MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Fairul

Hamad International Airport, Doha

arrivalterminalhia1apri.jpg

source : http://acepilotkhan.tumblr.com/post/46744867974/hamad-international-airport-prepares-for-soft-opening

The soft opening of Hamad International airport has been delayed last night ( at least 2 weeks)..due to some concerns from QCDD ( Qatar Civil Defense Department )..I've personally deal with them last year during handover stage and the process to get the approval itself was so tedious..worst than the authority here in Malaysia.

http://dohanews.co/post/46781625965/hamad-international-airport-fails-to-meet-civil-defense

I wonder if there's a long term parking service? Like we park our there for 2-3 weeks at airport when we go home to Brunei for holidays...

I wouldn't be surprised if there a delay- Like the Ikea here. Suppose to open in Jan but its delay till March..

I wonder if there's a long term parking service? Like we park our there for 2-3 weeks at airport when we go home to Brunei for holidays...

I wouldn't be surprised if there a delay- Like the Ikea here. Suppose to open in Jan but its delay till March..

yes, there is long term parking space. That IKEA project at Festival city has been delayed for ages, not only for 2 months. It was planned since 2007! the closest IKEA that we had before the current one was in Dubai or Riyadh..( normally pit stop from Umrah road trip )

Very nice, Fairul, unfortunately no layover in DOH for the rest of the year for me. Maybe 2014. :)

Al Baker says postponed airport opening in Doha due to contractor

The soft opening of Doha’s new Hamad International Airport, which had been scheduled for April 1, has been delayed because building occupancy permits have not obtained from the Qatari Civil Defense Department, according to Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker.

Describing the delay as “a slight glitch,” Al Baker said in a Chicago press conference Thursday, that the Bechtel Corporation, the principal contractor on the new airport, was to blame for the postponement.

“This unfortunately is thanks to Bechtel who is responsible for the project management of the airport and who have failed to comply with the

Qatar Civil Defense building code and safety requirements.”

Bechtel has not made any comment on the matter.

The facility was originally due to open in December 2012, but that date was pushed back to the beginning of April when flights from low-cost carriers would have started operations.

Al Baker did not announce a new date for the airport’s opening, but expressed confidence that it would be operational “by the end of the year.”

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/al-baker-says-postponed-airport-opening-in-doha

MAHB is co-managing the maintenance facilities at Hamad.

Just a small portion I would say..all the best to MAHB...hope it will last JVing with Qatari company.

Still don't understand why they don't 'connect' the old- and new airport, with a new N-S runway for instance ...

All the updates to the current airport seems to be a waste (of money)...

QUOTE(fairul @ Oct 23 2005, 01:39 AM)
i dun think its by norman foster..

never heard of him having a project at middle east..

some more..wudnt it be weird of him to clone his own design at the other part of the world.. laugh.gif

have to google the architect of this airport..

11494[/snapback]

You've got a point there Fairul, I doubt Norman Foster will replicate his own design into another project.

Just replying to a 8 year old post :)

Norman Foster has indeed replicate his own design, as one can see in Beijing Terminal 3. The interior looks fairly identical.

The Architect of Hamad International Airport, Doha is HOK. An American firm.

Still don't understand why they don't 'connect' the old- and new airport, with a new N-S runway for instance ...

All the updates to the current airport seems to be a waste (of money)...

They are Qatari Uncle Piet..known for that..for instance..I just came back from Doha amd suprised to see a new multilevel car park at the temporary arrival terminal..and that is like few months away from the opening of HIA

The temporarily steel parking structure at Doha arrival terminal is to compensate the parking taken away by the Doha Metro project.

I'm really surprise they still upgrade some facilities at the old airport. e.g. The engineering hanger etc.

Money is no object.

It also helps that their is plenty of cheap labour available.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/news/qatar-end-corporate-exploitation-migrant-construction-workers-2013-11-17

A new report by Amnesty International finds Qatar’s construction sector rife with abuse, with workers employed on multi-million dollar projects suffering serious exploitation.

“It is simply inexcusable in one of the richest countries in the world, that so many migrant workers are being ruthlessly exploited, deprived of their pay and left struggling to survive.”

Salil Shetty, Secretary General of Amnesty International.

Qatar Airways will receive 13 of its first A380-800 in early June of this year as it prepares to move its entire operations to Hamad International Airport, the Doha-based carrier announced at Arabian Travel Market 2014.

