MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Subang Skypark Development Including New RM 1.5 Billion KTM Rail Link

I hope not, unless they can check in their luggage! It is important that the Subang Airport train operates directly from Sentral without need to change trains. Being a branch line should not complicate the issue - so only those coming from other lines, e.g. Port Klang, need to change to the Subang-Sentral line.

Initially, Singapore's East West line had direct trains to Changi Airport. Unfortunately this meant some less informed pax found themselves at the airport rather than Pasir Ris, which prompted SMRT to branch off the Tanah Merah-Changi extension.

Unless there's sufficient demand to justify a Sentral-Subang train, it won't make sense to make most of the commuters to disembark at Subang Jaya and wait for the next train.

Maybe, on the way back from Subang Airport. That would make more sense for the trains to merge with the main line and continue to Sentral.

Trains can run from Sentral to Skypark with stops in all the stations along the line.

Those headed for stations beyond Subang Jaya and onward to Port Klang can take the Port Klang bound train.

So in other words, those along the Sentral and Subang Jaya stations would benefit the additional service and frequency. :drinks:

KTM Komuter's frequency is severely bottlenecked by the stretch of railway between the old KL station and the Batu junction (the split towards sentul and sg buloh). That stretch is only double tracked, whereas it should be at least triple or quad tracked. You have both the Port Klang line and the Seremban line running that stretch, not to mention their intercity trains and also freight. They need to do something about that stretch to have any hope of seriously improving the service. They might do a shuttle service from Subang Jaya first, before gradually introducing express service from KL Sentral with limited stops. It should be relatively easy to do from KL Sentral

For now any shuttle or train from KLIA to SZB is God sent. Let's improve from there.

SkyPark Terminal to serve 5 million passengers by 2020

SUBANG: The SkyPark Terminal in Subang is expected to serve five million passengers by 2020 from the 3.1 million currently.
Subang SkyPark Sdn Bhd executive director Tan Sri Ravindran Menon said the company had forecast a larger volume of passengers as the Skypark Terminal 2, was expected to be launched in the first half 2017.
“The terminal is expected to be completed in 20 months and measure between 85,000 sq ft to 100,000 sq ft,” he told reporters at the signing ceremony of a four-year agreement between SkyPark and Grab, the ride hailing service, in Subang on Tuesday.
Ravindran said the agreement would make the commute for travellers from SkyPark Terminal to their preferred destinations more convenient.
“The agreement between both parties, results from a mutual aim to provide both business and leisure travellers with rides that are safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective,” he added.
He said travellers would be able to book their Grab rides even before they leave the arrival hall through a Grab kiosk.
SkyPark Terminal is the first airport in Malaysia to collaborate with Grab, making it the official ride hailing service for the airport.
More:

Last week i made a trip to Subang Airport to try the new train connection.

I was really surprised about the low load factor....from KL i was one of two and on the way back i was one of three.

A malay friend told me "the station is too far from the terminal...you have to use a grab from there" :rofl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Abdul_Aziz_Shah_Airport

https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/metro-news/2019/03/02/calls-to-make-train-station-more-visible/

Touted as a faster and more convenient way to get to the airport from the city, Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB)’s KL Sentral-Subang Jaya-Skypark Terminal link was launched in May last year, with a projected ridership of 3,000 passengers daily.
But now, 10 months on, the actual number of users is far lower, with sources claiming only 160 passengers board the train every day. That means most of the time, the trains run empty.

20190315_074445gjkya.jpg

20190315_075105b3kd8.jpg

20190315_075600l5j0j.jpg

20190315_08465489jbn.jpg

20190315_085135fqkb4.jpg

20190315_085234ukj2p.jpg

20190315_085323oikw6.jpg

20190315_085637j8j6b.jpg

20190315_090946jrjbh.jpg

i won't take this train too - 1 train per hour frequency is too long an interval.... are they running more trains now?

i just took a ride yesterday from SZB to KLSentral.
Arrived SZB at 12.50pm, then have a quick bite before walking to the station.

Was at the station 30mins before scheduled train departure time (1410) and wanted to buy a ticket.
A personnel there advised me to wait at the hall first as its still early, citing that I may want to wait until 2pm to get a ticket, in case i changed my mind and get a 'faster' alternative. Lol

Edited by Fahiruz

For those who missed this recent new tthe train service has been stopped due to poor usage

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2023/01/20/skypark-link-to-kl-sentral-suspended-until-feb-15-says-loke

however some interesting news today....

Lots of changes coming to SZB including 737 and A320 flights. I wonder if and how they will expand the terminal.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2023/02/06/cabinet-has-given-nod-for-subang-airport-revamp-says-transport-minister

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/node/654128

if and how they will expend teh termini; 

Yes, a positive development - however, to accommodate jets, a new apron and terminal will be required. Lets see what the plans are.

41 minutes ago, flee said:

Yes, a positive development - however, to accommodate jets, a new apron and terminal will be required. Lets see what the plans are.

Agreed.  The T2 site was supposed to be redeveloped as per the news over the past 24 month but not sure if anything as started. A super google earth there is some land where T1 used to be. If jet services start then I would imagine that the demand will be strong. 

Not understand the news? does it mean any airline can operate at subang starting today?

or the terminal must be relocated/rebuild/expand for cater jet?

wonder if foreign airline can be used or no?

Maybe the cargo flight will be using the cargo apron at the Raya complex. Not sure about commercial flight unless they redesign the parking layout to accommodate B737/A320 like Ho Chi Minh airport with possibility demolishing the waiting area to make way for more parking.  Though it might interrupt with the abundance of ATR72 operations. Is there a possibility that Firefly/Batik Air may replace their ATR72 operations with B737 operating from Subang ?

Edited by Zamir

4 hours ago, Robert said:

Agreed.  The T2 site was supposed to be redeveloped as per the news over the past 24 month but not sure if anything as started. A super google earth there is some land where T1 used to be. If jet services start then I would imagine that the demand will be strong. 

The T1 old area seems to be crowded with developments.  Unless they demolish some of the hangars to make way and concentrate all MRO related services around MAB hangars and redeveloped it. If I'm not mistaken, Malaysia Airlines is moving all its operations to KLIA and centralized their services there.

Edited by Zamir

9 hours ago, Zamir said:

Maybe the cargo flight will be using the cargo apron at the Raya complex. Not sure about commercial flight unless they redesign the parking layout to accommodate B737/A320 like Ho Chi Minh airport with possibility demolishing the waiting area to make way for more parking.  Though it might interrupt with the abundance of ATR72 operations. Is there a possibility that Firefly/Batik Air may replace their ATR72 operations with B737 operating from Subang ?

My understanding based on the media inc interviews is that the MRO will be increased and the airport will function as a smaller city airport. YB Loke mentioned how Heathrow is the main hub and London City and others compliment it. He also mentioned that jet airlines will be free to apply for routes from SZB once the terminals have been redeveloped. I believe that the ATR72 services will continue.

It seems that the govt has approved this but the final plan hasn't been finalised yet.

They have to revamp and increase its Subang Airport-KL Sentral train service. The discontinued once an hour train service is just not feasible for most passengers (much better if there's a Subang Jaya station - Subang Airport shuttle plus Subang Airport - KL Sentral train service). Even better if the KJ line had a small spur line to SZB from either Subang Jaya or Lembah Subang station. But I guess it's too late for that now.

Maybe MAHB's intent for SZB is to be like TSA or GMP? Limited regional flights with limited operating hours.

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

He also mentioned that jet airlines will be free to apply for routes from SZB once the terminals have been redeveloped. I believe that the ATR72 services will continue.

ATR seems good for smaller secondary cities in Sumatra and peninsula Malaysia. A new terminal will probably take 3-5 years to complete? So realistically we are looking around 2028 for jet operations at SZB.

32 minutes ago, Craig said:

They have to revamp and increase its Subang Airport-KL Sentral train service. The discontinued once an hour train service is just not feasible for most passengers (much better if there's a Subang Jaya station - Subang Airport shuttle plus Subang Airport - KL Sentral train service). Even better if the KJ line had a small spur line to SZB from either Subang Jaya or Lembah Subang station. But I guess it's too late for that now.

Maybe MAHB's intent for SZB is to be like TSA or GMP? Limited regional flights with limited operating hours.

ATR seems good for smaller secondary cities in Sumatra and peninsula Malaysia. A new terminal will probably take 3-5 years to complete? So realistically we are looking around 2028 for jet operations at SZB.

How about using the parking space of the KTM to build the new terminal so that there is a more direct connection with the KTM station. And then use the old terminal as the waiting area for the passengers. Will be looking forward to their new plans for redevelopment.

11 hours ago, Zamir said:

Logically, the abandoned T2 should be the most suitable site as it is just next door to Skypark. So extending the apron into one contiguous apron would be a simple thing to do. I think that to ease passenger traffic flow, we will need a two level terminal - one for departures and another for arrivals. Multi storey car park facilities will be required and the Subang Airport highway needs to be upgraded as there is a huge chokepoint at the Glenmarie and NKVE interchange.

