54 to come....

Hahaha.... just kidding... :rofl:

Yeah, another Boeing to my little family.....

Congrats to MAS and Boeing again.....

Chris!!

:drinks: yes finally!!!!!!!!!! Hope the inflight service will improve by then and I get to fly on them, if not then it's the red A320 for me :rofl:

PETALING JAYA: Malaysian Airline System has placed a firm order for 35 Boeing B737-800 aircraft with an option for another 30 aircraft at a total cost of US$4.2bil (RM13.40bil) under its business transformation plan.

MAS managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala on Monday said the national carrier was expected to take delivery of the first aircraft from September 2010 onwards, which would be used to replace its existing B737-400 fleet.

He said the acquisition of the narrow-body aircraft would enable MAS to expand to destinations previously not economically viable. MAS would also take delivery of six Airbus 380-800s in 2011.

“I am very excited with these developments as these new fleets will both form a strong platform for Malaysia Airlines to profitably grow. The deliveries will not happen for a few years yet, when the weakness in the global economy should be less of a concern.”

He added MAS had the option to swap the B737-800 for the larger B737-900.

“We are now looking at the wide-body aircraft replacement and will intensify our discussions with the manufacturers. This is again an opportunity for both Airbus and Boeing to make their best pitch for our business. Malaysia Airlines is committed to expanding its network for the medium and long haul market,” he said.

On the deployment of the Boeing B737-800 aircraft, he said they would be used mainly for the Asean region including the domestic sector in Malaysia and the fast growing economies of China and India.

“As our aim is to ensure that the aircraft for the core network will always be the latest in terms of technology, we will likely partially purchase the B737-800 on our own and partially lease them as that would give us the flexibility to manage our balance sheet and financing commitments, and to sell some of them when the timing is right,” he said.

Commenting on the six Airbus 380-800 planes, he said MAS would take delivery of all these aircraft in 2011, with the first slated to be delivered in January and the sixth in August.

“After extensive discussions with Airbus and Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad, we have agreed on the terms for the delayed delivery of the 6 A380-800 aircraft ordered by PMB in 2003. The terms include an agreed amount of compensation for the delay.”

These six planes were supposed to have been delivered from January 2007 to December 2008.

Now for yet another long wait for the WB announcements..

Nevertheless, good deal by MH. Having the options for the -900 series was certainly a good idea.

Just in case some of you didn't know (bet most of you do but anyway..)

MH has operated the 737-800 before, leased in 2005 or so.

28640_1129335906.jpg

19584_1129538685.jpg

MH's official press release:

31 Mar, 2008

MALAYSIA AIRLINES TO BUY UP TO 55 BOEING 737-800 AT USD 4.2 BILLION, TAKES DELIVERY OF A380 IN 2011

Subang: Malaysia Airlines today announced its narrowbody fleet acquisition plan which saw the national carrier ordering up to 55 B737-800 aircraft. The national carrier will also take delivery of 6 A380-800 in 2011. Managing Director/ CEO, Dato’ Sri Idris Jala said, “Under our Business Transformation Plan, we are embarking on our network expansion to transform into the World’s Five Star Value Carrier.

“I am very excited with these developments as these new fleets will both form a strong platform for Malaysia Airlines to profitably grow. The deliveries will not happen for a few years yet, when the weakness in the global economy should be less of a concern. We have placed a firm order for 35 B737-800 with an option for another 20 aircraft. The total cost of the 55 aircraft is USD 4.2 billion at list prices.

“We expect to take delivery of the first aircraft from September 2010 onwards, which will be used to replace our existing B737-400 fleet and to allow us to expand to points which were not previously economically viable.” Malaysia Airlines also have the option to swap the B737-800 to the larger B737-900.

He also said, “These aircraft will be used mainly for the ASEAN region, including the domestic sector in Malaysia and the fast growing economies of China and India. Clearly, we are now gearing ourselves to benefit from the growth of this region which is projected at around 6 percent per annum.

