MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
TK

Walk around an airliner

From time to time i will do my very best to update you all with my aviation photography.

Some photos may be the ones that not normally seen like ramp shots and so on.

Cockpit and cabin will also be included. Plus meals that i have during my flights.

I hope this will give you all the different side from our normal aviation photography. It may be like a trip report, but i rather have it here as this will be updated from time to time about my different trips.

I hope you will enjoy and it is so great to share with all enthusiasts out there.

Start with my work station...

user posted image

thanks Nizam...

A humble wood holds on a Giant 777...

user posted image

Normally brakes are "off" once an aircraft is parked.

That is why we see wheel chocks on an aircraft wheels, it really does stop the aircraft from any movement. Hydraulic pumps are off anyway...

user posted image

Its just amazing, while we with our car have the gear on neutral or "park" with the hand brakes on. huh.gif

Waoo.. Nice Clean Office there Mr.TK look realy new. biggrin.gif Are you Captain of that aircraft sir ??

Nope, i am not a Captain on the 777. I am just a co-pilot as a First Officer.

user posted image

Aircraft making a left turn and climbing to initial altitude of 14,000 feet.

MH 777 Captain is also rated to be seated on the right seat...if no co-pilot available.

Many of my friends are leaving... sad.gif

Thanks for sharing some fabulous views TK. My little wish if you have a picture of your plane approaching clouds and lining up the runway. We can only see from the sides, which is not so cool sad.gif

By the way, what is the purpose of the bright red / orange thing with the 'Remove Before Flight' wordings?

My favourite sights are when pilots do walkarounds and the tow truck guys waving the red thing, perhaps with the wish to have a safe flight. I videotape these whenever I see them.

Interesting stuff TK!

You mean there's no such thing as a 'parking brake' for jetliners? FS tipu! ohmy.gif

One question, how soon after take-off does the autopilot comes on usually? Heard that pilots actually spend more time eating than actually hand flying the plane.. true? laugh.gif

Rozhan,

Red and bright tag...

Its a Gear Pin...if an aircraft is on long transit, towing, and other things where the gear pins are required to be place to lock the wheel from operation...meaning if collapse of the landing gear.

During pushback and start, then after completion and you see an engineer waving with the red bright tag....thats a Tow pin. What it does is they put a pin into a socket, where the hydraulic line for nosewheel will be depressurise....

So the tow truck with tow bar connected will be in control of the nosewheel steering...pilot won't be able to steer the nosewheel while towing.

While it pushes and turn the plane, the cockpit tiller moves too...because its a direct link cable. we just look as it moves...but most of the time we are busy looking at engines instrument for both engine start simultanously on the 777.

Parking Brake...

Yes its available. As we stop, we set the brakes to Park. How to operate it...we press both rudder pedal inwards...for brakes, then pull the park brake lever. And the plane is in Park mode.

If Hydraulic pump is depressurise after shut down the engines, we set to OFF only after confirmation from ground engineer saying "chocks in position"

Most airplane has Brake accumulator...its a spare hydraulic line to use for Parking brake while other hydraulic pumps are off.

Example...we taxi to the holding point...then wait before line up...we normally set the brakes to Park...to realese the brakes...we depress the rudder pedal inwards and the brakes lever will automatically release.

cool stuff eh...This is Boeing style...airbus the same and other airliner that i know of. biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing TK... looking forward for more biggrin.gif

Example...we taxi to the holding point...then wait before line up...we normally set the brakes to Park...to realese the brakes...we depress the rudder pedal inwards and the brakes lever will automatically release.

Eh... eh... same lah here with my foot pedals...

except that to park both pedals depress inward, then "CTRL+/"... ahak..ahak..

to release... just press both pedals...ahak..ahak.. laugh.gif laugh.gif

OH great, we have a pilot in the house!

TK,

Been wanting to ask a pilot this question : If you've any experience piloting (or co-piloting for that matter) an airbus, do you prefer airbus's 'side-joystick' controls or Boeing's more conventional 'yoke' steering columns?

waaa, must be romeo quebec with EFB there. oi jonathan........these are real good stuffs from TK. our nite shots are 'ptui' compared to these man!!

Wooooooooot..

Great shots bro!

Eh...ur friends leaving for which airline? laugh.gif laugh.gif

wow, im awaiting more Mr TK. Sad to see your friends leaving but that leaves good news to me. More pilots leaving = MH needs more pilots. That means i ahve a chance KAKAKAKAKAKAKAK!!!

wow, im awaiting more Mr TK. Sad to see your friends leaving but that leaves good news to me. More pilots leaving = MH needs more pilots. That means i ahve a chance KAKAKAKAKAKAKAK!!!

12492[/snapback]

Walter start practice write job application letter like H Azmal posting back at Golden Lounge sure you get the MH pilot cadet biggrin.gif hahahahahaha

I have to agree with everyone here. Thanks TK for giving us an insight from the pilot's point of view. The nose wheel shot, I suppose it was taken in a Japanese airport ? Cause I saw the intials ANA there.

Friends leaving ? To greener pastures aka the Middle Eastern airlines I presume.

My experience of an airliner is only Boeing. Started with the 737 and now the 777.

Joystick on an airbus is just like any joystick...it saves space, lighter to handle because the artificial weight feeling.

Airbus, joystick flying...i think its cool. I have tried on the simulator.

I find that its pretty nice to handle. All i move was my wrist...not my hand!!!!

Airbus concept is Control Wheel Steering, not fully manual mode.

Meaning....i move right on the stick, aircraft goes right...remember, the joystick goes back to neutral, aircraft still turns right.

Boeing 777, fly by wire...remember.... fly by wire in boeing is new.

So 777 i would say, it is fly by wire...the yoke is nice to handle, just like any aircraft we see in this world, with only a few uses the joystick.

Concept same like above...but a few minor difference.

On a 737...cables. The best sports car i have flown. (forget about fighter jets)..

The yoke on 737, once you turn right....you hold that position and aircraft goes right...once you want to level off, we just put it back to neutral.

Its different when controlling with a fly by wire stuff and cables links.

some of us are hardcore Flight Simmers...

I work hard on my work!!!!

user posted image

some of you may understand what you see.

If you dont, i be glad to help.... smile.gif

some of us are hardcore Flight Simmers...

I work hard on my work!!!!

user posted image

some of you may understand what you see.

If you dont, i be glad to help.... smile.gif

12505[/snapback]

I am flight simmer.. here the answer your Flying in MH777 Romeo Quebec.. hahahaha biggrin.gif Give chance to Hardcore flight simmer like Norman too answer.. hahaha laugh.gif

TK, you mentioned that on the Airbus (presume same on 777), when you move the stick to the right, the plane turns right but when the stick returned to neutral position the plane continues turning.

So does this mean you have to move the stick left to stop the plane turning? Also how do you control how sharp you want to turn?

Thanks. smile.gif

TK, you mean the Airbus's ailerons are locked in place even when the stick is back in neutral and continue rolling? I thought all planes will continue turning if one wing is higher than another even if the ailerons are in the neutral position, just that the rolling stops?