MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Branden Ng

Singapore Airshow 2008 (19th - 24th Feb)

You don't have to get down in JB. Immigration officers board the train and check your passport at your seat.

Dunno now, a couple of years ago, I had to get off with my bag at both JB and Woodlands, for customs and immigration. That was the last straw - now I drive down or take bus.

It is the same until today, everyone have to alight from the train with their luggage and pass through Immigration and bags need to be scanned. Meanwhile Singapore Custom will be boarding the train with the K9 unit to sniff for illegal barang while you are lining up at the immigration checkpoint in woodlands. They would be no passport stamping in Tg.pagar and that would be the last stop for the train.

No Immigration would come onboard to chop your passport anymore.

Wow... thats nose bleeding shots all of them, fisheye!!!!!!! Yummmy.. I wonder SQ 380 will be on static display as well???

Wow... thats nose bleeding shots all of them, fisheye!!!!!!! Yummmy.. I wonder SQ 380 will be on static display as well???

need tissue ? :p

nice pictures! :rolleyes:

Edited by LeeTZ

Friends,Have you ever heard of KTM? Keretapi Tanah Melayu intercity train services. For RM 68 you'll get a first class sleeper and maybe breakfast from KL to Singapore...check it out http://www.ktmb.com.my/
Yeah I agree with U but U better think also the travelling time. I think U will get stress if too long 'stuck' in train. :pardon:
need tissue ? :Pnice pictures! :rolleyes:
Why tissue!!! blooded norse ??? :rolleyes:

I will be going on the 23rd. Staying at Kallang . Anyone going on the same day? PM me..we can meet up :)

Lee and I will be there starting Fri-Sunday!!! :yahoo:

I will be going on the 23rd. Staying at Kallang . Anyone going on the same day? PM me..we can meet up :)

hey. im staying at kallang too.which hotel u staying? im not sure which day im going coz i dont have a credit card to book the tickets lah..

hi guys,

seen a picture on jetphotos.net of the static at the airshow. Not very impressed, just a few biz jets, the usual USAF/USN aircraft and the A380. :angry: I hope that for the public days they put some RSAF aircraft on the static. That's how TUDM spiced up LIMA2007, which was a great success for me! Asian Aerospace 2006 was crap, so hope this weekend will show some improvement. Otherwise they can make a phone call to TUDM and ask them to fly in some Mig's and Hornets. That display was AWESOME at LIMA!!!! :clapping:

Singapore's military is RSAF? Got 'Royal'? Who gave them? Lee Kuan Yew? :p

Just looked it up, 'Republic'? Meh.

Edited by jani

All biz jets were accessible on trade days... quite nice

Thanks alot Gav, See you tomorrow if we meet up there, and how's the Wx/????

So sad, could not go ..

Have a course for two weeks ..

LIMA also missed ..

Hai, nasib badan .... -_-

Iggy, buy me a souvenir ... :)

hmm, I have a layover in SIN on Friday. Arriving early morning and leaving Sat.morning.

But meetings the whole day... Didn't bring my zoom lens either. Any suggestions on a quick sneak peek of the airshow?

Check this out, Garuda Indonesia orders four 777-300(ER) at the Singapore Air Show! :yahoo:

Boeing, Garuda Indonesia Announce 777 Order

SINGAPORE, Feb. 19, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] and Jakarta-based Garuda Indonesia today announced at the Singapore Air Show that the airline has ordered four 777-300ER (Extended Range) airplanes. The order is valued at more than $1 billion at current list prices.

Additionally, Garuda confirmed a previous unidentified order for seven Next-Generation 737-800s placed in 2007, and announced that it has converted 18 of its existing 737-700s on order to 737-800s and six 777-200ERs on order to 777-300ERs.

"We are extremely pleased with the support provided by Boeing to restructure previous purchase commitments," said Emirsyah Satar, president-director and chief executive officer of Garuda Indonesia. "This will enable Garuda to strategically implement its fleet renewal and expansion plan to meet the demands of a changing marketplace."

Garuda originally placed an order for six 777-200ERs in 1996 and 18 737-700s in 1999, which were recorded on Boeing's order books. With today's announcement, Garuda's total order now stands at 25 737-800s and 10 777-300ERs jetliners. Additionally, the airline acquired purchase rights for an additional 25 737-800s and 10 777-300ERs.

"The Next-Generation 737-800 and 777-300ER's dependability, low operating cost and passenger comfort will provide unmatched value and reliability for our passengers and enhance the position of Garuda as the full-service airline of Indonesia," Satar said.

