MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Robin

MAS to charge ticketing service fee

KOTA KINABALU: Malaysia Airlines will introduce a ticketing service fee for transactions at its 24-hour Call Centre and ticket offices in Malaysia from Jan 1 next year.

The fee will be RM15 per domestic travel transaction and RM30 for international transactions for both cash and credit card payments.

Travel agents in Malaysia will continue to apply their own service charges, MAS regional general manager for Malaysia/Asean Salleh Tabrani said in a statement.

“This nominal fee is to partially cover costs arising from all activities related to retail business transactions performed at our ticketing outlets and call centres,” he said.

He said customers who make internet bookings were exempted from such charge.

Just when you think that they can't screw you anymore......... they now add a ticketing service fee. So this means that you are paying RM15 to sit at a MH ticket office and wait for hours for your number to be called.

This is what you call "a 5 star airline with LCC cost" which is code for "Charge them 5 star prices and give them LCC service".

If customers need to wait for over 5 minutes in queue for a paid service (up to RM30), don’t think most if not all customers will be happy. MH management will need to add more service counters and personnel to justify the service charge.

Guess MH expect customers to pay for every elective service, wonder what other service charge MH is going to introduce next? May be check-in service charge or boarding pass printing charge, boarding gate toll charge, lost luggage service charge, lost luggage delivery charge?

:drinks:

Just when you think that they can't screw you anymore......... they now add a ticketing service fee. So this means that you are paying RM15 to sit at a MH ticket office and wait for hours for your number to be called.

This is what you call "a 5 star airline with LCC cost" which is code for "Charge them 5 star prices and give them LCC service".

It could be a strategy to ease the congestion at ticket office by directing customers to utilise the Internet Booking Engine to make reservation, pay and ticket the transaction since now they have launched eTicket capability. To me, this is a good move to lower their distribution cost to the least expensive channel.

It could be a strategy to ease the congestion at ticket office by directing customers to utilise the Internet Booking Engine to make reservation, pay and ticket the transaction since now they have launched eTicket capability. To me, this is a good move to lower their distribution cost to the least expensive channel.

While I do get the point made, most Malaysian do not have credit cards or even access to the internet and why only in Malaysia? Why not have this charge at ALL ticketing offices around the world?

While I do get the point made, most Malaysian do not have credit cards or even access to the internet and why only in Malaysia? Why not have this charge at ALL ticketing offices around the world?

Well...I think more payment options will be introduced in the near future...In addition, I am not suprise if this move is to pacify the travel agents in view of the zero commission that will be implemented next year 1 jan. By adding the service fee, agents will still maintain the market share and not losing customers to MAS direct channels.

Hmm..MH way to push for internet ticketing.. <_<

Using Windows 98 operating system as comparison, the only :blink: accessible internet booking in Malaysia is AK. Try doing that within MH website returned an error mesage..something to do with 128 bit encryption. Talk about internet booking. <_<

As most of my dealing during office hour and yes my MIS provided computer at office is the golden age Windows 98, I find this news very irritating. :angry:

sq also charge a fee for tickets issued at their paragon office. that's what i was told. and was advised to book via the call centre / online where there's no charge.

Hmm..MH way to push for internet ticketing.. <_>

Using Windows 98 operating system as comparison, the only :blink: accessible internet booking in Malaysia is AK. Try doing that within MH website returned an error mesage..something to do with 128 bit encryption. Talk about internet booking. <_>

As most of my dealing during office hour and yes my MIS provided computer at office is the golden age Windows 98, I find this news very irritating. :angry:

The site also doesn't work well with the "Safari" browser. With Firefox on Mac the schedules option doesn't work very well but at least the booking section works.

Both browsers work well with AK, FY, KL and EK sites where I have purchased tickets from.

To get more people to use the internet booking, they should offer more web only fares that are cheaper and offer RM15 rebates for booking online instead of milking more money from Malaysians.

Edited by Alan B.

The site also doesn't work well with the "Safari" browser. With Firefox on Mac the schedules option doesn't work very well but at least the booking section works.

[Mac user=ON]

Thankfully there's Safari 3 now which is compatible with MH website, although their webmaster probably is oblivious to it.

[Mac user = OFF]

Standard industry practice nowadays - but they need to ensure an efficient online booking experience.

sq also charge a fee for tickets issued at their paragon office. that's what i was told. and was advised to book via the call centre / online where there's no charge.

Well, at least SQ's online booking is way better than MH. With AK and SQ, you can find cheapest tickets if you have flexible dates. You can't do this with MH. SQ also has a better integration of e-ticketing. I can buy my ticket at my travel agent and go to SQ's website to check my itinerary. Not to mention the online check in.

