MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
DavidC

MH BTP 2

Hi Guys,

Just downloaded MH BTP 2 from their website, interesting segments to note:

1. Exhibit A4 - MAS hub and spoke network (slide no. 7)

2. 5-year network plan ..... where operating new routes where the A330 is too large and the B734 does not have the range - so are we talking 737 - NG? (slide no. 40 / page 75)

3. 5-year fleet plan (slide no. 41 / page 77)

I have yet to read the entire plan but merely browse through. Given the mammoth task of turning MH around, I do see some of the plans as well intended. One more thing, on the snek boks, page 34 - 36 (slide no 19 - 20) is an interesting read - pay special attention to the graphical representation there!

Feeback, anyone?

David

lots of hot girls, pretty colours and nice graphs to show that they are doing the right thing. got more important things to do..... can't be wasting time with this.

Edited by Izanee

This BTP2 is perfect for MBA thesis; the authors have done their homework. Agree with their industry assessment from page 9 to page 17. :good:

‘Exhibit E4: Traffic Flow Matrix’ and ‘leisure-focused and business-interested’ p24, is invented by MH. MH will neither be a legacy airline nor a lcc. :nea: :pardon:

‘inappropriately configured fleet’ to ‘tightly-matched fleet that meets our needs and commands premium’ p25, MH is to retire 744 and 333.

‘Exhibit E5: The American Airlines Experience, p25’, MH is to reduce EY seat pitch to improve CASK. :angry:

From ‘high distribution costs’ to ‘lower distribution costs, p25, MH to trim travel agent commissions.

From ‘middle-of-range aircraft utilisation’ to ‘leading-edge aircraft utilisation’, p25 is a good idea. However, knowing MH flight planning, the 5 minutes reduction in turnaround can easily compromised by increasing block to block time. :blink:

From ‘MAS people’ to ‘MAS leaders’, p27, MH go to promote young turks (below 40 yo) to senior management. Basically, those old timers who are not supportive will be by passed or place in a corner.

‘Exhibit F11: Project Delta (Examples of initiatives), p34’, MH is to move London station from LHR to LGW.

‘Exhibit F13: List of Procurement Initiatives, p35’, snackbox is wave 1 of cost cutting. Further cost cutting on meals is expected in wave 3. Guess they will downgrade or remove alcohol from EY, serving chicken only entrée. :( :angry:

Exhibit F18: Fare distribution strategy, p37, ‘Dominated and Restricted channel’ will remain substantial even after improvement.

‘Exhibit 20: Project MOSAIC, p39’, MH hub and spoke network is to cross sell partner airlines seats rather than vice versa.

Exhibit F21: 5-Year Network Plan (2008-2012), p40; implying MH is losing substantially on USA and Middle East route; break even or marginal losses on South America and South Africa routes; Europe and Australia is the bread and butter; Asia is the cash cow and star.

In the hospitality industry, star rating reflects service level. One can’t provide 3 star service and claiming 5 star status. Since MH priority is to reduce CASK, expect MH to loss the 5 star status.

Airlines in the USA practice no frill domestically, where everyone is offering no frill. When American airlines fly international, their service is comparable to competitors. However, MH is offering snack box system wide without considering competition.

In the short term, MH can capitalised on past reputation, increased yield without impacting load factor. As MH service level is lower than legacy airlines and the yield will be reflected likewise. Doubt MH can maintain high yield in the long term.

Exhibit G1: MAS 2008 Corporate Scorecard, p47 believed is IJ & Co’s KPI. The whole BTP 2 exercise is orientated to meet this KPI. BTP2 will work for next 2 to 3 years but thereafter is detrimental to MH. By then, it won’t be the current team’s problem.

:drinks:

agree with your analysis KK. once IJ&co leave, what happens to MAS is not their problem. Losing their five star status and destroying their reputation as a legacy airline will be the final blow for MAS. They want Aer Lingus, they got Aer Lingus. Good luck to them I say.

What a terrible shame on an excellent airline with superb reputation for service. MAS has been raped and pillaged many many times...now they are being strangled at the same time.

I really don't know what to say anymore. Things will change whether we like it or not. I guess life goes on, hey...

Edited by Izanee

I don't think using AA's "More Room Throughout Coach" is a good analogy. AA introduced MRTC hoping that pax will choose it over other legacies. I've flown AA during this MRTC-period, and the space was very very good. But pax were not willing to pay extra and AA subsequently reverted to the typical hi-dense layout. MH, on the other hand, has been known all these years to offer a good seat pitch in Y, and some pax actually choose MH, over SQ, CX etc, because of this. If this factor is removed, then there's even less compelling reason to fly MH. MH did not "experiment" like AA but MH is known for the extra room. Now, MH intends to move lower and closer to AK X territory.

Talking about AK and MH's BTP, there is an advert in today's The Star by AK, as the low cost carrier of Man U, showing a pic of Man U players celebrating its 4-nil win over Arsenal in a recent FA Cup tie.

However, there is a smaller font statement "P/S We don't need no business turnaround plan." I think AK is going very cheap here as the BTP is really for stakeholders' consumption and the target retail market knows hardly anything about any BTP. And btw, it actually backfired on AK this time - since AK is a proud sponsor of a top English football team, it should get its English correct - & not be confused with American English. What AK is saying in the advert in MU's English is that "AK needs all the business turnaround plans"!! (To the uninitiated, "two negatives" become "one positive")

heh, looks like Air Asia and Tony Fernandes are trying to emulate Virgin Atlantic and Tony Branson in their handbags with British Airways..