“Qatar Airways is making news yet again with the newly opened Hamad International Airport and the anticipated arrival of the airline’s first A380 early next month,” said Akbar Al Baker, CEO at Qatar Airways.

“This is indeed an exciting year and a new chapter for Qatar Airways as we will move our entire hub operations to Hamad International Airport on May 27.”

“We also eagerly await the delivery of the world’s largest passenger jet and have no doubts that our new A380s will play a key role in our strategic expansion plans, and will help expand the onboard capacity – in the full comfort and luxury that our passengers expect,” added Al Baker.

http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/05/atar-airways-receive-first-a380-early-june/

May 27th 2014, 2015 or 2016?

Qatar Airways will receive 13 of its first A380-800 in early June of this year .....

It would seem our local journalists are not alone in this department ......

Pictures: Qatar Airways Begins Operations From New Doha Airport Qatar's national airline shifted operations to the much-delayed Hamad International Airport in Doha on May 27.

Qatar-Airways-1-590x386.jpg

Akbar-2-590x400.jpg

http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/05/pictures-qatar-airways-begins-operations-hamad-international-airport/#.U4bzQnKSzHR

Qatar Airways’ first and business class lounges will not be ready when the airline switches to Hamad International Airport on May 27.

CEO Akbar Al Baker said further delays to the interior fit-outs mean the lounges won’t be ready for “another two months”, according to Business Traveller UK, which recently flew into the new airport on the airline’s new A319 all-business class service. “It is such a complicated and high-end [operation] that the contractor is having difficulty keeping up with the kind of finishes we want,” he said.

Al Baker said that in the intervening period, business and first passengers “will be accommodated in lounges we already have and if we find the capacity is getting filled we have vouchers for them to use.”

It is another frustration for the carrier, which has already lost $650 million per year through the airport’s delayed opening. The launch couldn’t be put off any longer as it would delay the airline’s summer schedules and impact A380 deliveries, said Al Baker.

http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/05/delays-new-doha-airport-lounges/#.U4b0anKSzHQ

Surprising quiet on operational hiccup for a new airport.

Edited by KK Lee

had a 7hrs transit at the new terminal the other days... the good things - it is huge and really impressed with its architecture so a very very long walks is a must :D . A numbers of sculptures and interesting playground for the kids which give the airport more characters as well as the huge teddy bear smack in the middle of the airport. The huge LED screen just amazing but somehow being blocked by one of the structures towards the end of it. plenty of smoking lounge and most important thing really appreciate the quiet area/room with a really nice and comfortable chairs for sleeping(well.., not really a quiet especially with the loud snoring can be heard), unlimited free wifi (not sure whether it will be a permanent thingy or not). the food court is having a really great view of the tarmac :good: Tv lounge( the TV still unavailable when i was there) and plenty of desktop at the internet area, tons of power plugs around the airport, the array of shop lots just amazing and there are still a no. of shops still not open yet. the mood lighting is really good not too bright and the ambient temp just nice as well.

now the not so good things about it - lack of info/signage available, not even an airport directory available yet you have to rely 100% at the info. counters as well as the airport personnel around the airport, hence making it really inconvenience to navigate the airport. there is only one money xchange counter at the airport(think more will be open later). i'm not sure whether the food court will be adequate during the peak hr( only half the size of food court in KLCC) and the toilet.. the entrance is impressive but once you go inside you get this meh feeling... and the cleanliness is on par with KLIA which is not a good thing for a brand new airport. <_<

It's definitely better than DXB, not sure about AUH since never been there, given time and if they polish more on their services definately will rival Changi/HKIA/ICN for the best airport title award.

Edited by nrazmoor

They were too busy after the world biggest lcct title that they overlooked even the simplest thing .. lol

Looks like same thing overlooked at HIA/DOH as well, judging by the 'raised' walkalators we encountered there

Or were there design costraints that necessitate that feature ?

I think you will be best person here to clarify on matter :)

Looks like same thing overlooked at HIA/DOH as well, judging by the 'raised' walkalators we encountered there

not sure about HIA Main Terminal Building...it was not part of our scope..ours was only runway taxiway system / tunnels

not sure about HIA Main Terminal Building...it was not part of our scope..ours was only runway taxiway system / tunnels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9RKywtw_Ng

Old video (2012)...

Sign in to follow this