MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Subang Skypark Development Including New RM 1.5 Billion KTM Rail Link

Lets hope KTM remembers to buy the train sets to run on the line. Minimum level of service should be every 20 mins for Subang in order for the trains to be convenient.

I still remember the KL-IPH double tracking fiasco when the track was completed with no trains capable of using the electrified line! Diesel trains were operated for over a year before new rolling stock was introduced - the ETS.

KTM *does not* buy its own rollingstock, neither does it fund the double tracking project or any other major projects. The Government does both, basically. KTM is merely an operating entity - it does not make purchase decisions. KTM may make its requirements known, offer technical advice, but the bigger entity holding the purse has the final say.

Edited by H Azmal

KTM *does not* buy its own rollingstock, neither does it fund the double tracking project or any other major projects. The Government does both, basically. KTM is merely an operating entity - it does not make purchase decisions. KTM may make its requirements known, offer technical advice, but the bigger entity holding the purse has the final say.

Out of curiosity is KTMB the sole railway company in Malaysia, with the exception of the Sabah railway?

On another note I wonder how feasible it is to have two airports serving the capital, KUL and SZB, like LHR and LGW. But then again KUL is still under utilised, ah well :rolleyes:

The line, a 6km spur from the Port Klang KTM branch at Subang Jaya, has been in existence since 1983, and the rails and everything are all still in situ. The news worded it as if it no longer exists.

Anyway, the original line terminated just short of the former T1, at a station called Sri Subang, and was used mainly to transport jet fuel from Port Dickson.

Azmal, I remember seeing a railway line just before T1 in my childhood days - my parents used to take me to Subang airport every week to watch the planes parked in T2 and taking off at the end of runway 33.

Given this rail extension is funded by Subang Skypark under PFI, is out of parliament and AG inspection. Skypark can award the project to anyone at any price, the final project price is almost certain will exceed the already inflated budget of RM1.5 billion.

SZB pax movement was about 1.12 million in 2010. Assume pax movement increased to 2.0 million p.a. and 50% of pax use the train service. At RM35/pax, payback period at 0% interest and zero opex is over 40 years, which is commercially not feasible.

If previous GLC bailout is any example and BeEnd continue to stay in power; it is likely that this rail link will extend to Subang 2 or Sg Buloh for the gomen to take over the project and Skypark is relief of debt.

Edited by KK Lee

Out of curiosity is KTMB the sole railway company in Malaysia, with the exception of the Sabah railway?

On another note I wonder how feasible it is to have two airports serving the capital, KUL and SZB, like LHR and LGW. But then again KUL is still under utilised, ah well :rolleyes:

well i think KL able to sustain 2 airport as both airport located at totally 2 different locations and quiet far from each other. SZB only offers limited flights,so most people still prefer KUL. And the number of passengers at KUL is increasing every year. Last year KUL already reached 30++ millions passengers.

well i think KL able to sustain 2 airport as both airport located at totally 2 different locations and quiet far from each other. SZB only offers limited flights,so most people still prefer KUL. And the number of passengers at KUL is increasing every year. Last year KUL already reached 30++ millions passengers.

Most people choose KUL not because they prefer KUL but choice not available at SZB else gomen won't limit SZB to turboprop only.

Edited by KK Lee

Most people choose KUL not because they prefer KUL but choice not available at SZB else gomen won't limit SZB to turboprop only.

yeah, i already mentioned that most people still prefer KUL coz SZB only offers limited flights. cheers!

Nationwide railway as we know it, yes. Other operators currently are RapidKL, JKNS (Sabah), ERL.

Azmal, I remember seeing a railway line just before T1 in my childhood days - my parents used to take me to Subang airport every week to watch the planes parked in T2 and taking off at the end of runway 33.

That's the one. Hey, my parents did the same too - parking by the roadside just outside the perimeter fence facing runway 33. I would sit on the car roof ( I was still lightweight then haha). I remember that there was a mock 747 front section being used as a restaurant nearby, which itself was used as a prop to welcome Visit Malaysia Year in 1990. Sorry, straying a bit there :D

Edited by H Azmal

Nationwide railway as we know it, yes. Other operators currently are RapidKL, JKNS (Sabah), ERL.

That's the one. Hey, my parents did the same too - parking by the roadside just outside the perimeter fence facing runway 33. I would sit on the car roof ( I was still lightweight then haha). I remember that there was a mock 747 front section being used as a restaurant nearby, which itself was used as a prop to welcome Visit Malaysia Year in 1990. Sorry, straying a bit there :D

I think I can recall seeing that restaurant too. I was very little back then, it had a picture of a lobster or something?

I remember looking at Lego models in glass displays at Terminal 3 way way back. Boy trying to bring back vague childhood memories sure is hard :p

Found this picture on net, u mean this place abandoned railway track in Subang as mentioned?

