MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Malaysia Airlines bashing ... too much lah

my dear friend naim - insulting someone's mom on an aviation forum is a bit different from criticising MH i would think.

i don't think many people would like to talk about their mom on the forum ...your analogy is irrelevant. :)

keith ... i agree with your points above but I don't know who continues to fly MH AND keep on criticising it. I have made my choices and pay almost half of what i used to pay now.

At the end of the day - not everyone is happy with what has happened to MH. I've been following MH's progress with great interest since the 80s and through all its ups and downs supported it as much as i can. The only difference now is the arrogant way their customers are dealt with and their audacity to keep trumping on about its '5 star' services when obviously its not.

SV choong, this is the 21st century and we are all adults here. if a certain company's employees are 'sensitive' about comments made on an internet forum, imagine what would happen if they held an investors meeting.

Surely you jest, my learned fren. This is a fallacy. Surely you don't like ppl to insult your mom here, for example? :)

What? Still no takers, after all the brouhaha? Maybe your slice lob was too much, but hey Federer is out. Tsonga is the rage now, tho' I'd prefer to watch the Maria/Ana show today - see this THREAD.:D

OK, direction to Nasi Kandar Aman Suria.

amansuriarp7.jpg

Dr Naim, thanks for the map.

Here's a pix of a typical Friday night TT at Kayu Aman Suria. The SmartCars belongs to the SmartCarMalaysia website forummers ( I'm a mod for the site) and we meet every Friday there. This particular night however I rode my bike.

I'll be happy host a TT there for MW ' Friends of MAS' . It will be an opportunity to match the personalities to the posts. Who knows, given all the big talk about how to correct MH woes, this may be a start of BIG changes for our BELOVED National Airline that has been 'run to the ground by the current management'.

But for that to happen, you MUST first turn up. I'm sure I'll learn something from you. At the very least, I'll definitely learn something about you. Maybe you'll also learn there is actually a lot more to life than just MH bashing.

So Friday Feb 1st next week then. I''ll be there. And I'm easy to spot.

Aman Suria Friday Nights.....

IMG_0211a.jpg

hahaha...Capt Nik. I wish I could go there. I really need a good nasi kandar! Might be coming home in May or June so I will give you a shout.

hahaha...Capt Nik. I wish I could go there. I really need a good nasi kandar! Might be coming home in May or June so I will give you a shout.

Please do that and I'll share with you things that can only be shred on a face to face basis.

For my company can only fly MH for domestic flights. For international, other airline ONLY if MH does not serve the route. So, for only personal travel I desert MH. Government agencies must fly MH no matter what.... and pay full econ/business price. Good taxpayer money for substandard service. This applies to a lot of MH customers, however disgruntled they are.

I would love to join the discussion, perhaps as a minute taker ^_^ But alas, my work shift ends at midnight the earliest, so I have to take a rain check.

On a more serious note, as both sides are in favor for the same goal, i.e. in the best interest of MH and its customers, maybe we should drive this into a focus group after the inaugural of the ice-breaking teh tarik session? (If.. it ever going to happen lah). For starters, we don't have to bring in the big shots first, we regroup and have few more teh tarik sessions, have our says (all our hearts contents), then we decide on the biggest shared concerns to be highlighted, prepare our own case, write the key areas, and later .. file it and present it to the right people (i.e. people who have the actual power to make changes). All, everything, in consensus. Each of us are entitled to our own personal opinions, and I'm sure some of us would want things to fare better according to our own level of acceptance, but we need to have some kind of benchmark before we can scale the real issue as a whole. We are not waging personal wars here where only a few people's opinions matters, we should gather as one bunch of concerned and passionate aviation fans if we would want to help the industry gets better.

Applied this at work when we had some dissatisfied staff issues a couple of years back, and from the monthly staff survey since it seems that we were on the right track. So it might have a chance to contribute in finding a solution. Maybe its too idealistic, so if its too ludicrous, please blame it on my lack of judgment. Haha... in accordance to Compliance issue I shouldn't even be discussing about office matters on open forums, :lol:

I really hope that those who can make it to the yum-char session at Kayu Aman Suria, to be able to make it on Friday night :) Wish you all the best, ya, and play nice! :p

have our says (all our hearts contents), then we decide on the biggest shared concerns to be highlighted, prepare our own case, write the key areas, and later .. file it and present it to the right people (i.e. people who have the actual power to make changes). All, everything, in consensus.

