MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Airport Tax Will Increase

The bulk of leisure travellers go to Asean countries so this will not affect them. Business travellers going international will still travel regardless of the psc rates. D7 will be most affected coz of this as the quantum for klia1 is not significant.

BTW the new Mavcom is really efficient in this. Let's see if they are as good as this when it comes to defending travellers' rights.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

BTW the new Mavcom is really efficient in this. Let's see if they are as good as this when it comes to defending travellers' rights.

They are also trying to impose their own tax. So I wonder if the international tax will partially help to fund them as well.

Frankly, I think Mavcom and the Competition Commission are redundant - I don't see consumers' rights significantly different from the days when these crony agencies did not exist. We have too many agencies duplicating each other and the government Ministries are doing less and less.

Hehehe, I think they will talk when it is convenient/advantageous for them to talk so that they don't share the spotlight with anyone else!

Tony had his own big problems at klia2 yesterday ;)

Check their Twitter feed and think deeply why are they offering BIG Points for free? hmmmm........

Besides, as I mentioned, the numbers are not final. Tony is indeed an influential man.

AirAsia to appeal against proposed increase in airport tax

However, its CEO Aireen Omar says AirAsia has not received any official notification from the Malaysian Aviation Commission on the increase.

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Bhd will submit an appeal to the government to rescind a proposed increase in the Passenger Service Charge (PSC) or airport tax.
In a statement today, AirAsia said it had received numerous enquiries on an article published by a local news portal on the impending increase in the airport tax, but that the low-cost carrier had not received any official notification from the Malaysian Aviation Commission (Mavcom).
AirAsia Chief Executive Officer Aireen Omar said the higher tax would be a direct burden on the people, making air travel more expensive and reducing overall demand for services offered by all airlines operating in Malaysia, crimping tourism, threatening jobs and hurting the economy.
“We hope that our fears and concerns of our guests are unfounded, but if it turns out to be true we will on behalf of our guests and the people, submit appeals to the Government of Malaysia to remove such increase in the tax,” she added.
Aireen stressed that Malaysia could also lose its competitiveness as a regional low-cost hub if this were to happen.
However, she expressed confidence that the Malaysian Government and Mavcom would put the nation’s long-term interests, the people and their jobs first, in line with the government’s plans for a stronger and more prosperous Malaysia.
“We are pleased that the Malaysian Government has acknowledged the distinctions between low-cost carriers and full-service carriers which would be a factor in considering the applicable tax,” she said, adding that the differences between the facilities in klia2 and KLIA are the obvious reasons why the tax should not be the same.

Source: Bernama

AirAsia Chief Executive Officer Aireen Omar said the higher tax would be a direct burden on the people, making air travel more expensive and reducing overall demand for services offered by all airlines operating in Malaysia, crimping tourism, threatening jobs and hurting the economy.

“We hope that our fears and concerns of our guests are unfounded, but if it turns out to be true we will on behalf of our guests and the people, submit appeals to the Government of Malaysia to remove such increase in the tax,” she added.

Aireen stressed that Malaysia could also lose its competitiveness as a regional low-cost hub if this were to happen.

However, she expressed confidence that the Malaysian Government and Mavcom would put the nation’s long-term interests, the people and their jobs first, in line with the government’s plans for a stronger and more prosperous Malaysia.

Source: Bernama

No doubt about it, those PR guys in the red corner are worth more than their weight in gold :D

Tony had his own big problems at klia2 yesterday ;)

Check their Twitter feed and think deeply why are they offering BIG Points for free? hmmmm........

Besides, as I mentioned, the numbers are not final. Tony is indeed an influential man.

Spill it if you know anything! :lol: Problems with their new hq? Heard from friends that they will move sometime in Oct.

And they are awarding 100 BIG Points to every web/mobile check in done until 22/10. Which I think is a bit weird coz they have an additional charge for counter check in, hence more $$. So if people wanna counter check in, should let them no?

Anyone else surprised at the absence of hissy, fussy noises from Tan Sri TF and rest of the red corner ?

Perhaps they know more than what has been leaked so far

Or rather it's unprofessional to throw a hissy fit based on a rumor.

AirAsia to appeal against proposed increase in airport tax

“We are pleased that the Malaysian Government has acknowledged the distinctions between low-cost carriers and full-service carriers which would be a factor in considering the applicable tax,” she said, adding that the differences between the facilities in klia2 and KLIA are the obvious reasons why the tax should not be the same.

People have mentioned this and I probably failed to see this when I used T2 a couple of times, but what facilities at T2 is lacking compared to T1? The PSC should be standardized - I don't pay less tax if I flew AK/3K/TR out of any other stations than I do with MH/SQ/TG.

Or rather it's unprofessional to throw a hissy fit based on a rumor.

People have mentioned this and I probably failed to see this when I used T2 a couple of times, but what facilities at T2 is lacking compared to T1? The PSC should be standardized - I don't pay less tax if I flew AK/3K/TR out of any other stations than I do with MH/SQ/TG.

A 80 sqm 2 bed 2 bath apartment has the same facility as a 80 sqm 2 bed 2 bath condo, why people pay more for condo?

A 80 sqm 2 bed 2 bath apartment has the same facility as a 80 sqm 2 bed 2 bath condo, why people pay more for condo?

Omg! I've been ripped off by the Singaporeans for years! I'm outraged that I pay the same taxes when flying out of the 25 year old T2 as those lucky passengers at the gleaming T3.

Spill it if you know anything! :lol: Problems with their new hq? Heard from friends that they will move sometime in Oct.

And they are awarding 100 BIG Points to every web/mobile check in done until 22/10. Which I think is a bit weird coz they have an additional charge for counter check in, hence more $$. So if people wanna counter check in, should let them no?

