MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

When did Northwest Airlines fly to KUL ?

If I remember correctly Northwest used to serve KUL - when did they pull out? And where were the flights from? Any other details also appreciated.

Thanks!

The title is abit out here, to me it looks like Northwest making a come back to KUL instead.

I used to saw NWA DC-10 during the early age of KLIA.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

If I remember correctly Northwest used to serve KUL - when did they pull out? And where were the flights from? Any other details also appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh yeah I used to fly them, IIRC NW69/70. The routing is DTW-KIX-KUL. The DTW-KIX is always full (747-451) while the onwards to KUL is near empty (DC-10-30). The route is sold as DTW-KUL with stop and equipment change in KIX, all the while maintaining the same flight number.

I think NWA would have done better if they routed it via NRT instead. Sadly they pulled-out (but NWA vowed to return someday) in around 2001 or 02.

Edited by Christopher Teoh

Sorry! :blush:

Thanks for the response and info.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think they did fly to KUL once, pulled out, then came back again to Sepang, only to pull out again (kinda like PAL IIRC). Yes?

Edited by H Azmal

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think they did fly to KUL once, pulled out, then came back again to Sepang, only to pull out again (kinda like PAL IIRC). Yes?

Yes, you're right. NWA initially flew into SZB via NRT in the 80s but pulled out about 2 years later. Then NWA resumed KUL in 99 or 2000, this time to KLIA via KIX using D10. In fact, NWA D10 was grounded at KLIA for more than a week due to 9/11. I had the picture somewhere ...

Thanks Isaac. I think quite a few other airlines also came to and quit KUL at least twice, I can only think of PAL and NWA.

As to American airlines, I think apart from NWA only PAA (Pan Am) ever came here, right? I don't think AA has ever been here.

I think Pan Am used to fly to KUL when it was still around making the many stops before reaching its destination.

However, we have UA, AA, DL and Nw flying into KUL presently using code share agreements. SO thats not too bad,

maybe they are trying out KUL again to test waters before they decide if they should start KUL. I think if CO can start a KUL-HKG-EWR, where their aircraft lies idle in HKG for a long time, it might be a good thing after all, or NW starting KUL-NRT-DTW or UA starting KUL-FRA-IAD.

All dreams I guess, but we'll see !!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think Pan Am used to fly to KUL when it was still around making the many stops before reaching its destination.

However, we have UA, AA, DL and Nw flying into KUL presently using code share agreements. SO thats not too bad,

maybe they are trying out KUL again to test waters before they decide if they should start KUL. I think if CO can start a KUL-HKG-EWR, where their aircraft lies idle in HKG for a long time, it might be a good thing after all, or NW starting KUL-NRT-DTW or UA starting KUL-FRA-IAD.

All dreams I guess, but we'll see !!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perhaps not so soon, but good idea for my FS AI traffic though. Hee hee

KUL was in UAL book until 9/11 came ... With the things going in UAL now, don't bet on UAL coming here anytime soon. Besides, i heard NWA was reporting huge losses when they were serving KLIA. 9/11 gave them the best reason to bail. I'd say we won't see any US carriers in Malaysian skies in the next 10 years because none of them think KUL will be profitable.

Edited by Isaac

You mean KUL was its prospective new destination? Does UAL still fly into SIN, BTW?

Edited by H Azmal

Guest redharahmad
You mean KUL was its prospective new destination? Does UAL still fly into SIN, BTW?

yupz...twice daily

UA 803/804 IAD-NRT-SIN vv &

UA 895/896 ATL-ORD-HKG-SIN vv

You mean KUL was its prospective new destination?

Yes. Anyway, is the UAL office still there at MAS Building in Jalan Sultan Ismail ?

Sign in to follow this