MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alan B.

The Capt who called the F50 obsolete!

Below is a copy of an e-mail that I just sent to Firefly.

I once again had the pleasure for using your services. As always the crew were a joy to fly with plus the convenience of flying out of SZB is truly wonderful. On the 31st January on FY3208, Capt FXXXX was very informative in his in-flight announcement. He took the trouble to tell us about the ATR that will be arriving soon. However, I was most taken aback by his comment that the F50 we were flying as “old”, “obsolete” and the source of frequent delays and problems. He should not do that. It makes the passengers very uncomfortable and loose confidence in the aircraft and the airline itself. Please advise him not to berate the aircraft he is operating.

Note: Name of captain removed for this post

Edited by Alan B.

An aircraft is never obsolete, as long as it's maintained properly and up to CAA standards !!! :angry:

I am shock and awe. 'Euff said. :angry:

Edited by Adrian M

An aircraft is never obsolete, as long as it's maintained properly and up to CAA standards !!! :angry:

fully agree, you can still see DC-3 flying in NZ serving sight seeing tours!

Hmmmm... wonder what got the Captain to utter such a statement? I can only think that something is brewing within the organization, but that is just a personal thought.

hey people, dont worry about the captain.

he's the pic. its his life and yours on board.

what if he speaks of the truth?

what if he 'sense' something amiss when he did the take off...

okay...

Old, obsolete it's all true.. compare old Honda city with New honda city...

New ones will give u LESS delays and problems..

Delays = old equiptment, compare 737 to 320...see it?

okay...

Then, the flight should not take off in the first place. As a pilot, you're supposed to give confidence to the passengers not scare them.

i agree with you Pieter. the key word here is 'maintainance'.

okay...

if you're a pilot, would you depart/take off in an aircraft where you 'sense' something is amiss? would you jeopardized the life of your passenger? on the other note, is a vintage car obsolete and should not be on the road? the word obsolete is only applicable if there has been a neglect in its maintainance. good maintainance of a vintage car, it will always serves you well. i believed FireFlyz F50s and MasWings F50s are well maintained F50 despite the difficulties in getting spare parts and the high price of its spare parts.

The 737 classic which is the -300/400/500 is even older than F50, 737 itself that time doesn't even have auto refuel method like what F50 has. The only problem with F50 is the spare parts are very expensive, the manufacturer is still providing the parts, just that it doesn't manufacture the aircraft anymore. LAEs used to call F50 small aircraft but with widebody system.

hahaha, nice announcement.

Ok, i'm going to be very diplomatic here, before people start ranting and raving.

We have to remember there is two sides to every coin, and the context in which we may recieve, may not be the context in which it was intended. For all we know this Captain has had nothing but troubles in recent times with the F50 so is venting his anger, or possibly he is just a mad ATR fan so and can not wait for the new product later this year.

Best regards,

The mad Dash 8 fan...hahaha

When i flew with Firefely last time from SZB-JHB, the same capt gave a similar announcement. I have no issues with it at all and so does other passengers. He felt bad for the bad conditions of the interior of the F50 but never did he mentioned that the plane is being unsafe or whatever.

Edited by Azuan Zahdi

I personally was NOT "scared" because of what he had said, I just feel one should never use words like "Obsolete", "cause of delays" etc to describe the aircraft he was operating over the PA. That should be confined to private conversations. I understand he didn't say those words in "bad faith", but he should have been more diplomatic in his choice of words.

Capt FXXXX

Rambo is back!!!

Edited by Radzi

Maybe he's tired of the F50 and looking eagerly forward to the new ATR.

He's giving more info than ones should... :p

But ethically, he definitely should watch his mouth. His pants (and ***) could end up in fire... yikes!

Sign in to follow this