I agree with Irni. Also, even if only 3 of us would end up meeting top MH management (if it happens), we could have some kind of online signature collection to show that the 'Friends of MAS' team is actually backed by another 3000+ supporters. Too bad I wont be able to make it, will only be back in Malaysia in Aug/Sep the earliest.

haha..can see my office clearly in the photo

Hi all Malaysians aviation lovers,

I am probably the biggest MAS fan you will ever get from Singapore. My relationship with the airline started by accident in 1999. You know how Singaporeans like to "eee" at everything Malaysian from Protons (but we buy them) to JB (but we throng it everyday), so MAS is by no means no exception.

A significant amount of Singaporeans fly MAS out of Changi and it was during one of my last minute work trips to Sydney that all flights were full, the only option left was MAS. Of course my colleagues were laughing at me being the "poor and unlucky bastard forced to fly MAS instead of SQ".

I left for Changi that afternoon with much apprehension about how the flight would be. My last experience on MAS was a 737-200 in 1985 from PEN-SIN... and that experience left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Check in was ok, Golden Lounge in Changi is understandably small this not being MH's base, but very tastefully decorated.

But the magic started once I boarded the A330. Back then they still had First Class so I was seated in 1A. Granted back in 1999, SQ was rolling out the Sky Suites so the simple seat on the A330 was, how to say... nonedescript. The crew serving me were amazing... They even addressed me by my name which SQ failed to do on my numerous SIN-KL flights in PCL.

Anyway... Flew to KLIA, landed on time... and off I went to the Satellitte Terminal and WHAT A SIGHT TO BEHOLD... The flagship MAS Golden Lounge. To me, it was unlike any other lounge I have ever been to. I was awed.

Boarding time soon came for me to head towards my 747-400 for my onward flight to Sydney. Upperdeck I was assigned to and the magic was once again unleashed. Laid back, sincerely welcoming, smiles unreservedly dished out etc... By the time dinner service was completed, I was a bonafide fan of MAS. The service I received was simply out of this world.

My experience was cemented by the numerous awards they won in the following years to come.

After I completed that round trip, I went back to the office raving about what an experience I had. Of course my colleagues were expecting the total opposite, especially so knowing what a discerning traveller I was and they were in short expecting tales of slip-shot service et al.

In summary, I became an Enrich frequent flier of MAS thereafter... and I managed to convince another colleague to come along for the ride as well. I have had several other excellent flights with the ever since in all 3 classes and had consistently received excellent service that puts my SQ girls to shame.

So yes, MH has excellent cabin crew. But that is where the love ends for me, unfortunately. Outside of the aircraft, rude ground staff seem to rule the day and with a questionable management team on the helm, it really doesn't do justice to this wonderful airline fronted by the lovely cabin crew.

I will rant more but it is time for me to go home now.

Cheers

Ryan

Welcome Mr Ryan Soh!

Good to have you in here, been a avid follower of your trip reports on Anet a couple of years now. In this forum we require members to use real name instead of nicknames so it would be great if you would PM Gavin Andrew David your real name and he'll change it.

Thanks for joining! Looking forward for more of your post soon :D

Hi all Malaysians aviation lovers,

I am probably the biggest MAS fan you will ever get from Singapore. My relationship with the airline started by accident in 1999. You know how Singaporeans like to "eee" at everything Malaysian from Protons (but we buy them) to JB (but we throng it everyday), so MAS is by no means no exception.

A significant amount of Singaporeans fly MAS out of Changi and it was during one of my last minute work trips to Sydney that all flights were full, the only option left was MAS. Of course my colleagues were laughing at me being the "poor and unlucky bastard forced to fly MAS instead of SQ".

I left for Changi that afternoon with much apprehension about how the flight would be. My last experience on MAS was a 737-200 in 1985 from PEN-SIN... and that experience left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Check in was ok, Golden Lounge in Changi is understandably small this not being MH's base, but very tastefully decorated.

But the magic started once I boarded the A330. Back then they still had First Class so I was seated in 1A. Granted back in 1999, SQ was rolling out the Sky Suites so the simple seat on the A330 was, how to say... nonedescript. The crew serving me were amazing... They even addressed me by my name which SQ failed to do on my numerous SIN-KL flights in PCL.

Anyway... Flew to KLIA, landed on time... and off I went to the Satellitte Terminal and WHAT A SIGHT TO BEHOLD... The flagship MAS Golden Lounge. To me, it was unlike any other lounge I have ever been to. I was awed.

Boarding time soon came for me to head towards my 747-400 for my onward flight to Sydney. Upperdeck I was assigned to and the magic was once again unleashed. Laid back, sincerely welcoming, smiles unreservedly dished out etc... By the time dinner service was completed, I was a bonafide fan of MAS. The service I received was simply out of this world.

My experience was cemented by the numerous awards they won in the following years to come.

After I completed that round trip, I went back to the office raving about what an experience I had. Of course my colleagues were expecting the total opposite, especially so knowing what a discerning traveller I was and they were in short expecting tales of slip-shot service et al.

In summary, I became an Enrich frequent flier of MAS thereafter... and I managed to convince another colleague to come along for the ride as well. I have had several other excellent flights with the ever since in all 3 classes and had consistently received excellent service that puts my SQ girls to shame.

So yes, MH has excellent cabin crew. But that is where the love ends for me, unfortunately. Outside of the aircraft, rude ground staff seem to rule the day and with a questionable management team on the helm, it really doesn't do justice to this wonderful airline fronted by the lovely cabin crew.

I will rant more but it is time for me to go home now.

Cheers

Ryan

Dear Ryan, Please email this to huzlan@mas.com.my and I'll forward it to our CVP honchos. Your balanced comment will go along way towards addressing the imbalance of service.

Thanks and Regards

Hi Ryan Soh,

So, you finally made it here !!! :good:

Welcome to MW, but, as said by others, please change your ID to Ryan or Ryan Soh i.s.o. Ryanair (like in A.net) :pardon:

Having flown MH many many times between 1998 and 2007, I totally agree with your comments: cabincrew is top-notch and well worth the 5-star rating, however, groundstaff most of the time totally destroy this image: they can be quite rude when you check-in, etc. (this also accounts for checking-in other airlines, like KLM)...IMHO, they fail to see you as their valued customer... :(

Hi Ryan Soh,

So, you finally made it here !!! :good:

Welcome to MW, but, as said by others, please change your ID to Ryan or Ryan Soh i.s.o. Ryanair (like in A.net) :pardon:

Having flown MH many many times between 1998 and 2007, I totally agree with your comments: cabincrew is top-notch and well worth the 5-star rating, however, groundstaff most of the time totally destroy this image: they can be quite rude when you check-in, etc. (this also accounts for checking-in other airlines, like KLM)...IMHO, they fail to see you as their valued customer... :(

Great Peiter, while your comments ( bold) is a light relief to me that its a common trait in other airlines, it still goes to show that good service should be seemless, not just a portion of.

Why ... aaahhh ... this forum now has so much Malaysia Airlines bashing? I see interesting topics, but in many cases have degenerated into Malaysia Airlines bashing. Dah boring lah brader, like an old broken record... or maybe I should be moving on?

I don't know why but in my heart, i always have MH on top of AK or any other airlines. A bit of patriotic sentiments towards the National Airline i believe. Not to say that i hate AK coz i do travel AK a lot but somehow there are few AK marketing/branding strategies that is misleading to my eyes and just makes me lose respect to them. It's only my personal views though.

Nevertheless, it's not always MH bashing here. I do have posted my 'excellent service' letter to firefly on this site and it can now also be read on Firefly website.

Capt. Nik,

Really meant to say that even when MH is doing ground-services for another airline, like KLM @ KUL, they can be quite rude :blink:

(it's not that it's similar with other airlines like KLM) :pardon:

Too much difference in treating customers on the ground as compared in the air (ground- versus air-crew): cabin- and cockpit crew really worth their 5-star award :good:

I think keeping cost at the minimum is unavoidable in order to sustain profitability growth especially when the competition landscape has become more challenging. Looking at the many recent articles on MAS - re the BTP2 and positioning Malaysian Hospitality as one of the Customer Value Proposition under the FSVC philosophy, is indeed a very interesting approach taken by the MAS management. Seriously, it is not about transforming MAS into the like of Aerlingus, LanChile or Air Canada but learning from their experience and pick up what works to create new MH which can still offer high quality services at competitive cost.

