MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Malaysia Airlines bashing ... too much lah

Why ... aaahhh ... this forum now has so much Malaysia Airlines bashing? I see interesting topics, but in many cases have degenerated into Malaysia Airlines bashing. Dah boring lah brader, like an old broken record... or maybe I should be moving on?

its more fun to release pent up frustration... but yeah...probably getting a bit boring. However, I can't help myself!!!!

its more fun to release pent up frustration... but yeah...probably getting a bit boring. However, I can't help myself!!!!

Like this lah, Izanee, a word of advice. When you are done in Yorkshire or wherever, just come back, join MAS or Azman Mokhtar's outfit, or become a politician. Then try to change MAS the way you want, because it looks like you have ideas on how to run the company. Talk-talk now what for, syok sendiri saja, till you know the cold harsh reality of the world. I think you realised you might have offended Capt Nik in some of your posts and so you did your best to make up to him. So be careful brader, you never know which 'dinosaur' is lurking around here. I could be one of them too. :)

Im working with mh.. and i see all the bashing.

Luckily i just manage my plane. start the engine and fly....at times, i eat, sleep and relax on the plane.

It is interesting to hear all these "bashing" to the company that i work with...

yes a few great "malaysians" left to Etihad, Emirates, Korean and other "known airlines"...they still my good flying partner.

i tell you guys something...it happens in the cockpit too...

too many pilots wants to be the CEO of the company and yet they know if they start the engines...they will make a great loss on such sectors.

well, i do appreciate with all your "highlights" on MH... it does makes me wonder how great MH is to be "bashed"...

i read and learn all your words in the paragraphs...

Im sorry...i cant help you guys with such answers...in MH.

i do my best to fly safely all my "fare" paying passengers...from origin to destination.

u guys Bored already...

I am NOT..

well, i do enjoy my spotting and my love of aviation.

maybe i just dont talk much.....yet..

Naim aiseh man ... you're correct in what you say. I don't claim to know how to run an airline, and I never have. However, I have worked long and hard to do what I do - and dealing with life and death everyday in a busy, stressful and high paced environment only makes me too aware of the harsh world out there. You're not the only one bro!

Let me do this bashing as it eases my stress and frustrations cos if I don't have an outlet, I might as well jump off a bridge.

Naim .

This sort of thing , can't be avoided , I guess we can take it as just , constructive ' input ' ....

Everyone will have their own , point of views when it comes to certain things , I wonder why they dont bash AirAsia for behaving like moronic fools ...

Maybe its because , most people see what is on the surface alone , and MAS screws up in the light of the media and it is very well exposed whenever they screw up and people are fast to pick up on their mistakes , but when they do good , it goes by unnoticed .

my 2c...

oh yeah - I give credit where its due. MAS has produced excellent pilots, cabin crews and engineers; USED to offer excellent inflight services coupled with a great safety record (still do!).

However, when they hoodwink us, take our money and provide crap quality products - and give us patronising answers - -That is taking the piss.

AK is no better. Uncle TF is only interested in money - not the rakyat. He keeps pushing the government for more and more each time they concede something to him....

And the Subang airport for himself is still a sore point for me.

Who am I but a nobody? If I want to make a fuss - that's my problem isn't it?

Maybe its because , most people see what is on the surface alone , and MAS screws up in the light of the media and it is very well exposed whenever they screw up and people are fast to pick up on their mistakes , but when they do good , it goes by unnoticed .

my 2c...

that's what we call a typical M'sian or should i say Bolehland mentality... <_>

Edited by Victor A.

No worries bro, just go to RSFC, take PPL, and fly as much as you want. Tapau McD and can have all the excellent food onboard.

It's not easy to manage an airline which already at the end of the cliff. You have to bargain a bit la, certain things MH did just to survive,i don't blame them, but if they were to keep those "stupid" snackbox until vision 2020, then i might be frustrated just like everybody else ...still tonnes of people are looking for the so called "stupid" thing despite they were given hot meals...

People are never satisfied.

Anyway,the meals be it GCC or EY are always dry and yucks...nothing beats nasi kandar i can tapau after flight.

Deep down I think most people here love MAS, it's just that they are so hurt to see what MAS has become. And when you actually work for them , the hurt is even deeper....

But whatever it is , posts like what Izanee brought forward are what this forum needs to have good discussions , what is a discussion with just one side of the story ...

Whatever input , be it criticism or praise , I believe it can be brought forward , but then , I think we don't need to go too far with it ..

Naim , I understand where you are coming from , I too feel that , why are this people getting sooo into these sort of discussions , but then , we can look at it as a place for them to vent out their frustrations , after all , dropping malaysia airlines an email isn't going to do any good at all . I do hope that one fine day , they will have someone that comes to this website to see our ' opinions ' when it comes to what they're doing , perhaps they will be able to open their eyes then , to see that ' degree's and master's ' doesn't equate to good management skills .

Although I don't contribute much (But here's hoping that I'll improve on that as time goes by) I'm a regular reader, been around quite a while, even witnessed the 'crisis' at the other forum looong time ago. I'm with Naim here, it has been so monotonous lately, very much like the Proton bashing fiesta that you can get at various automotive forums, to the point that I don't even bother to read if last posts are made by certain members. Calm down guys. Yea, you have the right to vent your frustrations, but this is still a public domain, a site that is shared by a lot of members. :)

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Hahaha..I think this MH bashing has taken its toll on all of us! Anyways, thank you Gavin for keeping the peace! It is, after all, for a bit of fun really. The main draw is the latest news and latest photos from the excellent photographers!

So we should just sit, watch and smile seeing Malaysia's flag carrier tumbling down or being (indirectly) belittled in ALL aspects by Singapore Airlines? Or perhaps to be on the safer side, let MH on its own and fly other carriers instead?

Call me irresponsible but I am too 'patriotic' to see MH being treated that way. We rant because we CARE. I certainly believe every members here have something special that relates them to MH. But we are nobody in the industry. As a proceed, MW is the only relevant channel to express our dissatisfactions. I really hope all my posts/replies here being taken into consideration seriously especially by those who can do something about it.

Do you think we'll bash MH if MH performed better financially and carrying more INTERNATIONAL passengers than Singapore Airlines? Becoming world's leader in premium travelling boasting newly rolled out aircrafts and the most advanced cabins in the sky like Singapore Airlines?

Ever wonder why there's no Singapore Airlines' bashing thread in MW? As long as the bashing can be supported by facts, I don't see any problem with it.

Ever wonder why there's no Singapore Airlines' bashing thread in MW? As long as the bashing can be supported by facts, I don't see any problem with it.

Yes there is - I saw a post by LeeCH somewhere here 'ranting' about nothing ever happens at SQ ie Boring ! :)

As for bashing being supported by facts, could prove extremely difficult supporting with 'correct' facts, seeing how corporate figures are held in such confidentiality anyway. We Joe Public are in most cases fed whatever the top guys want to feed us and draw the appropriate conclusions from there, not just at MH, not just in the airline industry, it's just plain good business practice

Call me irresponsible but I am too 'patriotic' to see MH being treated that way. We rant because we CARE. I certainly believe every members here have something special that relates them to MH. But we are nobody in the industry. As a proceed, MW is the only relevant channel to express our dissatisfactions. I really hope all my posts/replies here being taken into consideration seriously especially by those who can do something about it.

Thats a good one Azizul. I stopped ranting mainly because I don't care anymore, whether they survive or not or how well they do. It goes into the drain along with my Malaysian nationalism or patrotism as well.

Do you think we'll bash MH if MH performed better financially and carrying more INTERNATIONAL passengers than Singapore Airlines? Becoming world's leader in premium travelling boasting newly rolled out aircrafts and the most advanced cabins in the sky like Singapore Airlines?

Ditto.

Why ... aaahhh ... this forum now has so much Malaysia Airlines bashing? I see interesting topics, but in many cases have degenerated into Malaysia Airlines bashing. Dah boring lah brader, like an old broken record... or maybe I should be moving on?

