MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Delwin A

Mukah, Lahad Datu airports next

Mukah, Lahad Datu airports next

By Philip Kiew

Global Upline to build facilities capable of supporting travel industry in next 20 years

MIRI: Sarawak’s premier construction company, Global Upline, has set its sight on the proposed airport projects in Mukah, Sarawak and Lahad Datu in Sabah which are to be implemented next year.

Its adviser Tan Sri Ting Pek Khiing said preparatory works for these two projects were underway, following a year of roaring infrastructure project delivery in both states this year.

He said this in a press conference in the run-up to the official opening of Puchong traffic interchange on New Year’s Eve by Chief Minister Pehin Sri Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud.

Ting said both airports would be able to accommodate Boeing 747, and designed to meet the needs of socio-economic development of the respective regions for at least 20 years.

“We don’t want it to be under-designed as it cheaper to build in one go to meet future needs instead of spreading it out in stages,” he said.

He expected rising costs in future and talked about prudence in planning for the future by designing for maximum specifications for the fast growing demand of air transportation and development of the respective places.

The airport projects are expected to cost RM500 million each.

For Global Upline, the expertise and experience of building airports in both states will add to more feathers in its cap.

The company is king when it comes to fast delivery of major infrastructure projects. It has delivered the new and upgraded airports of Miri, Bintulu and Kuching in Sarawak; and Labuan airport and Terminal Two complex of Kota Kinabalu Airport in Sabah.

The accolades from abroad, Economic Planning Unit in the Prime Minister’s Department, Public Works Department and the industry underscored the professionalism and efficiency of the construction giant.

Global Upline won international awards as the best in business three years in a row, underlining its management and technical depth in delivering mega projects ahead of schedule without cost over-runs.

The company has lived up to every expectation in its numerous projects, and thus has earned admiration in both the corridors of power and the industry in both Malaysia and abroad.

Ting said his company does what it does best in the construction business, but ultimately it is the BN government plans and leadership at federal and state level which paved the way for infrastructure development in country.

Global Upline will also undertake eight interchange projects in Sabah next year.

Is there any need to build new airports for these towns? Kinda surprised by this :blink: .

Ya, may be is AK, because i has been Lahad Datu airport before it really is a small airport, still have wood building & the check in area still using fan.... :pardon: the runway i think only forker can landing, because it short runway only, so may be AK want to landing so have some good news loh... But the Lahad Datu is a very good place for visit, the sea food really nice & good prices. :yahoo:

But the Lahad Datu is a very good place for visit, the sea food really nice & good prices. :yahoo:

Same thing applies for Mukah too. The only downside I find about Lahad Datu is there seems to be more immigrants than locals <_>

It's no surprise as to the extension in Mukah, its Taibs hometown, he had his 9M-ATM land there a couple of times... so maybe he thinks its time for the upgrade.

Election or not, i think he still wins with or without the extension project <_>

MUKAH = Taib...

everyone in Sarawak is aware of this for quite some time now..

since election is coming .......y i never hear anything like they want to expand kudat airport :p :rofl: ...i am the first one to jump if i hear tat :rofl: :rofl:

in bolehland, there will be direct flights between Mukah and Frankfurt via KCH, KUL.

No need for this via here, via there business. The airport already going to be jumbo capable, so, it will be direct non-stops only, so that Mukah can be established as yet another aviation hub of Malaysia :)

It sounds like sheer nonsense that the new airports are to be built as 747-capable on the flimsy excuse that it is cheaper to build them to that specification now. Hence, why not build to accommodate A380s?

Maybe Emirates will fly nonstop from DXB to Mukah & Lahad Datu......in year 2035.

I agreed, election is approaching. Some of this plan can be just talks. I dont see Lahad Datu and Mukah needs to accomodate B747. Look at the KKIA T2, the construction tooks only 7 months but it's already leaking and cracking. Nothing to be proud of....besides MAB intends to use it as a Cargo Terminal uopn completiong of the new T1, that's rather too luxury if it is being utilised as Cargo Complex. At the end we the tax payer are the one who bear the cost. When there's no project there's no corruption, I regreted to say that's the Malaysian Government and the spirit of BN.

Maybe Emirates will fly nonstop from DXB to Mukah & Lahad Datu......in year 2035

So soon ?! Wow, better check if there are any special early bird deals to be had ! :D

Look at the KKIA T2, the construction tooks only 7 months but it's already leaking and cracking. Nothing to be proud of....

What sort of mentality is this? Its quality that matters..no point finishing in record time if the work done is shoddy..

Well,well.....What a 'great' news.

Looks like Sibu is technically 'assasinated',in economic reason.

Ting said both airports would be able to accommodate Boeing 747, and designed to meet the needs of socio-economic development of the respective regions for at least 20 years.

Surely be the joke of the year for 2007!

can accomodate a380 ha?

so, MAS a380 can fly to mukah lor..

via kch..

sarawakian and sabahans can watch the jumbo, another social contribution from MAS..

I prefer Mukah Airport to remain just as it is. Very third world community/kampung-like atmosphere. Very nice. They even allow you to walk to the tarmac to photograph an taxiying Twin Otter. I just hope they upgrade the canteen/cafeteria.

BTW, I understand that Mukah's runway is Fokker 50 capable.

another mini klia in the making.. <_>

I wonder why in the past few years, the gahmen is so busy building new / rebuilding old airports here and there. Why so much urgency? Makes me wonder if some people are fattening their bank accounts before it is 'too late'.