MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alan B.

Airasia X allowed pax to sleep on floor

Air Asia - by Steve Campbell

24 December 2007 Customer Trip Rating : AUG-3-STAR.gif

OOL-KUL return, 2nd flight out of Gold Coast since they started. Night flight both ways. Plane 15 years old A330 ex Aer Lingus. Leg room good (I am 183cm) got away with no checked bags- 21kg carry on between 3 of us (weigh it before you leave as they check both carry on and checked to the Kg) & you do not get the usual 15kg Air Asia free on X flights. Check in slow but OK, got seats allocated at counter both ways rather than pay for prebooked which was good as flight only about 60% full and we got to pick the seats. Stick to the Asian Meal if buying prepaid. Kids meal OK. Exchange rate for $AU to RM poor on plane & also at OOL , best to prepay for food and change $ when you get to KL. FAs friendly for budget airline - on the way back, they let me sleep on the floor between the centre seats. Return flight delayed by 2 hrs due to maintenance - Got RM5 McDonalds vouchers which was a bit of a shock. I would fly with them again given the ticket price and service. The seat allocations at check in make a big difference. Be aware that as they only have the one plane and do the maintenance on the turn around, the odds on it will be delayed. If you are flying on from KL I would suggest the onwards flight be the next day.

SKYTRAX Note: Very concerning that Air Asia FA's allowed this passenger to sleep on the floor

Found this Airasia X pax review on Skytrax. As an ex-cabin crew I too an concerned that the pax was allowed to sleep on the floor. I hope that AKX take note and it's safety department ensure that their crew enforce safety requirements.

Stick to the Asian Meal if buying prepaid. Kids meal OK. Exchange rate for $AU to RM poor on plane & also at OOL , best to prepay for food and change $ when you get to KL. FAs friendly for budget airline - on the way back, they let me sleep on the floor between the centre seats.

probably because the chap was travelling with children ?

and he/she might hv let the child sleep lying across the row ? :pardon:

and I wouldnt think of it as a safety hazard as the person was sleeping in between 2 rows of seats ?:)

Read about that too. I wonder how other cabin crew could also allow this to occur, especially the Inflight Supervisor. Even if the Inflight Supervisor was the one who allowed it, surely he / she was aware that other cabin crew might report it if they think it was against safety requirements.

Off topic, but for some while now already, I noticed that the writing style of many reviews at Skytrax are about the same. Almost always there are few, if at all, spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Could a group of people be writing some of the reviews, under ficticious names? And sell their products like the 'coveted, glittering' stars to airlines? How does Skytrax make money. They do need money to exist and survive, don't they? :)

probably because the chap was travelling with children ?

and he/she might hv let the child sleep lying across the row ? :pardon:

and I wouldnt think of it as a safety hazard as the person was sleeping in between 2 rows of seats ? :)

if the ac were to hit turbulance the pax is unsecured and may injure himself. That is why even when the fastern seat belt sign is off, you are still requested to have it fasten for just this reason. In a decompression he would be too low to reach the O2 mask that is if he hasn't been sucked out of the plane already.

if the ac were to hit turbulance the pax is unsecured and may injure himself. That is why even when the fastern seat belt sign is off, you are still requested to have it fasten for just this reason. In a decompression he would be too low to reach the O2 mask that is if he hasn't been sucked out of the plane already.

hmm ... good point there , dint think of it that way sir:)

but just a rebuttal (in the name of fun :p )

would there be turbulence at cruising attitude ? (around or above FL330) . And if the scenario of decompression is taken into account , couldnt the same be said of MAS which allows those below 175cm to be seated next to the emergency exits during take off's and landings?

How does Skytrax make money. They do need money to exist and survive, don't they? :)

Skytrash runs a consultancy for airlines on inflight service. Which makes their ranking methodologies all the more questionable as there are clear conflicts of interest there. The more cynical would argue opinions published on the website are ads for their airline clients...

Edited by Keith T

would there be turbulence at cruising attitude ? (around or above FL330) . And if the scenario of decompression is taken into account , couldnt the same be said of MAS which allows those below 175cm to be seated next to the emergency exits during take off's and landings?

There is turbulence even at FL 410.

Skytrash

I like that :D Somehow some airlines take immensly great pains to advertise their winning such trashy awards and recognition.

why 175 cm? procedure does not allow children and elderly pax seated next to exits. It it's prefered that able bodied pax are seated there. The reason is that if the crew handling that exit is in capacitated, the pax is able to operated the exit. My 75 year aunty who is "less than 175cm" was relocated on a KLM flight when she was first assigned a seat next to an exit. There are valid reason for all these safety procedures and the crew should never compromise.

and yes turbulence can happen at any flight level. There have many reported cases of pax and crew who were injured.

Think of your safety always!

Alan, what about pax laying down on seats, assuming the seat belt is worn?

I was on MH006 KCH-KUL sector on the then B777 service between KCH and FRA. Thers was this tall German gentleman who took over one of the many empty 5-seat middle rows of the B777 and slept all the way to KUL. I assume he had one of the seat belts on as no FA asked him to seat properly until before landing time. Is this acceptable?

Thers was this tall German gentleman who took over one of the many empty 5-seat middle rows of the B777 and slept all the way to KUL.

Everybody does that........

Alan, what about pax laying down on seats, assuming the seat belt is worn?

I was on MH006 KCH-KUL sector on the then B777 service between KCH and FRA. Thers was this tall German gentleman who took over one of the many empty 5-seat middle rows of the B777 and slept all the way to KUL. I assume he had one of the seat belts on as no FA asked him to seat properly until before landing time. Is this acceptable?

It's not. You have to be in a position so that you may have your seat belt fasten at least loosely.

Yes there are turbolences even up there. Just fly over the andaman sea and you see what I mean :) But worst inflight turbulences I encountered where on my trip to Los angeles, first over the ocean and another time over the rocky mountains. It was strong enough turbulence that the flight attendants tied themselves to their seats ;)

A similar debate is happening on Flyertalk - and someone offered that in the event of a decompression, the oxygen masks wouldn't be able to reach the floor.

Sign in to follow this