Interesting that this question comes from somebody who religiously flies AK! The "bashing" is actually criticism of what I (& others too) think MH could improve on. Bashing is because I/we care and do not wish MH to become a "has been". I/we vent our frustration on serious lapses in service, zero service recovery, and massive corners being cut in catering, amongst others.

I can understand that replacing antique 734s will require substantial funding and will take time, but offering rediculous snackboxes whilst bragging 5-star service is the straw that broke the camel's back. A stab in the back if you like. I can do without my cheese plate in GCC, but Enrich fails to adequately reward loyal premium customers in a meaningful way. Fares are relatively high, but the service & hardware do not reflect a premium carrier.

Yes, MH was in a bad shape, financially. But I do think the current management is becoming too bottomline-centric (personal remuneration are largely based on profits?) that cost savings are squeezed out of things that really matter to the pax, which dilute brand loyalty and diminish whatever remaining value proposition that MH offers. Catering is one that distinguishes a 5-star full service carrier from the others. If you go through the financial analysis, MH saved some miserable few small millions from catering, but that's it - not billions that really mattered. But has anybody quantified the damage to brand equity?

Yes, I almost gave up on them. There's SQ, there are others. I used to avoid AK as if it's diseased as I hated scrambling for decent seats, but now there's express boarding. So, AK is becoming a good alternative for short domestic jaunts.

And if you need to read some SQ bashing, look elsewhere - there're loads in flyertalk, sqtalk etc.

If it is "dah boring"...nobody is forcing things down one's throat.

Edited by Mushrif A

well said. It is frustrating however when you fight to get heard and when the powers-that-be reply, it is nothing more than a pile of rubbish.

as azizul said - we are ranting because we care. I have always been a MAS supporter to the extent of telling all my friends and colleagues to fly it. i can't do that now as i will be embarassed that they have to experience five star at low cost services after paying through their noses.

hopefully what we say will go a little way in helping make these people notice the small fries - people who can't afford to fly first or business. MAS keeps mentioning about listening to customers - we are not the ones they listen to i'm afraid.

All this bashing about MH. And it is always compared with SQ. Unfortunate maybe?? Because just happens that SQ is our neighbour and use to be under the same umbrella before MSA split. A case of envy against the world's best (so called)? And the comparison with SQ will never cease. Believe me. I am sure all other foreign airlines are always comparing against the company I work for. So its rather unfortunate.

Interesting enough, why you guys never compare MH against TG, Garuda, Brunei and Philipinnes? Why?

Garuda and PAL are not in the same league. If MAS has to compete internationally, it has to look at SQ and TG. HOwever, Malaysia- Singapore rivalry will always make us compare to SQ (especially since we were one airline before). Our histories are interlinked.

If you want to be at the top, you have to benchmark with the best - whatever that means. Product innovator, great safety record, good inflight products etc etc. Whatever you wish!

Like this lah, Izanee, a word of advice. When you are done in Yorkshire or wherever, just come back, join MAS or Azman Mokhtar's outfit, or become a politician. Then try to change MAS the way you want, because it looks like you have ideas on how to run the company. Talk-talk now what for, syok sendiri saja, till you know the cold harsh reality of the world. I think you realised you might have offended Capt Nik in some of your posts and so you did your best to make up to him. So be careful brader, you never know which 'dinosaur' is lurking around here. I could be one of them too. :)

Actually I'm not offended to the degree you think.

Otherwise, I'd leave this forum with a view that it is populated by a small group of opinionated airline management wannabees, throwing criticism and suggestions based on limited knowledge of the full picture. And doing such with the protection of the CRT screen while throwing punches with the keyboard.

MAS is always a favourite subject, and in my 30 years here, from being just an Airline Pilot, to Pilot Union No.2, then moving on to being Chief Pilot Regional Ops , before setting up and heading the Charter outfit, if my P&L is based on Criticism less Accolade, I'd be a billionaire today. :drinks: And that was before the phenomena of Internet Forums. If I take that into account, Bill Gates' wealth would be small change.

Peeling of an argument via an internet forum point by point is a tedious affair, and unrewarding as there can be no clear conclusion.