They should have thought better ways of encouraging people to use their websites and travel agents.

Guest redharahmad
Standard industry practice nowadays - but they need to ensure an efficient online booking experience.

Tried booking via their website a few weeks ago to take advantage of the domestic supersavers deal and got an error message after submitting my credit card details. After calling their call centre and being put on hold for like forever, I was transfered to a rather friendly guy who told me that my booking was not received in the system.

The guy was very apologetic and even admitted that MH has a lot of problems with their online booking system and had to rebook my ticket over the phone. He even went as far as to suggest that I refrain from making online bookings and just book via the call centre in future.

With this service fee implementation, I have a bad feeling that the online booking engine will be even more overloaded ever so often. More and more frustrated passengers will have to resort to calling the call centre to complete their booking and MH will be laughing all the way to the bank, collecting more $$$ under the guise of 'ticketing service fee.'

Tried booking via their website a few weeks ago to take advantage of the domestic supersavers deal and got an error message after submitting my credit card details. After calling their call centre and being put on hold for like forever, I was transfered to a rather friendly guy who told me that my booking was not received in the system.

I've tried to use it for domestic tickets but it kept timing out. I'd have thought they'd ensure a good online booking engine before imposing a levy like that. I hope that they'd make exceptions if the booking cannot be completed online for whatever reason.

Edited by Keith T

Well, at least SQ's online booking is way better than MH. With AK and SQ, you can find cheapest tickets if you have flexible dates. You can't do this with MH. SQ also has a better integration of e-ticketing. I can buy my ticket at my travel agent and go to SQ's website to check my itinerary. Not to mention the online check in.

They should have thought better ways of encouraging people to use their websites and travel agents.

the table grid fare for flexible dates offerred by SQ is great! can choose cheaper fares if dates are flexbile. for MH... one has to manually go thru the fares for each day.. not to mention the permutation of going/return dates.

Tried booking via their website a few weeks ago to take advantage of the domestic supersavers deal and got an error message after submitting my credit card details. After calling their call centre and being put on hold for like forever, I was transfered to a rather friendly guy who told me that my booking was not received in the system. The guy was very apologetic and even admitted that MH has a lot of problems with their online booking system and had to rebook my ticket over the phone. He even went as far as to suggest that I refrain from making online bookings and just book via the call centre in future.With this service fee implementation, I have a bad feeling that the online booking engine will be even more overloaded ever so often. More and more frustrated passengers will have to resort to calling the call centre to complete their booking and MH will be laughing all the way to the bank, collecting more $$$ under the guise of 'ticketing service fee.'
Well...Heard that they are introducing a new booking engine in January...it should resolve the issues that you guys are facing now. I think MASWings is using the new booking engine by SITA
This sounds nasty but I guess all they are interested in is making money
Mike...I think that would be an obvious objective in business! Make money! As customers, we all have choices.... Edited by EddieDaniel

Guest Michael

Yes and everybody wants MAS to shine and be proud recognition for the nation right?

MH is screwing pax again :) :)

Had nothing to do so played around MH's booking website to see what nasty things they are up to nowadays.

Total fees, surcharges and taxes for peninsular sectors per way has jumped to another beautiful piece of red RM10.

Exactly 1 month ago when I last bought my 'final flight on MH' ticket, it was RM57 per way. Now it is already RM67.

I don't know what fee has gone up, but I'm immune to that now.

Selamat Terbang bersama 'world's best cabin staff' :)

MH is screwing pax again :) :)

Had nothing to do so played around MH's booking website to see what nasty things they are up to nowadays.

Total fees, surcharges and taxes for peninsular sectors per way has jumped to another beautiful piece of red RM10.

Exactly 1 month ago when I last bought my 'final flight on MH' ticket, it was RM57 per way. Now it is already RM67.

I don't know what fee has gone up, but I'm immune to that now.

Selamat Terbang bersama 'world's best cabin staff' :)

So damn bad! :(

Such increases has occured three times already in the past 5 months, and MH never even bothered to warn pax of impending hikes. Total thus far is RM20. They just do as and when they like in a very sneaky manner. What a way to do business!

Edited by Rozhan

The tax per passenger for flight between east and west malaysia had been increased to MYR106 recently, instead of MYR90.....they seems to implement it quietly aren't they?.... :angry:

Edited by Galson Y.

The lowest 'L' class fare to BKI is now RM610 nett, with tax and misc charges alone is already RM212. Add RM15 for ticket office purchase, and that's RM625 :)

Edited by Rozhan