Not typical in Malaysia, haha.

Edited by jani

Guest Michael

Nup I got it sent personally from Idris Jala himself I feel lucky and special.

Some people still fail to comprehend simple English about Aer Lingus, Lan Chile etc. and yet they're proudly celebrating their statements over and over again.. :p Embarrassing...

Good job anyway, MH. Some of us understands why, at least..

Edited by Sanjay Thaker

what simple English are you talking about Sanjay? I don't get that either.

By the way - their (MAS) half past six ideas are wearing me down. People fly MAS (and not SQ) because they like their wide seat pitch, excellent crew and great service (including food). That's just their choice. SQ is in a league of its own - they can fly anywhere and they will get passengers (including premium ones).

MAS has decided to throw away their selling points and flush them down the drain. In a few years...i don't know if they will be able to get passengers. The facts speak for themselves - their passenger figures are dwindling every month.

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that they proudly sold their LHR slots to AI WAAAY too soon.

NOw they want to expand but tarak slots..Ape nak buat? Go to Gatwick la....what else. Their top guns are too smart for their own good.

Edited by Izanee

Some people still fail to comprehend simple English about Aer Lingus, Lan Chile etc. and yet they're proudly celebrating their statements over and over again.. :p Embarrassing...

Good job anyway, MH. Some of us understands why, at least..

Appreciate if you can elaborate.

what simple English are you talking about Sanjay? I don't get that either.

By the way - their (MAS) half past six ideas are wearing me down. People fly MAS (and not SQ) because they like their wide seat pitch, excellent crew and great service (including food). That's just their choice. SQ is in a league of its own - they can fly anywhere and they will get passengers (including premium ones).

MAS has decided to throw away their selling points and flush them down the drain. In a few years...i don't know if they will be able to get passengers. The facts speak for themselves - their passenger figures are dwindling every month.

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that they proudly sold their LHR slots to AI WAAAY too soon.

NOw they want to expand but tarak slots..Ape nak buat? Go to Gatwick la....what else. Their top guns are too smart for their own good.

Dude maybe instead of repeating everything over here over n over n over again. If you really want things to change why don't you go and make ur self a bloody god damm aappoinment with the MAS Management team and tell them what you think should be done! at least in that case the people who can actually make a decision and change things around will get ur point instead of those who can't!

Raj pulak dah nak jadi Nik H the II. :angry:

Izanee has proven his commitment through his numerous letters to NSTP, some of which were replied by Dato Rashid Khan himself. I still don't get it why everytime a comment being given by someone about MH, that person is either asked to become an employee MH or to meet the MH management face to face to deliver his/her case. Izanee is a doctor in United Kingdom for god sake!

Raj pulak dah nak jadi Nik H the II. :angry:

Izanee has proven his commitment through his numerous letters to NSTP, some of which were replied by Dato Rashid Khan himself. I still don't get it why everytime a comment being given by someone about MH, that person is either asked to become an employee MH or to meet the MH management face to face to deliver his/her case. Izanee is a doctor in United Kingdom for god sake!

Aiyah mr keyboard warrior, why you must refer to me. I've withdrawn from intelligent topics such as this. I've learnt there's nothing to be gained from engaging in pointless banter with faceless people and am only here for light entertainment.

Bet you'd not say that easily if we know each other. ;)

Dude maybe instead of repeating everything over here over n over n over again. If you really want things to change why don't you go and make ur self a bloody god damm aappoinment with the MAS Management team and tell them what you think should be done! at least in that case the people who can actually make a decision and change things around will get ur point instead of those who can't!

This is a public forum, everyone has the right to debate, opinion, agree and disagree. If one disagree with another’s comment, should counter with point and reasoning. In a debate, if one brush aside competitor without reasoning is conceding.

Leader (be it PM, CEO, MD, Chairman or what not) is not divine or perfect. Obeying and following them blindly and without questioning is not unlike George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’.

Thank you Azizul and KK... its nice to know that there are some people who understand what the problems are. Speaking to the management won't change a thing - despite letters to the contrary in NATIONAL newspapers, they are still adamant that their plan is the best and carry on with it. Their course of action has already been set....no one here can change that. This forum is as KK Lee says - an internet forum for light discussion, banter and debate. Its not a war. No one here is against MAS. We are Malaysians and proud of our national airline at some point. We all want it to be better and that is why were are so passionate about it.

I've learnt that you can't just follow someone even if they were your boss. I've seen many crap seniors during my time and if I followed what they said - patients care will be compromised. We all have brains - so think for yourself. Dont just follow for the sake of following.

Edited by Izanee

Point to ponder, Dr Izanee is into cardio-thoracic surgery. Which means he is licensed to cut you up and rip your heart out should the need arise :)

(please correct me if otherwise)

I imagine Dr Izanee would dearly love to met out similar treatment to current management body of MAS ! :p

Hmmm ..... Perhaps Cikgu Ewan may avail himself to put right the few very minor gramatical and spelling anomalies contained therein ? Nothing major I must stress :)

Hmmm ..... Perhaps Cikgu Ewan may avail himself to put right the few very minor gramatical and spelling anomalies contained therein ? Nothing major I must stress :)

Owwwhh... should I? It's almost midnight and already I'm in my superhero tights. Hahah

superhero tights? damn.

BC..you're right. I would love to open their chests and do some serious internal replumbing. that's what they all need.

pity i never did neurosurgery.

Edited by Izanee

Sign in to follow this