I think Batik Air/Firefly will prefer to retain turboprops for services to the smaller airports and maybe add Airbus A220 or Embraer eJets for higher demand routes. I think high frequency services is preferable to large capacity aircraft for city airports. Passengers are also looking for quick check in and boarding and not need to hang around the airport for too long.

KTM ought to be ashamed of themselves - the one train per hour service is simply not convenient. I would say the minimum is 3 trains per hour. I would think the Subang is better served by having a spur line from the Kelana Jaya LRT. Another thing is that the walkway from the train station should be equipped with travolators as passengers need to carry baggage from the station to the terminal. A bus station may also be needed for buses to drop and pickup passengers.

We really need to wait for the developer's plans - if they come up with something after a detailed study of the features required of a modern city airport, we could be seeing a huge buzz around Subang again.

Edited by flee

Raya seems to be moving out to KLIA this year end. The current Cargo apron(not owned by raya/transmile) has the capability to handle 14 a320/737s. However the office and hangars are under Raya ownership. 

No way Airod or Fy hangars will give way to allow expansion from the current turboprop terminal+apron. 

Also it seems this project if it actually comes to fruition will be subjected to curfew like any other city airports.

Few things the MOT has to settle namely the road accessibility. The jams in subang at 4pm++ towards sunway Puchong can be crazy. Then there's the KTM frequency but this can be easily sorted out compated to the roads. 

Fernandes: AirAsia has applied to operate flights from Subang Airport under the airport's regeneration plan

“In big cities like Kuala Lumpur, you need to have more airports. I think it is a very bold, [a] brave and right decision for the domestic aviation industry in Malaysia.

"I imagine it will be more expensive to fly from Subang Airport than the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), but I think it is the right decision,” Fernandes told reporters at the launch of AirAsia’s new AI-powered concierge that replaced its AirAsia Virtual Allstar, AVA, on Wednesday (Feb 8).

AirAsia plans to target a new group of passengers for growth at the Subang Airport, and that routes would likely focus on regional destinations, Fernandes said.

I was told that in all MAHB proposals.. Never mentioned once 737/A320 (only A220).. Suddenly when Minister met press.. Spoke about 737/A320 😉

27 minutes ago, jani said:

I was told that in all MAHB proposals.. Never mentioned once 737/A320 (only A220).. Suddenly when Minister met press.. Spoke about 737/A320 😉

Why the A220 specifically? It’s not like any domestic/regional carriers have them. The 737/A320 makes perfect sense for our region.

Unless…we’ll be seeing MH CityFlyer? :D

On 2/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, jahur said:

Raya seems to be moving out to KLIA this year end. The current Cargo apron(not owned by raya/transmile) has the capability to handle 14 a320/737s. However the office and hangars are under Raya ownership. 

No way Airod or Fy hangars will give way to allow expansion from the current turboprop terminal+apron. 

Also it seems this project if it actually comes to fruition will be subjected to curfew like any other city airports.

Few things the MOT has to settle namely the road accessibility. The jams in subang at 4pm++ towards sunway Puchong can be crazy. Then there's the KTM frequency but this can be easily sorted out compated to the roads. 

Is the current cargo apron still across Subang Airport Road (where the former MASKargo complex was)? IF that's where they plan to build the new terminal, this will be another KLIA T1 to KLIA LCCT (before T2 was built) scenario. How do MH/FY connect from jet to turboprop vv service unless there's a dedicated airside shuttle?

And yes, traffic past 4PM is horrendous around there and I'd never buy a ticket that'll arrive past 4PM or depart between 5 and 8PM from SZB. A spur line from either LRT3 or LRT KJ line would work best (topic for another day, drop the LRT/MRT and just name the train lines accordingly, e.g. KJ line instead of LRT KJ line). I don't know why Malaysia need some grand and long public transit line when a spur line will work perfectly well in some cases (also topic for another day/forum: the monorail is a great inner city line but it needs to be underground and operate at a higher frequency). 😬

23 hours ago, jani said:

Maybe he misread 😉 Saw A220 but thought it was a typo and corrected it to A320 🤣

Question: Who would want to fly A220 when the SZB slots will be most probably be restricted due to curfew and capped movement and Airbus has no A220 support around the region. Will MAB Group or Capital ABC take the dive and set up a huge MRO centre for the Asia Pacific region? I highly doubt.