True, but:

1. What if their systems weren't working? Hmm....

2. Why?

AirAsia, masters of the public relations. You have to give them that :) Always the good guy in the eyes of the average Joe.

Anyway, back on topic, net-net, if the rumored new PSC charges are true, wonder if MAHB actually "wins", considering about 50% of flights are ASEAN-bound? Hmm.....

Edited by jani

Apples and oranges. Is the apartment and condo in the same location, electricity, water, security plus other essential items managed by the same company?

LAX is one of the airports I frequent - should they install a toll booth on the walkway between T4 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT)? Or do I need to pay more taxes when AA swapped my T4 gate to a TBIT gate? TBIT is a gleaming new terminal with much better facilities - from retail to dining to passenger comfort but that didn't justify additional taxes.

I could argue the same for CGK T3 vs. T1/2, BOM T2 vs. T1, CDG T2F vs T1, GRU T3 vs. T1/2 etc. One airport one PSC.

Edited by Craig

From a passenger point of view, I prefer KLIA2 instead of MTB, but not the airlines flying from there. So, its up to people's opinion/judgement. What is there at KLIA2 that's not available at MTB? So i think the equalling of PSC is somewhat justifiable.

What is bad is that you cannot get to the check in counters immediately after getting down from your car/taxi. There is still a long walk through the shopping mall, followed by escalators before you arrive at the airport proper. This is inconvenient and time consuming. And it is not all - after clearing immigration, passengers will be faced with another long walk to the aircraft. In this respect, MTB is superior.

I think MTB is suited for business passengers, KLIA2 is more for leisure travellers. Thus PB's plan to use KLIA2 for 'leisure destinations?'. But for me, no matter which airport, I'll always arrive more than 3hrs, sometimes 6hrs before STD due to me being an aviation freak. But it may differ for others.

Apples and oranges. Is the apartment and condo in the same location, electricity, water, security plus other essential items managed by the same company?

LAX is one of the airports I frequent - should they install a toll booth on the walkway between T4 and Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT)? Or do I need to pay more taxes when AA swapped my T4 gate to a TBIT gate? TBIT is a gleaming new terminal with much better facilities - from retail to dining to passenger comfort but that didn't justify additional taxes.

I could argue the same for CGK T3 vs. T1/2, BOM T2 vs. T1, CDG T2F vs T1, GRU T3 vs. T1/2 etc. One airport one PSC.

T2/KLIA2 was designed and built to cater lcc with cheaper psc in mind. Many facilities e.g toilet size, walkalator length, area located for immigration, number of baggage reclaim belts, number of turning corners, change of elevation, etc was purposely downgraded to frustrate pax convenience.

Edited by KK Lee

What cannot be denied is that the Malaysian Government has stated clearly that klia2/LCCT2 is for budget and/or low cost airlines. Airport Tax is determined by the government through its agencies. The Government's policy is to encourage affordable/low cost air travel. As such, a rebate was given for this terminal because it is government policy to do so.

If you wish to travel full service, use KLIA and its full service carriers. If you want lower cost travelling, you use klia2/LCCT 2 and suffer the inconvenience of that terminal.

If what is reported in The Sun is true, then it represents a shift in government policy.

Edited by flee

T2/KLIA2 was designed and built to cater lcc with cheaper psc in mind. Many facilities e.g toilet size, walkalator length, area located for immigration, number of baggage reclaim belts, number of turning corners, change of elevation, etc was purposely downgraded to frustrate pax convenience.

You had me at toilet size.

What cannot be denied is that the Malaysian Government has stated clearly that klia2/LCCT2 is for budget and/or low cost airlines. Airport Tax is determined by the government through its agencies. The Government's policy is to encourage affordable/low cost air travel. As such, a rebate was given for this terminal because it is government policy to do so.

Think of it this way - AK, TR, 3K, MH, and OD all have a KUL-SIN sale - $0 fare with no admin fees etc. and you only pay taxes/PSC. OD and MH is already at a disadvantage right from the get-go because of the PSC. In fact, AK, TR, and 3K can even have a $10 base fare plus $20 credit card fees and be ahead of MH and OD!

You see why TF is "championing" for lower PSC at T2?

Think of it this way - AK, TR, 3K, MH, and OD all have a KUL-SIN sale - $0 fare with no admin fees etc. and you only pay taxes/PSC. OD and MH is already at a disadvantage right from the get-go because of the PSC. In fact, AK, TR, and 3K can even have a $10 base fare plus $20 credit card fees and be ahead of MH and OD!

You see why TF is "championing" for lower PSC at T2?

I do not believe that you are buying the same product - and this applies to both the airport and carrier.

Apart from having to trek through a shopping complex before arriving at the airport proper, MH and OD fares include checked in baggage allowances and on board food. You will have to pay additional fees for that on board the LCCs. These are some of the reasons why FSC fares are higher.

At the end of the day, its all about choice. You want pampering, luxurious lounges, more convenient access to check in desks and boarding gates, you use the FSCs. If you can find lower fares with LCCs, you use them and endure the inconveniences that come along with these airlines.

If this levelling of playing field does jadi, it will be very, very bitter to swallow following eviction from BKI T2 not too long ago

I think Tony's keeping quiet coz he acknowledges the lower tax for Asean destinations is a good move, advantageous to them. He's been championing Asean for a while already now so it's a small victory. Aireen's statement is also a bit docile in nature. Unlike the previous ones coming from the Red camp.

Well the ASEAN tax rate is still higher than the current International Tax rate. But lets get our popcorn and enjoy the show.... :clapping:

Well the ASEAN tax rate is still higher than the current International Tax rate. But lets get our popcorn and enjoy the show.... :clapping:

Err.. is it?

Sign in to follow this