“As our aim is to ensure that the aircraft for the core network will always be the latest in terms of technology, we will likely partially purchase the B737-800 on our own and partially lease them as that would give us the flexibility to manage our balance sheet and financing commitments, and to sell some of them when the timing is right.”

Jala also announced that Malaysia Airlines will take delivery of all 6 A380-800 in 2011, with the first aircraft to be delivered in January and the sixth in August.

“After extensive discussions with Airbus and Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad, we have agreed on the terms for the delayed delivery of the 6 A380-800 aircraft ordered by PMB in 2003. The terms include an agreed amount of compensation for the delay.”

The 6 A380-800 aircraft was supposed to have been delivered from January 2007 to December 2008. Jala added, “I think today is a good day for Malaysia Airlines, Airbus and Boeing. We kept the A380 on terms that are win-win for us and Airbus. We placed narrowbody jet orders with Boeing. We are happy to work with both aircraft manufacturers.

“We are now looking at the widebody aircraft replacement and will intensify our discussions with the manufacturers. This is again an opportunity for both Airbus and Boeing to make their best pitch for our business. Malaysia Airlines is committed to expand its network for the medium and long haul market.”

Issued by: Media Relations Unit, Communications Division, Malaysia Airlines, Subang

BERNAMA report

March 31, 2008 18:21 PM

MAS To Buy Up To 55 Boeing 737-800 For US$4.2 Bln, To Take Delivery Of A380 In 2011

KUALA LUMPUR, March 31 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines will buy up to 55 Boeing 737-800 at US$4.2 billion or about RM13.39 billion, its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Datuk Seri Idris Jala announced here today.

The national carrier would also take delivery of six A380 in 2011 inclusive of compensation, he said in a statement to announce the airlines' narrowbody fleet acquisition plan.

"Under our Business Transformation Plan, we are embarking on our network expansion to transform into the World’s Five Star Value Carrier," he said.

"I am very excited with these developments as these new fleets will both form a strong platform for Malaysia Airlines to profitably grow."

"The deliveries will not happen for a few years yet, when the weakness in the global economy should be less of a concern," he said.

"We have placed a firm order for 35 B737-800 with an option for another 20 aircraft. The total cost of the 55 aircraft is US$4.2 billion at list prices," Idris Jala said.

He said: "We expect to take delivery of the first aircraft from September 2010 onwards, which will be used to replace our existing B737-400 fleet and to allow us to expand to points which were not previously economically viable."

Malaysia Airlines also has the option to swap the B737-800 to the larger B737-900.

"These aircraft will be used mainly for the Asean region, including the domestic sector in Malaysia and the fast growing economies of China and India."

"Clearly, we are now gearing ourselves to benefit from the growth of this region which is projected at around six percent per annum," he said.

Idris Jala said MAS's aim was to ensure that the aircraft for the core network will always be the latest in terms of technology.

"We will likely partially purchase the B737-800 on our own and partially lease them as that would give us the flexibility to manage our balance sheet and financing commitments, and to sell some of them when the timing is right," he said.

Idris Jala also announced that Malaysia Airlines will take delivery of all six A380-800 in 2011, with the first aircraft to be delivered in January and the sixth in August.

"After extensive discussions with Airbus and Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd, we have agreed on the terms for the delayed delivery of the six A380-800 aircraft ordered by PMB in 2003.

"The terms include an agreed amount of compensation for the delay,” he said.

The six A380-800 aircraft was supposed to have been delivered from January 2007 to December 2008.

Idris Jala said: "I think today is a good day for Malaysia Airlines, Airbus and Boeing.

We kept the A380 on terms that are win-win for us and Airbus.

We placed narrowbody jet orders with Boeing.

We are happy to work with both aircraft manufacturers."

"We are now looking at the widebody aircraft replacement and will intensify our discussions with the manufacturers."

"This is again an opportunity for both Airbus and Boeing to make their best pitch for our business.

Malaysia Airlines is committed to expand its network for the medium and long haul market,” he said.

-- BERNAMA

At last the long waited news finally comes true. I wonder why the A380s had been further delayed to 2011? By then, A380s will no longer a exciting plane since major airlines mad had been flying that.

Sign in to follow this