MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Invasion at Austrian airport

Guys,

Early January is always the busiest time at the airport of SZG, because of ski-loving holiday-makers coupled with the Russian New Year: so planned a visit (last weekend 12-13jan08) and, as a result, share the shots with you here ! ;)

How about a backdrop like this for an airport :blink: (Blue1 MD90 on the runway, ready for take-off):

SZG12jan08022.jpg

Scandinavian- and UK airlines are the main users of the airport on saturday !

Here, a ATR-72 of Cimber of Denmark; note - she taxied to the runway on one engine only, to save fuel :good:

SZG12jan08018.jpg

Malmo Aviation had two flights in the morning, both operated by the Bae-146 in this colourful livery:

SZG12jan08095.jpg

Not a red-nosed reindeer, but a red-nosed 737 of Norwegian.no also visited W.A Mozart; tail-motives are famous Norwegian people:

SZG12jan08137.jpg

SAS was also present: here the 737-800 with a Norwegian flag on the nosewheel-door (this type not seen much outside Scandinavia):

SZG12jan08083.jpg

was hoping for the retro-Airbus 319, however, the 'normal' one came in :( :

SZG12jan08212.jpg

Gavin: remember this one at Subang ? :huh: She is now happily cruising the European skies:

SZG12jan08240.jpg

The following "Brits" were also users of the Mozart's runway and platform:

Thomsonfly.com; the 737-500 is dedicated to SV Choong, who pictured G-THOE in New-Zealand:

SZG12jan08190.jpg

SZG12jan08005.jpg

Flybe.com, using both the E-190 and Dash8-400:

SZG12jan08230.jpg

SZG12jan08075.jpg

Monarch came in with both the Airbus- and Boeing products; personally, I find this the most beautiful UK airline-livery:

SZG12jan08080.jpg

SZG12jan08033.jpg

Thomas Cook.com came in with 2 757-200's, one with a special sticker :yahoo: :

SZG12jan08107.jpg

SZG12jan08044.jpg

Dedicated to Keith T is this British Airways 737-500, which will be his means of travel between Gatwick and Schiphol :pardon: :

SZG12jan08287.jpg

My Travel came in with these hybrid colours :angry: :

SZG12jan08221.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed this series sofar ;) ; more to follow ...

Guys,

Early January is always the busiest time at the airport of SZG, because of ski-loving holiday-makers coupled with the Russian New Year: so planned a visit (last weekend 12-13jan08) and, as a result, share the shots with you here ! ;)

How about a backdrop like this for an airport :blink: (Blue1 MD90 on the runway, ready for take-off):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/ph-...G12jan08022.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed this series sofar ;) ; more to follow ...

:clapping: Wooooow! I would love to just sit there all day long and just look at the planes, AND gorgeous background, at the same time. You captured it very generously, Pieter.

And Monarch looks royalty to me ^_^

Wow!! Looks like there are a lot of spotters next to Hangar-7/8 during the weekend !! :yahoo:

Any Flying Bulls Pieter?

Red Bull aircraft remained inside the hangar, unfortunately :(

The viewing-deck was also packed with spotters, as well as both sides of the runway; even special spotter bus-trips had been organized from NL and UK !!! :blink:

In total, I guess there were around 200-300 spotters; you should have seen the surprised faces of the passengers and cockpitcrews: hope to share some pictures with you later - keep watching this thread !

any reason why the ba 757's and the 737's have a ring on the nose ..

The only reason I can think of is better visibility or less chance for bird-hits... <_>

Will upload some more pictures soon...

Cool stuff, Pieter!

Another scenic Austrian airport is Innsbruck (INN). Any spotting done there, Pieter?

Another scenic Austrian airport is Innsbruck (INN). Any spotting done there, Pieter?

Dr., never been to INN as yet, eventhough scenery seems to be even better... :sorry:

Talking about Austrian airports, we'd better continue with the 'locals' first :pardon:

When Lauda was taken-over by the Austrian group.....

