MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
David L

What are these things called?

Hi

I've always wondered for a long time what the things on the wings are called during landing, I will give you a photo.

450px-Aircraft_wing_flaps_full_airbrakes_dsc06838.jpg

I know that the ailerons are the things near the tip of the wing that control left to right movement, and i know that the flaps are the things that extend to reduce airspeed. The only thing i dont know is the things extending from the wing as shown in the picture. It always comes up during landings, can someone tell me what they are called, and how you enable them during flight?

Thanks

Spoiler , used to reduce lift and used as a speed brake as well

The flap helps to maintain lift at lower speeds (i.e. approach , take off )

The spoiler will deploy automatically when the plane touches down ( If armed ) or else it will deploy when reverse thrust is applied

Ah, thank you, just what i was after :) What controls does the pilot have to make to enable spoilers during landing?

The pilot can either manually select the spoilers, or 'ARM' the spoilers which will automatically activate the spoilers once a ground signal is received from the main landing gears (i.e once the plane touches the runway)

Is the autobrake switch the same as Arming the spoilers or are they totally different things?

totally different thing.

Spoiler control lever is next to the throttle quadrant, whilst the autobrake thing is elsewhere (depends on the aircraft i guess).

It's called a spoiler/speedbrake... depending on usage.

Spoilers are used to spoil the lift from an airfoil so as to make the airplane stop on landing ie reduced the LDA (landing distance available).Normally it is armed by the pilots prior to touch down and it is activated once the weight on the mainwheels is activated (oleo compression).If used as a speedbrake then only the inner spoilers will be deployed simultaneuosly,again by pilot manual activation.On some aircraft differential spoiler activation is used to assist the airplane in the rolling axis,to help in turning/rolling the airplane.

And to add...spoliers/speedbrakes,are also known as lift dumpers.Some of the spoilers are actually flight spoilers and some are actually ground spoilers.Flt spoilers only comes up in flight thru pilot activation by pulling the speedbrake lever as required.Why?sometimes its a quick way to reduce speed if required or to quickly descent to altitude as assign by ATC.Thats why,sometimes,during descent,you might feel that the aircraft is suddenly shaking/vibrate and if u look at the wings,some of the spoiler panels are actually deployed.On widebody jets ecspecially,flt spoliers are also use for roll control,for minor heading changes as moving the aileron will result in a more abrupt rolls,passenger comfort in mind of course.

Ground+flt spoilers are activated on the ground for destroying lift on the wings so the main wheel/autobrakes have greater efficiency in stopping the plane.Actually about 60% of stopping efficiency comes from the spoilers,so its very important that it is deployed on landing ecspecially on short runways.Spoilers are also auto deployed during rejected takeoffs.Thats roughly it I guess...so next time whn u see at the wings on your flt,u will have an idea whats happening..enjoy.. ;)

And to add...spoliers/speedbrakes,are also known as lift dumpers.Some of the spoilers are actually flight spoilers and some are actually ground spoilers.Flt spoilers only comes up in flight thru pilot activation by pulling the speedbrake lever as required.Why?sometimes its a quick way to reduce speed if required or to quickly descent to altitude as assign by ATC.Thats why,sometimes,during descent,you might feel that the aircraft is suddenly shaking/vibrate and if u look at the wings,some of the spoiler panels are actually deployed.On widebody jets ecspecially,flt spoliers are also use for roll control,for minor heading changes as moving the aileron will result in a more abrupt rolls,passenger comfort in mind of course.

Ground+flt spoilers are activated on the ground for destroying lift on the wings so the main wheel/autobrakes have greater efficiency in stopping the plane.Actually about 60% of stopping efficiency comes from the spoilers,so its very important that it is deployed on landing ecspecially on short runways.Spoilers are also auto deployed during rejected takeoffs.Thats roughly it I guess...so next time whn u see at the wings on your flt,u will have an idea whats happening..enjoy.. ;)

Thanks Faridz!! Can panggil captain ka?

How does this work actually? How can the spoiler actually change headings, like left one deploy right one no deploy?

Thanks Faridz!! Can panggil captain ka?

How does this work actually? How can the spoiler actually change headings, like left one deploy right one no deploy?

No lah...just call me Faridz,still a right hand driver..the spoilers actually deployed thru the flt controls in the flight deck,and it actually works for roll control ecspecially during high speed flt at altitude...if u want to turn right,the right spoilers will slightly deployed,as this will create drag on the right wing.So the right wing shall drop,while the left wing with more differential pressure aka lift,will lift up,creating a right turn and vice versa...thats how its suppose to work...will the masters correct me if i am wrong,maklumlah,can be a bit rusty on the theory...hee...hee

Thanks Faridz!!

I go flight sim and try see FS got or not wakakakaka. Thanks!

No prob Walter..to be honest when I fly as a pax,it still amazes me how the components on the wings work in perfect unison!!...its actually amazing to see how the metal bird actually flies.. :D

Sign in to follow this