MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min

This is bad

Dear Editor, I RECENTLY had an unfortunate incident involving a Singapore Airlines staff.

Upon my brother’s check-in for his flight from Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne via Singapore at counter L7 of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, we discovered that Singapore Airlines does not allow bag gage for sports equipment. My brother had wanted to take his golf bag along.

This is unlike other airlines, such as Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, Emirates and Air Asia, which offer up to 15kg free for baggage.

We then checked with the check-in staff on whether it was possible to waive the extra baggage allowance fees or at the very least, provide a dis count.

As she did not have the power to decide, she asked her superior, who also was unable to make a decision.

The inquiry reached a customer service officer, who told us that they could not waive the fees.

We asked to see the policy or written document that states that the extra baggage for sports equipment or golf bags’ is chargeable.

The officer responded by say ing rudely that “The policy is for internal use.”

We explained to him that the airlines we used in the past did not require additional charges for checking-in sports equipment.

He said sarcastically while pointing at other airlines’ check-in counters, “You can go for other airlines,” and walked off.

We were shocked and appalled at the officer’s behaviour and his manner in hand ling the situation.

Is this how a well-respected and award-winning airline treats its customers?

We expected seamless, problem-free, professional service and a pleasant experience from Singapore Airlines.

It was a letdown from the superlative service and experience we have heard and read so much about.

I hope this matter can be investigated so that Singapore Airlines can take measures to improve its service.

We would like an apology from the customer service officer, with assurances that he take responsibility for the sub standard service and experience.

We suggest that Singapore Airlines retrain that officer on professionalism and competency.

His behaviour does not reflect positively on the company.

We hope that one rotten apple will not spoil the whole barrel.

Nobody deserves to be treated in this manner.

Frustrated traveller

Kuala Lumpur

Source: Malay Mail – February 22, 2008

just wondering if they'll do this to westerners? or they have 2 faces just because its a domestic issue?

This is not good Customer Service :(

Anything found on SQ's website regarding this ? :huh:

If i own an SQ, i wont put it in my website... or else my reputation will go down..

didn't expect that from SQ, really.

my aunt travels on SQ very often and she tells me that their service is one of the best in the airline industry.

wonder who is that officer, he should be dismissed asap, or else it will bring more damage to the airline's image.

<_ hmmmm the way counter supervisor responded sounds very much like attitude of a bolehlander being employed by one best airline doesn seem to go away and level professionalism is low remember this statement so call minister tidak suka you keluar lah> Edited by Victor A.

I've traveled with golf set(over size and heavy bag) to few countries on different airlines, no problem at all :)

You should make a statement on SQ website and see what they say.

Eh, bukan ke SQ tu semua bagus ke? :lol:

are they really SQ ground staff or are they MAHB/KLAS staff?

whoever they are - it is shocking behaviour and rightly should be reported. i hate people telling customers to push off if they are unhappy with the service provided.

Eh, bukan ke SQ tu semua bagus ke? :lol:

Ewan, what a nice poster u have. GANAS? I think PANAS would be much better, P as in Pergerakan, and PANAS as in, we demand HOT meals!

Ewan, what a nice poster u have. GANAS? I think PANAS would be much better, P as in Pergerakan, and PANAS as in, we demand HOT meals!

Azri, when I came up with it, it was indeed "PANAS" but I thought "GANAS" sounded errr... more ferocious? :D But in hindsight, yeah, PANAS reflects the kind of food we are demanding!

Let me just say that this kind of thing happens to any airline. Lately my wife went to the Emirates Airlines office in Auckland to pick up our airtickets. While sitting at the counter with a ticketing officer, this lady who obviously is a senior manager for EK NZ operations came out from her office looked frustrated. She told everyone at the front desk area to cover their ears. And she went to the printer, gave it a huge kick and shouted "bloody printer". She then headed back to her office. As far as representing an airline is concern, is this a professional manner. Now I am really looking forward to fly EK! ;)

Is this unique to SQ alone? No, but I am sure it is fun for MH supporters to have a go at SQ when they have a black sheep within a group of white ones! Happy bashing ;)

Edited by S V Choong

well , if the person mentioned indeed a SQ employee , this is really a shame for them . Yes there are this kind of personals working with major airlines , this kind of 10th world mentality personality shall not work in the front line , as they will damage the image of company they r working with . if the "frustrated traveller get to c his/her name , i guess tat person shall be in deep trouble . :D :spiteful:

Edited by Louis L.

are they really SQ ground staff or are they MAHB/KLAS staff?

Bro,

Nothing to do with MAHB or KLAS, SQ was handle by its own except at apron they use MAS facilities.

SQ's baggage allowances here:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/cont...e_allowance.jsp

I'm guessing that the pax concerned had baggage that exceeded the weight limitations. In that case SQ is quite correct in levying a fee.

It is pretty poor form indeed for front line employees of any organisation to behave in that manner. However, I'd suggest that "Frustrated Traveller" might be able to obtain a better recourse by writing directly to SQ customer relations.

Edited by Keith T

I'm very much interested to envisage (ok lah, speculate to be precise :) ) as to what Keith could possibly launch upon the chap concerned had the incident befallen upon him instead :spiteful:

But then you're not in habit of lugging golf sets around, are you Keith ? ;)

I was thinking, if SQ staff really hate their job, then find other job to do! dont release tensionto someone innocent! duuhh

plus, My partner used to work in the department of transportation in Perth, lots of passengers whining, complain, etc to bus drivers how rude they are.. then She lodge the complaints to buses dept. guess what? do you think they going to take action on what people said? NO! all complaints are ignored, unless you go to TV station. then they'll do something. and think, THis is in PERTH australia. and the facilities are the major Transport in Perth.