Garuda's 737s will be fitted with Blended Winglets, which will improve fuel efficiency, increase range, and reduce CO2 emissions and takeoff noise.

"The digitally designed Next-Generation 737-800 and 777-300ER are the most technologically advanced airplane families for the single- and twin-aisle market flying today," said Dinesh Keskar, vice president, Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "We are honored that Garuda has selected Boeing jetliners to support its strategic modernization plan and we welcome this occasion to strengthen our long-time partnership with Garuda and our commitment to Indonesia's aviation industry."

k64269_lg.jpg

man, i am wondering where is the 20 billion worth of orders???????????

Planemakers Look To Asia But Credit Crisis Looms

February 22, 2008

A lack of major orders at the Singapore Airshow could point to a deeper than predicted cyclical downturn for planemakers already smarting from delivery delays on new aircraft.

Manufacturers expect fewer orders in 2008, as the industry comes off a record year for sales and enters a period of ramped up production. Airbus said on Wednesday that its orders will halve to around 700 from a record 1,341 orders last year.

Boeing does not give forecasts, but said it expects orders to exceed the 475-480 planes it is targeting to deliver to customers this year.

But demand for new aircraft could be hit more than Airbus and Boeing expect, as a growing global credit crisis curbs airlines' ability to finance purchases, and causes a drop in premium and business travel.

"Just like in the home mortgage sector, airlines need to put more equity into financing aircrafts. This will have a cash strain on the airline industry," International Lease Finance Corporation chief executive Steven Udvar-Hazy said in Singapore.

That might make airlines more cautious on increasing capacity by ordering new planes, said Udvar-Hazy, who runs the world's biggest plane leasing firm.

Airlines ordered slightly over USD$10 billion worth of planes at the Singapore Airshow, a far cry from the USD$100 billion in orders booked at the Dubai air show last year.

Air traffic growth in India and China is expected to grow at more than 11 percent a year for the next three years, nearly three times the rate in the United States and double Europe.

Boeing expects total plane orders from Asia Pacific to reach 8,350 in the next 20 years, out of the 28,600 planes needed worldwide.

Of these, nearly 2,000 will go to Southeast Asia and more than 1,000 to Southwest Asia -- mainly to India, Boeing senior vice president for sales Dinesh Keskar said in a presentation at the airshow.

The lack of orders from Indian airlines in Singapore surprised some analysts and industry watchers.

"We expected some orders from the India carriers. But we're probably seeing a lull in activity as doubts over the wider world economy make airlines pause," said Aviation International News senior editor Charles Alcock.

Airbus chief salesman John Leahy said the company was hoping to sell at least 10 A380 superjumbo to Air India and an additional 15 of the world's largest passenger jet to Singapore Airlines.

Chinese buyers were also noticeably quiet in Singapore amid uncertainty about how consolidation between heavyweights including China Eastern and Air China will shake out.

Airbus announced an order of five A330 cargo planes to BOC Aviation, the aircraft leasing unit of the Bank of China but none of the major passenger airlines confirmed orders.

Asian airlines already have a swag of new planes arriving and the spike in capacity is likely to reduce profitability this year.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents 240 airlines, said this week that airlines are likely to see a further profit cut this year as the global credit crisis deepens, while fuel costs stay near record highs.

"Asian capacity is set to expand 8.8 percent in 2008, and demand is expected to grow by only 6.4 percent. This is not a recipe for long-term health," said IATA Director General Giovanni Bisignani.

Boeing, however, remained bullish about the region.

"If you think about the situation in Asia, clearly this is a market that in terms of its economy is much larger, more diverse and more sustainable than when we saw past recessions in the US," said Randy Tinseth, Boeing Vice President of Marketing for Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

Boeing has so far this year received 130 orders, a large chunk of them from Indonesian budget carrier Lion Air's order of 56 737s at the Singapore event.

With the Asian market quieter than expected, analysts say planemakers could look to the major carriers in the United States, which are undergoing a period of consolidation which is expected to improve their balance sheet.

Delta and Northwest are expected to announce a merger soon, while United and Continental are likely to follow suit. The formerly loss-making carriers are seen to be in dire need of fleet renewal.

"If we see a merger in the US in the next month or so, we should see some orders coming out of there," said Peter Harbison, executive chairman of the Sydney-based Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation consultancy.

(Reuters)

Sign in to follow this