I am sure there would be some initiatives that did not augur well with customers for instance the snackbox meal. However, at the end, it is not the box meal that matter but the contents in the box. With some adjustment to the contents, I am sure that the snackbox can be appealing while keeping the cost at minimum.

In my opinion, what MAS is trying to do is to spend the budget allocated to provide what customer want only thus eliminating wastages. If we are really want to help MAS, help by trying to make the box meal concept work (I am sure it has proven to be cost effective) rather than looking at the negative side of the initiative. Yes, we have seen many airlines serving box meal but how do MAS makes their box meal as the benchmark for others to follow.

Looking at some of the comments made in this forum, I could not help but getting myself mesmerised by the so many talents in Malaysia that can help MAS to succeed. It is indeed one of the most sincerest forum that I have ever encountered which provides me with good insights from several different perspectives.

Keep on commenting guys!

Edited by EddieDaniel

Very well said Eddie. You're looking at it from the better point of view. I agree with what you mentioned about AerLingus, LanChile and Air Canada. Just because they were mentioned in the statement by MH, everyone gets 'excited' that MH is trying to move towards their standard of products while the truth is that the management wants to emulate them FINANCIALLY..from the business management sense. Sadly, not many understand that here.

ahh.. i was happily reading the posts without seeing the topic.. hehe

well, mr. ryan thanks for your opinion/story... i feel warm-hearted reading that..

aha,perhaps ground-handling needs more monitoring, i neveR EVER trust ground handling of my luggage. *watch how they handle your bag, ish Geram!

If i were somebody in the airlines maybe i'll make a guideline on how to handle luggage in front of the pax.he he

btw, myflightmemory on your sig, is cool uncle pieter..

I think keeping cost at the minimum is unavoidable in order to sustain profitability growth especially when the competition landscape has become more challenging. Looking at the many recent articles on MAS - re the BTP2 and positioning Malaysian Hospitality as one of the Customer Value Proposition under the FSVC philosophy, is indeed a very interesting approach taken by the MAS management. Seriously, it is not about transforming MAS into the like of Aerlingus, LanChile or Air Canada but learning from their experience and pick up what works to create new MH which can still offer high quality services at competitive cost.

I am sure there would be some initiatives that did not augur well with customers for instance the snackbox meal. However, at the end, it is not the box meal that matter but the contents in the box. With some adjustment to the contents, I am sure that the snackbox can be appealing while keeping the cost at minimum.

In my opinion, what MAS is trying to do is to spend the budget allocated to provide what customer want only thus eliminating wastages. If we are really want to help MAS, help by trying to make the box meal concept work (I am sure it has proven to be cost effective) rather than looking at the negative side of the initiative. Yes, we have seen many airlines serving box meal but how do MAS makes their box meal as the benchmark for others to follow.

Looking at some of the comments made in this forum, I could not help but getting myself mesmerised by the so many talents in Malaysia that can help MAS to succeed. It is indeed one of the most sincerest forum that I have ever encountered which provides me with good insights from several different perspectives.

Keep on commenting guys!

Who are MH perceived competitors? AK, JT, 8M, SQ, EK, CX, TG? Where is MH product positioning in related to them?

It is a fact that MH aircraft is older and friendly cc is not exclusive to MH. On the same route, departure time and fare, how does MH differentiate itself from others?

Variable cost contributed directly to customer (e.g. amenity, meals) is marginal but easiest and least resistance to cut. Understand MH pay LSG RM25 to RM45 for hot meal, about RM10 for snackbox. A reason for MH to move from hot meal to snackbox is MH reluctant to pay over priced meals to LSG. It is quite certain LSG will charge a premium for gourmet sandwich. That’s why snackbox content can be purchased from supermarket. How improved, better quality contents snackbox will save cost for MH? How MH can be in the same league as or compete with SQ, CX, EK or TG while the product is marginal better than AK, JT or 8M?

The portion of food serve by MH is already smaller than conventional restaurant or café. Instead of improving the quality and taste. MH is cutting back food portion because more and more food is left over. When will MH admit food left over is not because the portion is too big but not palatable.

