MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
TK

Walk around an airliner

Nguyen..

How about this one, not that sharp photos.

Mostly taken on moving aircraft. I do noticed, NOW, there is one TU-134 in good shape at far end of hangar.

Ilyushin-18

VN-8188_IL-18_saigonmw.jpg

Singapore Airlines

MegaTop....he he he

9V-SPF_1mw.jpg

They thought it can go further...nope...

Sorry for not that sharp quality.

30May99_9V-SJK_1mw.jpg

A proven successful Airbus A310.

SQ work horse.

31May99_9V-STR_1mw.jpg

See the eagle head on the tail? There's a reason for it.

Hicom reported directly to Mahathir and he wanted to call the new airline 'Pacific Eagle'. They did a search and found out the name had been taken up, so a senior guy at Hicom thought up the name 'AirAsia'. The old man grudgingly agreed, so in compromise, they use the eagle as the logo. By the way, the Hicom guy, the original founder of AirAsia, is now living in Singapore.

Doc, do we know why Tun wanted to call it Pacific Eagle? Did that have anything to do with a target market?

Was able to fly both Hicom's AAA and AAB...sweet memories by seeing these snapshots, TK !!!

Great pictures of the TU134's and IL-18 at SGN...only 1 TU134 left now there (plus an AN-2), however, now also 2 AN-30's stored at the end of 25L...

Maybe uncle Loc has some pictures of these ?

Sempati 737-281, ex All Nipon since 1971

After Sempati to Phuket Airlines.

PK-JHG at Singapore Changi 1996.

10Feb96_PK-JHG_1mw.jpg

Was able to fly both Hicom's AAA and AAB...sweet memories by seeing these snapshots, TK !!!

Unfortunately mine wasn't too great. Flew once and the seat already cannot take any butt anymore. It's so flat.

Unfortunately mine wasn't too great. Flew once and the seat already cannot take any butt anymore. It's so flat.

My first flight on AAB was on jumpseat from KUL (now SZB) to LGK.... :)

yup!but their failure back then was due to the september 11 right?because they sold AK in 2002....

Not really. I understand it never made money. I flew AK a few times to KL and their air fare was cheaper than MAS at RM555 for a return ticket. There were talks to replace their 733 with 32S but it never materialized and they sealed the deal to sell AK to Tune Air in late 2001.

Their 733 were configured with 8 Business Class seats which they marketed as Perdana Class. I had never seen anyone flying in their Perdana Class though. Yup, Perdana Class was always empty.

Good thing about AK compared to MH then was that they had wet towel service before departure, menu in Economy Class and the foods served generally were better than MH. The air fare was cheaper too :)

Not really. I understand it never made money. I flew AK a few times to KL and their air fare was cheaper than MAS at RM555 for a return ticket. There were talks to replace their 733 with 32S but it never materialized and they sealed the deal to sell AK to Tune Air in late 2001.

Their 733 were configured with 8 Business Class seats which they marketed as Perdana Class. I had never seen anyone flying in their Perdana Class though. Yup, Perdana Class was always empty.

Good thing about AK compared to MH then was that they had wet towel service before departure, menu in Economy Class and the foods served generally were better than MH. The air fare was cheaper too :)

Besides they also planned to purchase B767-300 for flight to London. You know, when AK entering into market, i feel very delightful as finally we have 2 full service carriers in which 1 is govt and another 1 is private just like Japan (JAL&ANA),Korea(Korean Air&Asiana) and Taiwan (China Airlines&Eva Air)....

Edited by dean hizudy

Besides they also planned to purchase B767-300 for flight to London. You know, when AK entering into market, i feel very delightful as finally we have 2 full service carriers in which 1 is govt and another 1 is private just like Japan (JAL&ANA),Korea(Korean Air&Asiana) and Taiwan (China Airlines&Eva Air)....

Wow! Really ? I wasn't aware of this at all. But too bad unlike EVA Air, Asiana Airlines and ANA, in a way, the original AK was closely connected to the government too. But yeah, such a shame it did not survive :(

An OVERSIZED cargo friendly plane.

nose2.jpg

Looking up at the nose from ground.

nose.jpg

Belly of the jumbo. no scratches, no dents, no trails of fluid leaks

belly-1.jpg

PW4062, 63,300lbs of thrust. no birds, no dents, no damages

blades.jpg

Landing lights as well as wing light.

9m-mps2-1.jpg

Static dischargers (small 'antenna' sticking out from the winglets, ailerons, tails and some other part of the plane) . 68 of them on the jumbo. Check that all of them are there.

wingtip.jpg

Port side wing. Must be clean. No ice no snow on the surface particularly during winter operations.

wing-1.jpg

Landing lights as well as wing light.

9m-mps2-1.jpg

Now only I realized they are not the same size. Big-small eyes. :p

Almost forgot that this topic existed. Was already a member when TK started this topic back in 2005 and back then I vowed by hook or by crook, I must enter the aviation world. Fast forward now 7 years later, sadly I am heading in another direction. I am still harbouring the dream though. And to quench that dream I always make it a point to go on a flight at least once a month. The destination is secondary. It's the flying that excites me more. Reading back this topic from Page 1, I have a tinge of sadness here in my heart. It's hard to believe that it has been 7 years. :cray:

I hope the other pilots that we have here will continue keeping this topic alive. You guys have no idea the feelings that us mere mortals have when looking into the inner workings of an industry that we can only look on from outside, and one that holds a really special place in our hearts.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri