MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Boeing to announce $8 billion orders at Singapore Airshow

Found this at flightglobal

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/...r-ten-777s.html

Garuda to sign for ten 777s

By Nicholas Ionides

Garuda Indonesia will be acquiring ten Boeing 777s, an aircraft it plans to use for long-range services to destinations including Europe.

The carrier will be getting ten 777s for delivery from 2010 and the airline’s president Emirsyah Satar might be coming to Singapore on the week commencing 18 February to sign the agreement with Boeing, says a Garuda spokesman in Jakarta, who was responding to reports quoting from the airline’s executive VP of operations Ari Sapari.

Sapari is quoted as saying the first 777 will be delivered in 2010 and the aircraft will be acquired under an agreement in which the carrier will firstly lease and then purchase the 777s.

The spokesman was unable to confirm this but says the carrier’s president plans to come to the Singapore Airshow and might use the occasion to sign an agreement with Boeing regarding the 777 acquisition. The Singapore Airshow is on 19-24 February.

He says the 777s will be for longer-haul routes to places such as Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Garuda suspended services to Europe a few years ago but plans to return there.

Garuda’s widebody fleet currently consists of six Airbus A330s and three Boeing 747-400s. The A330s are used for services to Australia and Asia and the 747s are largely used for services to the Middle East.

If Garuda goes ahead and orders ten 777s, it means Garuda is effectively reviving an earlier plan.

In the 1990s the national carrier ordered six 777-200ERs but then the 1997 Asian financial crisis led it to postpone delivery.

Later it became unclear what the new delivery schedule would be or whether Garuda was still going through with the deal.

Besides 777-200ERs, the carrier in September 2005 signed an agreement for ten Boeing 787-8s and early last year it signed an agreement for 25 Boeing 737-800s.

But in more recent times Garuda has failed to make any public mention of the earlier deal for 787s.

Where is MH ??

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

New planes or not... I'm finding it low-value to fly MH domestically with the new 'snack-box' :angry:

I still like to buy nasi lemak on Tengku F's planes

(sorry for bringing the snack-box issue here)

Where is MH ??

Masih Halusinasi

Sorry... no offense... just cant resist it :D :D

MH may have a better plan. It's ok for Garuda to order 10 T7. Just look at their current wide body fleet. Still, 10 T7 couldnt match MH's w/b fleet. MH may order 20 T7s but load factor is probably the main restraint. Or maybe they still thinking on a better way to woo in more pax and freight (maybe) then start thinking new aircrafts. But I believe they keen in replacing the aging B734 fleet this time around and most probably will place orders on brand new B737 in who-knows-what-variant. Widebody-wise, as we know, leased A380s. But i still prefer A350 or B787. Save the fuel, saves the fare (a la Save the cheerleader, saves the world) :p

I think MAS is not yet able to fanthom how much a threat other carriers will be to its services. With the current trend of it losing customers month after month based on its monthly statistics, where will the passengers be when its new planes arrive.

I can only feel the current 'MH' ad blitz in newspapers is a desperate attempt to touch the emotions of people to continue flying MAS. All the ads shouts are awards after awards, which makes the experience all the more wanting when people actually do fly them and see the current standards of product offerings.

Agreed Rozhan. They claim that in a few years they will be making RM1 billion profits/year. How they do it is beyond most of us. That is assuming that they will manage to keep the current number of pax. The fact that they are losing market share is going to make things more difficult. How much higher can you raise the prices?? How much more cost can you cut? RM 10 snack box??? Come on. Get a grip.

As Rozhan rightly said, they underestimate their current rivals. In the end, their arrogance and denial will be their downfall.

Agreed Rozhan. They claim that in a few years they will be making RM1 billion profits/year. How they do it is beyond most of us. That is assuming that they will manage to keep the current number of pax. The fact that they are losing market share is going to make things more difficult. How much higher can you raise the prices?? How much more cost can you cut? RM 10 snack box??? Come on. Get a grip.

As Rozhan rightly said, they underestimate their current rivals. In the end, their arrogance and denial will be their downfall.

Ye lah Izanee. All I can see is that MAS only knows how to increase fuel surcharge and downgrade inflight meals and amenities (such as no eye shades as someone mentioned previously).

Other airlines are agressively coming out with real products that pax can appreciate.

Ye lah Izanee. All I can see is that MAS only knows how to increase fuel surcharge and downgrade inflight meals and amenities (such as no eye shades as someone mentioned previously).

Other airlines are agressively coming out with real products that pax can appreciate.

I cant agreed more.....well MH once take the pride of being a Malaysian brand now...it has gone with the time. They has nothing more to advertise apart from being the best cabin crew ...

yo MH.......hurry up laaaaaaaaa!!!!!

You will need to be patient.

IJ seems to be in SPore mainly to pick up the award.

He is quoted in today's business papers as EXPLICITLY saying, " We will NOT make any announcement (on aircraft purchase during the S'pore Airshow). We are still going through teh final assessment."

19-02-2008: MAS talks with Airbus see turning point

by Gan Yen Kuan

Email us your feedback at fd@bizedge.com

SINGAPORE: The negotiations between Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) and Airbus on the latter's delayed delivery of the A380 aircraft will soon see an outcome beneficial to both parties, said MAS managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala.

"I am happy with the latest round of discussions with Airbus. If they are happy, we are happy, too. We are probably nearing the point we could reach win-win," Jala told reporters here yesterday before the award presentation ceremony of the Air Transport World's (ATW) 2008 Airline Industry Achievement Awards.

However, he declined to give further details on the latest development of the negotiations between MAS and Airbus, saying that it would only make a full announcement by the end of March or early April.

Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd ordered six A380 aircraft from Airbus in 2003, which are intended to be leased to MAS upon delivery. However, Airbus failed to deliver the aircraft due in 2007.

The delay had resulted in MAS seeking compensation from Airbus, and there are news reports that MAS may consider cancelling the orders.

Last month, MAS executive director Tengku Azmil Zahruddin Raja Abdul Aziz had said its negotiations with Airbus had not progressed as well as anticipated, nonetheless saying that it was getting "to the end of the discussions."

Yesterday, Jala said: "Three weeks ago, I was not happy. But now, I am happy." Asked if that indicated MAS would proceed with the order and at the same time be compensated, he merely smiled.

Jala said the A380 would fit well into its plan of expanding its hub-and-spoke network, as the aircraft was suitable for connected flights.

Meanwhile, Jala denied speculation that MAS would seal a deal with either Airbus or Boeing on its planned purchase of more than 50 narrow-bodied aircraft during the Singapore Airshow to be held from Feb 19 to 24.

"We will not make any announcement (on aircraft purchase during the Singapore Airshow). We are still going through the final assessment," he said.

I can see that Idris Jala will not cancel the A380. And I believe, they are buying many Airbus birds. That's why there will be no announcement in the Boeing airshow.

I can see that Idris Jala will not cancel the A380. And I believe, they are buying many Airbus birds. That's why there will be no announcement in the Boeing airshow.

It really seems to be the case for MH and I suspect likewise on moving to an Airbus fleet...

So far, most of the Boeing orders for the Singapore Airshow (as of today) are from Garuda for the T7 and Lion Air for the B739.

I really wonder what Lion Air is going to do with more than 150 B739 in the fleet.... :mellow:

Anyway, what is of more interest to me now is the US Air Force tanker bid..... fingers crossed for the 767 platform... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

It really seems to be the case for MH and I suspect likewise on moving to an Airbus fleet...

So far, most of the Boeing orders for the Singapore Airshow (as of today) are from Garuda for the T7 and Lion Air for the B739.

I really wonder what Lion Air is going to do with more than 150 B739 in the fleet.... :mellow:

Anyway, what is of more interest to me now is the US Air Force tanker bid..... fingers crossed for the 767 platform... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Lion Air is reportedly colllaborating with an Australian company for creating Lion Air Australia. So I guess the expansion plan therefore requires that many planes.

Sign in to follow this