MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Michael

Noise cancelling headsets in business class

I am just curious as to know if they are still being used or not?

QF use BOSE ones in First & Business class.

Oh I see not sure what MAS use though.

Wads of cotton perhaps ?! :p

Speculation on my part here, not flown in J before :)

Noise canceling headphones are used in MH's F and J class too.

The one thing I picked up when flying Business Class for the first time (on upgrade) and subsequently flying in Economy class is that these noise cancelling headphones are worth it... You get sleep, can hear the baby crying at a whisper so yeah... Well worth it.

I think SIA also use Bose ones but they are Dolby NR I know that.

Alex

The one thing I picked up when flying Business Class for the first time (on upgrade) and subsequently flying in Economy class is that these noise cancelling headphones are worth it... You get sleep, can hear the baby crying at a whisper so yeah... Well worth it.

I think SIA also use Bose ones but they are Dolby NR I know that.

Alex

How can they help you sleep - they only work when switched on playing something??

Noise canceling headphones are used in MH's F and J class too.

Didn't see any when I flew J to EWR last November.

Didn't see any when I flew F from LAX to KUL in December either.

??

How can they help you sleep - they only work when switched on playing something??

They don't have to play anything...it helps to muffle the engine drone, amongst others, something like a white noise.

They don't have to play anything...it helps to muffle the engine drone, amongst others, something like a white noise.

Noise canx headphones are really good to have on when you are trying to sleep on an aircraft.

I just plug them in, turn down the volume, and just hear the soft noise of the engines. Dont even hear when people next to you are moving about or when someone walks down the Iles.

The term is anti-noise. There is a built in mic that picks up ambient sound and samples it, then reproduce it exactly 180 degres out of phase and two sounds of the same frequency but with opposing phases will cancell out each other.

The Bpmbardier Q series propjet has the feature built in the cabin where speakers positioned in the cabin produces anti noise in much the same way. The difference is amazing when an ON-OFF comparo is done.

There is one mechenism in the plane where it analyze the noise, then produce polarisation reversed waveform to cancel the noise by interference. Same applies to noise cancelling headphones where it produce inteference to cancel the noise

Does that mean one will have to speak louder to be heard in the Bombardier Q aircraft ? Or is the system optimized for specific bands of wavelengths ?

Fascinating, if it can be applied to the better half's nagging noises ..... :D

Does that mean one will have to speak louder to be heard in the Bombardier Q aircraft ? Or is the system optimized for specific bands of wavelengths ?

Fascinating, if it can be applied to the better half's nagging noises ..... :D

No. there is a system logic built in for it to 'anti-noise' only against constant frequencies such as the drone of the engines, whooshing sound of airflow, whine of the turbines. Conversations are normally of varying frequencies over a short period so the effect of sound cancellation is not noticeable. Anyway, nobody converse with headphones covering the ears unless intercom is used.

Anyway, nobody converse with headphones covering the ears unless intercom is used.

What, you haven't paid recent attention to youths of today ?! :p

Thanks for clarification !

How do you tell the difference between a noise cancelling and normal headphone?

There will be words to that effect on the headphones. ie Sony MDR XXXX noise canceling headphones.....

Guest Michael

The airline is advertising on their Italian site they still have them.

Sign in to follow this