MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ibrahim

KLIA Aeropolis

yeah they change Late Kisho's masterplan for the symmetrical KLIA that actualy 4 satellite building. 2 MTB.. but they not change the Rwy. location i think it still 5 Rwy. 1 Rwy for shuttle plane to Singapore.

I just found out today that Kisho Kurokawa passed away on 14 October 2007. Is this why they simply suka-suka hati changed his masterplan?

Yes, he has passed on. But his design has been adopted for many airports and I'm quite sick of looking at the same grey, sterile looking airports which lack character. You see almost the same design at KCH, LBU, BTU, MYY.....

I liked the old KCH terminal better. Feels very 'Sarawak' with all the traditional motifs etc. I think SBW is one which still maintains its unique character.

But then, someone may have some ideas to develop SBW next........

Edited by Rozhan

Yes, he has passed on. But his design has been adopted for many airports and I'm quite sick of looking at the same grey, sterile looking airports which lack character. You see almost the same design at KCH, LBU, BTU, MYY.....

Frankly, after passing through so many airports in my lifetime, I've become desensitised to their shapes and forms, that I just do not care any more (like watching too much pr0n :)). It's just a spot for me to catch a plane and to leave a plane.

From what I see till now the traffic for international flight still justify for the 2nd Satellite Building. Improve the current situation first. Too many plans what for. Be realistic lah.

KUALA LUMPUR: The KL International Airport's (KLIA) mega property development project, “KLIA Aeropolis”, has immense potentials to emerge as a significant airport city in Asia in the next five to 10 years.

Prof John D. Kasarda, director of the Centre for Air Commerce of University of North Carolina's Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise, said KLIA, with good connectivity to the city, and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd's (MAHB) systematic implementation of components of the aerotropolis concept, would drive the success of KLIA Aeropolis.

“There are no real risks to KLIA developing into a major aerotropolis as the airport area has so much land,” Kasarda told Bernama in an interview.

Kasarda, known as the Father of Aerotropolis', said KLIA's position as a major aerotropolis would also depend on the amount of investment it attracted.

“In the past, airports were mainly perceived as transportation hubs. But today, it has evolved into a much more broader concept as a business, leisure and medical destination termed as aerotropolis,” he said.

KLIA Aeropolis has a huge landbank of 8,966ha. Over 2,428ha has been developed. Under the KLIA Aeropolis masterplan, 2,731ha has been approved for commercial development.

The project, which will have commercial business district, free commercial zone, theme park, hotels, meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions and natural conservation and green tourism zones, is expected to be completed within the next five to 10 years.

MAHB general manager of corporate planning, Randhill Singh, said the company had been cautious and systematic in its approach in developing the landbank at KLIA.

“Timing is also the key in any real estate development, and today we see strong interest in the land, in line with the population growth and the fruition of surrounding development plans,” he said.

KLIA, considered the 27th busiest airport in the world by passenger volume, also handled 39.9 million passengers in 2012 and was expected to grow between seven and 10 per cent this year, he said.

“Given all these positives, we believe the time is now ripe for some very exciting developments to commence,” Randhil said. - Bernama

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/6/8/business/13215502&sec=business

If they can't even get KLIA2 right, I can't see how they can do this one.

KLIA Aeropolis is a good project. Right now, KLIA is in the middle of nowhere. Too far from anything exciting.

Once the Aeropolis takes off, there is more one can look forward too particularly if on a long transit.

A project this big will need cooperation from everyone to be successful.. fed gov, state gov and private sectors..

Good, especially for those living near the vicinity....

I hope they wont be touching the land reserved for Kisho's masterplan. I still wanna see a KLIA with 4 satellites and 2 MTBs. But realistically, when will you guys think they will expand to that? If KLIA2 is settled, I think it is high time for them to consider Satellite B already

In other countries, various industries and businesses are spawning around the airport. However, MAHB have a monopoly of 100km2 of land at the airport and adjacent land is not available for business development, hence, KLIA is isolated.

Fascinating to find aircraft is assigned to faulty gate guidance system, need to tow in last few meters. Not that all gates at satellite terminal are occupied.

Edited by KK Lee

I had experienced an aircraft arriving early by 15 mins and had to wait in the aircraft for 15 mins. The Captain had announced that they had to wait for the aerobridge handlers as the aircraft arrived early.

Only experienced this in KLIA

I had experienced an aircraft arriving early by 15 mins and had to wait in the aircraft for 15 mins. The Captain had announced that they had to wait for the aerobridge handlers as the aircraft arrived early.

I've experienced something similar too. We arrived on a flight from BKI at night on time, but there was nobody to open the gate doors or something, at least that's what they told us.

I've experienced something similar too. We arrived on a flight from BKI at night on time, but there was nobody to open the gate doors or something, at least that's what they told us.

Ive had it before as well

Happened to me a few times in Singapore. The last time was in Sydney last year.

happened to me multiple times in SGN..cabin crew had a hard time asking passengers to sit down...

It happened in Heathrow too

if you arrive early for your appointment at the doctors and there's another patient in there,expect to wait.

Baggage more then 30 mins wait at KLIA ( 1hour norm) no excuse,pathetic at best.

I recall once arriving from BKI to KLIA2, the AK staff saw us arriving at the carousel and walked up to us to inform about the delay. I asked how long and he said 5 mins. Soon after the bags arrive. Waiting was too short.

Airasia to set up Airasia Engineering Complex at vacant area next to CAE. Nakano Construction Sdn Bhd who responsible for Mitsui Phase 2 construction is in charge for this project. But I cant see or find any plan/photo for this project.

Sign in to follow this