MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raymond Lim

KLIA, Sepang & Langkawi International Airport extension

Hi guys. Just want to share something we have done after I've see the topic where Pieter C post viewing the KLIA thru satellite.

Why not see our own Malaysia KLIA with the architectural models that we built for KLIAB in 1994 where a dream start off with the idea of building a new airport which finaly completed in 1997 at Sepang. Everyone ask where is this place :huh: :huh:

We did the model with the supervision from the design architects. Can you guys tell me which architect firm?

We was call in to :help: :help: because the earlier guy couldn't made the model in time. In less then 4 weeks we had to complete this project that is to construct 2 individual model of the Main Terminal Building/Contact Pier and Satellite Building. We had to work on scale 1:600 that is because at that time there was no other producer of airplane models for MAS but Schabak. The hardest part for this project was the parabolic roof for the MTB

Later on we went on to built the Flight Management Building at the scale of 1:100, Master plan model of the whole KLIA 1:4000, Souvenir model of KLIA 1:2000 & 1:4000, Langkawi International Airport Extension at 1:150 and we also did the MTB/CP & Satellite Building at the scale of 1:150 (very big) in clear acrylic for MAB for training the staff before the opening in 1997.

The architects instruction for photograph to be taken B/W cause the model was made in monochrome color. Upon completion of the model and photography taken we are given the notice that the design is P & C. We are permit to show the photograph while we meet new client when we present our portfolio. 1 whole long year. :angry:

Main Terminal Building/Contact Pier. 1:600

KLIAMTB-CPTopview1-600.jpg

KLIAMTB-CPsideview1-600.jpg

KLIAMTBTopfrontentranceview1-600.jpg

KLIAMTB-CPsectionviewfromskytrain1-.jpg

KLIAMTBSidesectionview1-600.jpg

KLIAMTBfrontentranceview1-600.jpg

KLIAMTBentrancesectionview1-600.jpg

Satellite Building 1:600

KLIASatelliteBuildingtopview1-600.jpg

KLIASatelliteBuildingview31-600.jpg

KLIASatelliteBuilding1-600.jpg

KLIA Souvenir model 1:4000

KLIASV1-4000.jpg

KLIA Souvenir model 1:2000

KLIASV1-2000.jpg

KLIA Masterplan model. Can you guys see what are the difference from the satellite picture from googles?

KLIAMasterplanmodeltopview1-4000.jpg

KLIAMasterplanViewBack.jpg

KLIAMasterplanBirdeyeview11-4000.jpg

KLIAMasterplanBirdeyeview21-4000.jpg

Langkawi International Airport Extension project 1:150 (The airplanes are not to scale)

LangkawiInternationalAirportextensi.jpg

Hope you guys like what you have seen here.

DANG!!! Perfectamente mismo! [perfectly the same]

Down to the road curves and junctions...

KLIA Masterplan model. Can you guys see what are the difference from the satellite picture from googles?

KLIAMasterplanmodeltopview1-4000.jpg

KLIA.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, Yusoff.

When we built the model it was everything as according to the architectural drawing provided by the design architects and the town planner and at that time we don't even have the state of the art laser maching which we only brought it in February 1995 from Wisconsin, USA.

I'm kind of retrying from architectural model building now. We still have the laser machine which can cut & engrave very accurate +- 0.002" tolerance for non metal materials.

Hoping to survive thru the hobby business but on & off still does some laser cutting parts for modellers who come to us for the service and we are glad to offer them some advice. After all 20 years is not a short time after surviving to 2 bad crisis 1986 & 1997. :pardon:

We did the model with the supervision from the design architects. Can you guys tell me which architect firm?

The design architect of KLIA was Kisho Kurokawa and Associates based in Japan. The local Malaysian architect who was responsible for detailing of the design is someone else, which I can't remember now. I will see if I can still find the book.

Satellite Building 1:600

KLIASatelliteBuilding1-600.jpg

Langkawi International Airport Extension project 1:150 (The airplanes are not to scale)

LangkawiInternationalAirportextensi.jpg

Will be nice to see AF & Alitalia jumbos in KLIA and TG & GA jumbos in Langkawi in reality

Btw, was observation hill in the original master plan ? It seems like the road alignment to observation hills has been revised