Its different on a face to face basis, and normally this is the method i really like.

There are times I'm humbled by the knowledge of a few here with regards to the knowledge of the offerings from other airlines that offers competitive and seemingly superior value as compared to what Mh has to offer.

Then there are quality postings that are eroded by emotive statement.

Another noted trait is how any thread that talks about other topics end up being hijacked by a post that criticises MH, frequently by the common repetitive few.

Too much of this is not good as it has the effect lulling the punchline. Its something like the reverse of the 'Stockholm Syndrome'.

I don't know how many remenber the Rodney King beating by the LA police a decade ago. The video was repeated continously on TV. On initial viewing it came as 'shock and awe' to all who viewed it. After an overdose of transmission, most became conditioned to it and the brutality factor diminished, and later the general attitude became 'tidak apa'. Similarly with the video of the first Gulf War attack, showing a continous barrage of weapon launches from Kuwait towards Iraq. 'WOW' became 'HOHUM YAWN YAWN' very quickly. Do think about it.

Everyone thinks their criticism is constructive. Its pretty normal to think so if one is pushing forward an opinion.

Interesting enough, why you guys never compare MH against TG, Garuda, Brunei and Philipinnes? Why?

Izanee has addressed "PAL" and "GA".

I can add a bit on BI: this is a "has been" airline. It is not in the same league today as MH. BI's inflight offerings were some of the best back in the 70's and 80's. I would personally rank MH as being below BI in those days. I really enjoyed its 3-class 757s. And it was obvious that budget per pax on catering was very high. But financial troubles, caused amongst others by abuse from folks in power, caused it to slide down & down. Today, as mentioned, it is a pale shadow of its former self.

And, of course, to benchmark, one compares oneself against the better airlines. Not against the Air Koryo or Bimans (but the heard the curry onboard is v.good) of the world, or AK for that matter, if one proclaims one-self as a 5-star full service carrier.

Bragging 5-star status attracts comparison against CX, SQ, QRs of the world.

Look at the flip side - is there a lot of good things to say about MH? At least to the common public, not those in the know, like Captain Nik. Maybe NST is out to sabotage MH by publishing many anti-MH letters recently, from MWers and non-MWers alike?

Of course there is always ranting and raving in any airline forum, even in sqtalk, but generally the amount of bouquets far exceed the brickbats, because the usual members are fan of that particular airline. People who are truly pissed off by the airline might rant a few times, get bored and not log in regularly. I log in to check for good news, all the time. That's why I am awaiting eagerly the announcement of new phase of BTP, where hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel! Then we can maybe anticipate glory days ahead for MH, with less bashing perhaps.

Hehehe ... I kicked off this thread before I went to bed last night, and when I woke up at 9am today, I realised it had been a sticky affair. Lemme see ...

1) 'Bashing' vs 'critisizing'. Fine line indeed, but to me, some of us have entered the bashing zone.

2) If being patriotic = supporting state-owned companies like MAS, Proton, TM, etc => then pls count me out. I'm only a simple consumer who seeks what is value for money. As such I don't 'religiously' fly any airline. I'm using AK a lot nowadays because they give me the best deal. Tomorrow it could be Air CasLigas.

3) I spank my kids because I love them? ... auuwww ... pls gimme a break.

4) Yes, this matter is forced down my throat, as seemingly interesting threads which I followed got hijacked into MAS bashing, including some threads I started myself.

5) I join a forum for its perceived value, and all this bashing is not adding to the value I seek. But of course that's just me and the value(s) I set for myself, which may be out-of-kilter with everybody else's.

===

An afternote.

OK lah, if some of you are so passionate about this issue, rather than talk-talk coffeeshop here, why not take some real action? Say, send a 3-man delegation to see Idris Jala? Call yourselves 'Coalition of Concerned Frens of MAS' or whatever and get somebody to fix a 30-min mtg with IJ. Maybe Capt Nik can help. Prepare all your points in ppt and in 15-min or so, show the man the slides, bang, bang, bang! Then discussion. As Nik says, face to face is always best, which I concur.