I was thinking, if SQ staff really hate their job, then find other job to do! dont release tensionto someone innocent! duuhh

plus, My partner used to work in the department of transportation in Perth, lots of passengers whining, complain, etc to bus drivers how rude they are.. then She lodge the complaints to buses dept. guess what? do you think they going to take action on what people said? NO! all complaints are ignored, unless you go to TV station. then they'll do something. and think, THis is in PERTH australia. and the facilities are the major Transport in Perth.

The SQ counter staff at KLIA have questionable knowledge. Many times my VS gold card has been entered incorrectly, I'm told sorry we don't take it or sorry we don't know about the extra's you get.

The gate operation is a joke with flights listed on time on the screens and upon arriving at the gate a piece of paper greets me telling me that the flight is late.

I will say that I have never found them rude, just incompetent from time to time.

I'm pretty sure BA upset people recently when they stopped taking surf boards and other things.

BC Tam - I'd have been quite prepared to pay the baggage levy, however that is a distinct issue to the CSO's appalling behaviour. I'd be complaining about his behaviour, not the fact that I was made to pay for baggage which is over and above the standard allowance (though it is nice when airlines make an exception - I suppose they can't always do so).

Min - I've sent feedback, both positive and negative, to SQ customer relations quite a number of times and have always been satisfied with the responses.

Robert - Agreed! They usually muck up the FQTV/FQTS info when 2 different FFPs are involved. There was also once when I had to interline bags across to LX. The check in agent said she didn't know if they had an interline agreement with LX (one of your Star Alliance partners FFS!!), and when she couldn't reach anyone on the phone - asked me whether LX is an LCC. :pardon:

Edited by Keith T

all i can say is.. be nice.. be fair... and balance.. do what you have to do, your repsonsibilities, Your job. SQ have a good reputation in the world, (even thou im not a big fan) this is just a domestic issue, so, learn from it. not just because one loser, you ruin everything.

Robert - Agreed! They usually muck up the FQTV/FQTS info when 2 different FFPs are involved. There was also once when I had to interline bags across to LX. The check in agent said she didn't know if they had an interline agreement with LX (one of your Star Alliance partners FFS!!), and when she couldn't reach anyone on the phone - asked me whether LX is an LCC. :pardon:

Keith

The usual FQTV problem is VA getting entered instead of VS but to be honest its right about 80% of the time.

Its a bit shocking the response I get when I say that SQ own 49% of VS - is it lah - oh !!

As for MAS since 2003 I have only had 1 MAS flight get auto added to my VS account and nobody can explain why. I just have to send of the boarding pass.

VS golds priorty standby on SQ and sometime this works on the shuttle as well :yahoo:

Nothing unusual about this. Singaporeans are not famed for giving good service anyway. How SQ does it? It is through a rigourous training of an "indoctrination" of sorts and a myriad of dos and dont's that is thicker than a BIBLE. The result is a graduate that is somewhat of a robot. It is slowly into their careers that they will find a balance between what is plastic, and what isn't.

As for their ground staff, there are the good and bad ones. Here in Singapore they are handled by SATS (grouchy, and plastic when they try to be friendly). But overseas, they are direct employees of SQ.

This boils down to how the station manager wants to "inspire' the people under them. If i am not wrong, SQ has their own staff at KLIA check in. I have not flown SQ out of KUL for 6 yrs already (so memory could be fuzzy) but my last First Class experience out of that airport on the ground left much to be desired. The counter staff were indifferent to a premium passenger (ME), not to mention the pathetic lounge that SQ passengers have to endure in KUL (oh that stale, stale egg mayo sandwic'!).

So yes, fire away with a letter to SQ Customer Service and highlight this problem. I hope you have his name because if he is indeed a Station Manager, he will be in deep trouble and in the worst case scenario, recalled back to Singapore and be delegated some menial job like being in charge of ping-pong table bookings at the SIA Training Center.

Yes, SQ is THAT serious about taking employees to task especially when CS faux-pas has been committed by that said person.

I had a golfbag problem with SQ in 2001. SQ ticketing staff told me that I get 10Kg extra for golfbag. But at check-in in ZRH, the dumb girl told me no.

I gave the girl my Krisflyer silver status card with my tickets and passport, just to ensure that my membership no is in. Then the golfbag issue started... after some arguing, I said "I have flown with golf bag before and usually this is counted separately". She then held up my green coloured card (silver status) and said loudly "if you are really a frequent traveller, you would have a gold status and with gold this would not be a problem."

Gosh, so I was practically kicked out of the queue with the instruction to pay up or lose weight. So I called the ticketing agent and asked about the allowance, then I walked back to the counter and asked the agent to repeat the answer to the girl. Yes! 10kg. Ha!

So since then, everytime I fly with golfbag, I will make sure that a note is made during the booking that I am with golfbag. MH will add 15kg, and the last time I flew SQ economy in Nov. 2006, I got 10kg. This has to be noted in your reservation. This actually works quite well - I once decided at the last minute not to bring my golfbag, and at check-in, the lady had a puzzled look and asked me "sir, it says here that you have a golf bag, did you forget it?"

EDIT: not all airlines have this free golf bag policy. Swiss will carry skis, snowboard for free, but not golf equipment. So it depends on the airline.

Edited by Azman MN

Sign in to follow this