If one look at MH PnL, the cost that bleed MH are those ‘national luggage’, ‘union deal’, ‘dead wood’, ‘unproductive employees’, etc. Until MH is making an effort to reduce this cost and waste, it is hard to convince MH is serious in cost cutting.

How many initiatives the MH management have implemented in the past 15 years? How many of these last more than 3 years before superseded by yet another initiative or grand plan?

:drinks:

I love the touchy feely approach but that has been shown to be less effective. No more cuddling. Say it like it is. Good for you KK.

Just for my perception: how many caterers are available in the KUL area ? Only LSG ?

Who are MH perceived competitors? AK, JT, 8M, SQ, EK, CX, TG? Where is MH product positioning in related to them?

It is a fact that MH aircraft is older and friendly cc is not exclusive to MH. On the same route, departure time and fare, how does MH differentiate itself from others?

Variable cost contributed directly to customer (e.g. amenity, meals) is marginal but easiest and least resistance to cut. Understand MH pay LSG RM25 to RM45 for hot meal, about RM10 for snackbox. A reason for MH to move from hot meal to snackbox is MH reluctant to pay over priced meals to LSG. It is quite certain LSG will charge a premium for gourmet sandwich. That’s why snackbox content can be purchased from supermarket. How improved, better quality contents snackbox will save cost for MH? How MH can be in the same league as or compete with SQ, CX, EK or TG while the product is marginal better than AK, JT or 8M?

The portion of food serve by MH is already smaller than conventional restaurant or café. Instead of improving the quality and taste. MH is cutting back food portion because more and more food is left over. When will MH admit food left over is not because the portion is too big but not palatable.

If one look at MH PnL, the cost that bleed MH are those ‘national luggage’, ‘union deal’, ‘dead wood’, ‘unproductive employees’, etc. Until MH is making an effort to reduce this cost and waste, it is hard to convince MH is serious in cost cutting.

How many initiatives the MH management have implemented in the past 15 years? How many of these last more than 3 years before superseded by yet another initiative or grand plan?

:drinks:

Good points KK.

I think the BTP2 is the plan and strategy that will address the competition from LCCs (- AK, Jetstar,Tiger and the gang ) as well as full service carriers (SQ, EK, CX, TG and the rest). It is about striking a balance between cost and quality services/products while delivering the most effective results.

There are cost and services elements that need to be addressed to ensure that high profitability can be achieved and maintained. Hence, all the initiatives mentioned under BTP2 is geared to provide services that matter to the customer while keeping cost at minimum. If it takes to serve only gourmet sandwiches at MYR10 and achieve 100% customers satisfaction, I would say why not?

The plans rolled out by the current MH management outlined clear goals but I still think the strategies to achieve the goals need to be crystalized. However, one thing for sure, the BTP2 is not about cost cutting but long term survival and I am sure that the other carriers are watching the implementation of the BTP2 closely. It is a matter of time before the rest of the full service carriers follow suit.

Edited by EddieDaniel

I think the BTP2 is the plan and strategy that will address the competition from LCCs (- AK, Jetstar,Tiger and the gang ) as well as full service carriers (SQ, EK, CX, TG and the rest)

BTP2 addresses competition from LCC's and the back-end cabins of (some) full service carriers - so called 'cattle class' By MH's own admission, the premium front cabin section is not a battle they hold much hope of winning - "if people want to pay more, why not" sort of approach

If it takes to serve only gourmet sandwiches at MYR10 and achieve 100% customers satisfaction, I would say why not?

As things stand now, gourmet sandwiches they are NOT !! Also, customers acceptance is currently only in the high nineties, not quite at 100% yet :p

I am sure that the other carriers are watching the implementation of the BTP2 closely. It is a matter of time before the rest of the full service carriers follow suit

General good business practice to be in the know of what your competitors are up to. Normally it's market leaders' initiatives that are emulated, almost never loss leaders'. Whilst possibility is still there for other carriers to follow suit and formulate/implement their own 'BTP's, I doubt if the likes of SQ, EK, CX (to name a few) will be doing so anytime soon. They have been and are still making pretty impressive profits consistently after all

:)

Edited by BC Tam