SZG12jan08218.jpg

SZG12jan08202.jpg

...Niki Lauda started 'his' other airline Niki:

SZG12jan08012.jpg

Some really nice business-jets are registered in Austria, like this 'short' GLEX:

SZG12jan08185.jpg

Look at this surprised first-officer: if you (150+ spotters) 'shoot' me, I'll 'shoot' you too !!! :good: :

SZG12jan08155.jpg

From the locals, let's go to the Russians :pardon:

This Russian billionaire didn't need to fly 154's, 96's or 42's, but choose to fly in style with this Aruban registered MD87:

SZG12jan08299.jpg

Rossiya came in with Tupolev TU154M's in old Pulkovo livery, as well as the Airbus A319 in the new colours:

SZG12jan08255.jpg

SZG12jan08234.jpg

SZG12jan08091.jpg

Atlant Soyuz (airline of the Moscow government) came with this very colourful 737:

SZG12jan08090.jpg

...but this was not as colourful as the 737 of S7 (Sibir) :pardon: :

SZG12jan08211.jpg

Biggest aircraft (missed the IL-96 due to heavy delay :angry: ) from Russia for me was this 767-300 of Transaero:

SZG12jan08176.jpg

The Ukranians also landed in great numbers:

UIA (Mizhnarodni Linii Ukrainii) came with both the 'short' -500 and 'long' -400 series 737:

SZG12jan08160.jpg

SZG12jan08144.jpg

Yellow-blue is the national colour of the country and is sported both by AeroSvit...:

SZG12jan08120.jpg

...and Dniproavia, both with 737-400's:

SZG12jan08194.jpg

Sunday started very foggy, but die-hards will wait for the tri-jet called Yakovlev YAK-42D:

First one to 'appear' from the fog-patches was this SarAvia (Saratovskie Avialinii):

SZG12jan08269.jpg

followed by Aviakompanie RusJet (look how this is spelled in Cyrillic :blink: ) in this great livery:

SZG12jan08296.jpg

Last one was this plain Centr-Avia (note the Salzburg castle in the background):

SZG12jan08304.jpg

Still have some (bleeding)nose and 'butt' shots on my sleeve...anyone interested ??? :huh:

thanks for sharing Pieter !! :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Amazing shots in Salzburg !! :good:

Lots of of traffic from Russia over there..Really love the Atlant Soyuz..!! Thanks !! :yahoo:

Edited by miroslav zinoviy

I love the Alps! It makes the airport look so unique.

I missed Laudaair, personally I think they have one of the best catering in Y

Gotta love their triangular dishes.

Anyways, my cousin traveled back from SYD to KUL few years back and apparently half of the plane got food poisoning!

Lovely, Pieter. Thanks...... and looks colllddd....gggrrrrrrrr.....

TK & Radzi,

Although no snow, it was indeed very cold (-3, with windchill even lower, hence the blurriness of some (panning) pictures :sorry: )

Nose- and butt-shots to follow, but Photobucket rather slow lately, so please bear with me :pardon:

A little extra for you guys: (bleeding) noses :yahoo:

Dedicated to the nose-lovers:

MD-90 nose of Blue1 of Finland:

SZG12jan08016.jpg

One of the ugliest noses IMHO is the one of the ATR; here Cimber of Denmark (also connected to SAS, like Blue1):

SZG12jan08019.jpg

Definitely the oldest nose at the airport was this one (should be even older than mine :p ):

SZG12jan08029.jpg

Russian nose, easily recognizable by the head-set of the first-officer:

SZG12jan08076.jpg

Eyebrow-less american made nose sporting some really nice colours:

SZG12jan08199.jpg

Dutch lady nose; oops, someone left the shawl behind :blink: :

SZG12jan08209.jpg

Nose of Yuri, prior to returning back to Domodedovo, close to Mockba :pardon: :

SZG12jan08301.jpg

Butts to follow... :blink:

Hope, you like the butts as much as the noses, bro :pardon:

Dedicated to Keith T, is this British Airways tail (never realised they used small dots to put effect to the flag :blink: ):

SZG12jan08050.jpg

Another British airline is Monarch, and surely, royalty needs a crown:

SZG12jan08034.jpg

Don't you think this is a really nice Russian butt ? (note the small white 'position' light underneath the central exhaust):

SZG12jan08078.jpg

Thomas Cook sport similar tails as the German Condor; only the registration will tell you the difference when you only see the 'back-part' of the plane:

SZG12jan08105.jpg

This Atlant-Soyuz chick is showing her Russian flag colours together with the seal of the city of Moscow:

SZG12jan08116.jpg

One of the best looking girls that afternoon was the one from Norway, showing a famous Norwegian person on the tailfin:

SZG12jan08136.jpg

Look at the amazed faces by seeing hundreds and hundreds of spotters behind the fence :blink: :blink: ; I love the way the flags of Norway, Sweden and Denmark are shown:

SZG12jan08217.jpg

Appropriately coloured in red: when two heart melt together, you've LOVE :pardon: Dedicated to Gavin, who saw this plance at SZB previously:

SZG12jan08243.jpg

Small girls become big girls as shown by her bigger t#@ts...(for comparison: check some Ryanair "old" colour pictures):

SZG12jan08246.jpg

This concludes my trip to Salzburg/Austria...hope you've enjoyed it as much as I did...

cold cold cold....

One year later, it was back to SZG for the 'Russian Invasion' :pardon:

Cold, cold, cold indeed: we started at -12 in the morning and when we left for the hotel at 5pm, it was still -4...

No more Tupolev 154's allowed, so most "Russians" were Western-built Boeings and Airbuses, except for the Yak-42's and TU-204/214's :(

Anyhow, here is an impression of what was seen at "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart" Airport, 10JAN2009:

Unfortunately, not the special colours like a week before, but still nice to see:

SZG10jan2009001.jpg

Not only Russian love to ski the slopes of the Alps, also lot's of 'rich & famous' like to do this, as shown by the many business-jets:

from Germany:

SZG10jan2009002.jpg

from Bulgaria:

SZG10jan2009010.jpg

from Moldova:

SZG10jan2009011.jpg

and Portuguese registered:

SZG10jan2009014.jpg

Flybe was operating this Jungle-Jet from/to Southampton:

SZG10jan2009003.jpg

New airline for me, was this Russian LCC SkyExpress.ru Boeing 737:

SZG10jan2009004.jpg

as well as Nordwind, operating the 757-200:

SZG10jan2009015.jpg

like the longer existing Vim Avia, also with the 757-200:

SZG10jan2009017.jpg

Luckily, Transaero came with a Tupolev Tu214 (and not with the 767-300 like last year):

SZG10jan2009012.jpg

look at the resemblance of this airplane with the 757 :blink: :

SZG10jan2009019.jpg

Even Mai enjoyed the spotting of the various planes @ SZG :pardon: :

SZG10jan2009013.jpg

Always good to see Norwegian.no with their 'real Norwegians' tail-colours:

SZG10jan2009005.jpg

this time it was Roald Amundsen:

SZG10jan2009006.jpg

With the demise of Sterling, Jettime now operates from Denmark to SZG:

SZG10jan2009020.jpg

Our Czech friends operated this beautifully painted 737-800 from/to Simferopol via Kiev:

SZG10jan2009007.jpg

didn't they operate for MAS before for awhile ? :huh:

SZG10jan2009008.jpg

(note the de-icing 'stuff' on the rear fuselage)

Rossiya operated this VQ-B registered (1st time for me to see this i.s.o. VP-B Airbus A320:

SZG10jan2009009.jpg

Still love this Lauda colour a lot better than the Niki one:

SZG10jan2009016.jpg

Hope, you've all enjoyed this small impression of the 'invasion'...we hope to be back next year !!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Pieter. Such a great variety of liveries. Thought I also saw Julie Andrews singing "The Sound of Music" in the hills in the background!

Even Mai enjoyed the spotting of the various planes @ SZG :pardon: :

Hmmmm ... are you sure she's 'enjoying' it? Can't even see her face. :D

Awesome photos from SZG,Uncle Pieter! :clapping:

After seeing the photos of your wife,Mrs Mai,i bet the weather at SZG was so cold at that time :pardon:

Hmmmm ... are you sure she's 'enjoying' it? Can't even see her face. :D

Surely, she did !!! She even stated this weather is a lot better than the 'heat & humidity' of Viet Nam :pardon:

...was only a little afraid for being 'arrested' due to wearing of this 'burka' :good:

After seeing the photos of your wife,Mrs Mai,i bet the weather at SZG was so cold at that time :pardon:

Weather indeed freezing cold :good: You can even see her breathing became ice on the shawl :blink:

Guest Levent

Great pictures Uncle Pieter, maybe we can meet up next winter season in either Innsbruck or Salzburg for some joint spotting :drinks:

(or at any other airport for that matter) ;-)