MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
TK

Walk around an airliner

Super Cool TK,

Thanks for showing so many manuals.

Will love to see a shot of you in full uniform with 777. Must be darn cool.

Catch up soon. Sorry will be bz lately, my 3rd POB ( child ) just arrived 15th Sept. :yahoo:

Cheers :clapping:

Catch up soon. Sorry will be bz lately, my 3rd POB ( child ) just arrived 15th Sept. :yahoo:

Congrats, Colin, no wonder you've been so 'silent' overhere at this Forum ;)

Everything OK with wife and baby ?

Hello Guys,

Thanks for blessings. Both mother and son are doing well. :lol:

Will try to post some of Damien's photos on another thread soon. Currently on annual leave from flying for 3 weeks to help out with domestic chores and to blend in with new responsibility as a new daddy. heeee heeee :clapping:

Expecting more sleepless nights soon for me haaa haaa haaaa :rofl:

Cheers to all.

Colin

Yes, new born baby means sleepless night for daddy.. :lol:

BTW, congrats Collin... make your family proud of you... :)

some of us are hardcore Flight Simmers...

I work hard on my work!!!!

IPB Image

some of you may understand what you see.

If you dont, i be glad to help.... :)

]

haha ,HARDCORE Flight simmer, can i ask u a question,please?

i can see a pair of glasses, can u still become a pilot if ur eyes arent that good ? (just a random quesiton)

lucky, i have amazing eyes :yahoo:

Derek..my eyes are GOOD...its just looks or i would say i can see better with glasses.

Yes, a Pilot can have glasses for flight...and should have a spare "corrective lens" meaning, we Pilot's can wear contact lens...

I join without glasses....as i grew older, after seeing too many stewardess, i decided to wear glasses to have More clearer view. :D

I join without glasses....as i grew older, after seeing too many stewardess, i decided to wear glasses to have More clearer view. :D

Haha... Meor was asking why I took off my glasses yesterday... I don't put on glasses unless I wanna see "clearly"! :D

Yes, it help to confuse me :lol: Sorry TK...

A very technical one mah. A working technical diagram would help he he B)

Hi there Azrin,

I play PMDG`s B744 alot and I always start up the engines in this fashion which I believe is the gist of TK`s technical explaination. Also I have a bit of real life observation on the B744 when my old man was flying for MH`s B744 about 8 to 10 years ago. Before Osama`s stunt in NYC, I used to request for jump seats and alot of these were when my dad was flying as well! Always the friendly crew gave me a clear and easy to understand explaination of what was going on. (normally the standby one in the flight deck will brief me if the thing got too technical and I looked blur)

1) First flip the round looking knobs located behind the throttles to RUN (They look like nice leather balls hhahahah!!! Nice to touch too hheheh...I remember this Captain when ever he shuts down the engines he will run his fingers over the knobs a few times which I belive he was making sure that all were OFF but I think he enjoys that feeling of touching them as well!!!! :rofl: ..)

2) Then reach to the overhead panel where the engine starters are and pull on the starters. If everything is ok when you pull the appropriate starters out say engines 3 and 4 you put the knobs to RUn then you obviously should pull out starters 3 and 4 too after which they should illuminate as a white light. The autostart system will do the rest for you! :yahoo:

3) Just do not get too excited and start all 4 at a time! On a B744 if I am not mistaken you should only start 2 at a time. 2 by 2 like what LH does. I am not sure what is the maximum that you can start up on the B744s but I am quite sure it`s 2 at a time. Too lazy to read the manuals. I remember that on Malaysia Airlines last time my old man used to start 4,3 ,2 and 1 seperately. But on TK`s B777 you can have simultaneously 2 engine starts togather right?

Hope that helps,

Darren Liew

Edited by Darren Liew

So, it doesn't mean paperless cockpit ??

you still have to hold high altitude charts, don't you ?

Hi there Idham!

Well the B777`s checklists are displayed on the LCD screens. When you perform a task you would use this touch pad kinda thingo to put a tick next to it. So it is not a hardcopy kinda checklist. You do it like how you would do the checklist on your notebook(putting ticks on a webby for example) so there is no paper involved.

This is generally a new idea for BOEING however is an old one for rival AIRBUS who have been using a similar concept for many years now. On their AIRBUS A320/A330/A340s check lists are displayed on their ECAM or for those who are into BOEING it`s the AIRBUS equivalence of the ECIAS. WHen you perform the appropriate checklists the list will turn green if I remembered correctly(last jumpseat on MH`s A330s like 8 years ago!) If you havent done any items it will be displayed in BLUE color. That is why on landing the pilots call out (landing checks.....>No BLUE) as one of the items. So now you know why they say that and their BLUE is not the pilots feelin` sad!!!!!

Hope that helped,

Darren Liew

Edited by Darren Liew

That's what I've been taught too.

Oops,

Really forgot exactly the procedure. But either way works fine with the PMDG. Not too sure about real life as I have not seen my old videos of my old man flying for many years now. The CX one even better. If you have seen the ITVV video, the captain first pull starters I am guessing with the AUTOSTART off as in PMDG normally I have to off that otherwise the starters wont light up. Well then as the N2 and N3 spool match then introduce the fuel.

So sorry for the confusion but hey this is FS2004 I am playing and if PMDG are as accurate as the reviews say so I guess that both ways will work as well in real life! No difference. :yahoo:

Best regards,

Darren Liew

You pull the starter

Then you introduce the fuel

Then the starter will light up ,

Either way with AUTOSTART ON or OFF

Starter stick is pulled first , then fuel is brought in .

I'm no Captain on the 747 fleet for many years or whatsoever , but take my word for it :)