AbandonedKTM.jpg

Who wants the hassle of lugging along their baggage off and on the train? The present KLIA express rail is already in tattered condition due to poor passenger figures,and they expect to make another one?

It will not be commercially viable. If they must build one, why not just link up Putra Star rail which is just a couple of Kilometers away to Skypark?

I see this as another money spinning idea.

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 23 — Subang Skypark Sdn Bhd is set to embark on an ambitious RM420 million infrastructure development plan to transform the former Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, now known as Subang Skypark, into a full-fledged aerospace city by 2015.

Its executive director, Tan Sri Ravindran Menon, said the company was planning to utilise between four hectares and 4.8 hectares of land opposite Terminal 3 to build a boutique hotel, an aviation museum and a theme park as part of a retail mall.

“We are in the final round of talks with our expert joint-venture partner, a local established player in the retail and hotel industry.

“The development, named Skypark Nexus, will have an approximate built-up area of one million square feet and will rejuvenate the airport’s branding as well as enhance the wholesomeness of customer experience in the airport and its surrounding areas,” he told Bernama.

Ravindran said all negotiations were expected to be concluded by year-end and work was expected to commence in January.

He added that Skypark Nexus, which would be completed in 24 months, was budgeted to cost between RM300 million and RM350 million.

He said the proposed retail mall and hotel would be between four and five storeys high and Subang Skypark was now talking to the local government to widen the main roads fronting the proposed development to avoid traffic congestion.

While describing the project as a perfect public-private sector partnership, Ravindran said the cost would be financed through internal fundings and bank borrowings.

“The special aspect in the development is that there will be a bridge linking the mall and the terminal building, a concept rarely seen in city airports worldwide,” he said, adding that Subang Skypark would invest more than RM70 million to build five new hangars across the current airport runway.

“We have just awarded the contracts and the hangars will be sprawled over 12 hectares across the runway. The work has begun and we expect them to be operational by June next year.

“These hangars will be for parking and maintenance, repair and operations of both private and corporate jets. Each of the hangars can accommodate up to five aircraft at any one time,” he said.

He added the new facilities would elevate Subang Skypark to be on par with other city airports and corporate aviation operators worldwide.

Since most aviation-related corporation headquarters were situated in the surroundings of Subang Skypark, Ravindran said Subang would be better known as an aerospace city in the next three years.

“We want to be a fine example to Malaysia Airports on how to develop a city airport. This place will surely boom in years to come as all aviation-related investments will come to this area.

“There are also plans to establish an aviation technical college, of which Measat Satellite Systems Sdn Bhd is currently looking at that proposal,” he said.

Subang airport was officially opened to traffic on August 30, 1965, replacing the old Sungai Besi Airport.

Before the 1998 opening of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport served as Kuala Lumpur’s main international airport.

The airport underwent renovation work at Terminal 3 from February 2008 and was completed in October 2009, and was later renamed Subang Skypark, which is the current hub for Berjaya Air and Firefly. — Bernama

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/subang-skypark-to-spend-rm420m-to-develop-old-subang-airport/

The thing that got me excited was the aviation museum. About time!

Wow. 420 Million RM. No less.That is not small beer.

You have t give it to this Tan Sri. R.

If you can swing that amount towards your project, you are a champion.

Last time i looked, the Skypark seemed a little bit empty, no business so to speak.

But maybe I do not have the Boleh look necesary to see what is not there.

Waiting for BCT to educate me further.

I would love to be intrduced to the copywriters of the plan at hand, they did a stellar job.

Or am I naive now?

Art Out

I really hope they can develope the old international terminal into something new.. Such an eyesore nowadays..

I really hope they can develope the old international terminal into something new.. Such an eyesore nowadays..

They already demolished the International Terminal (Terminal 1) many years ago, and built some modern aerospace exhibition building or something. Did you mean terminal 2?

They already demolished the International Terminal (Terminal 1) many years ago, and built some modern aerospace exhibition building or something. Did you mean terminal 2?

I think he meant T2, which is next door to Skypark.

T1 site is now the site of Spirit Aerosystems factory.

Despite traffic jam during rush hour, szb is still the preferred airport for most kv regular travellers.

God bless us and hope that the MRT project will finish soon......then come all those new housing development.....SZB is hardly 'near' as described by FY and OD. Recalled last year when one lorry overturned and there is only way from PJ, Subang areas into SZB........many people missed their flight.

God bless us and hope that the MRT project will finish soon......then come all those new housing development.....SZB is hardly 'near' as described by FY and OD. Recalled last year when one lorry overturned and there is only way from PJ, Subang areas into SZB........many people missed their flight.

bsY8oVQ.jpg

This will make it easier for people soon. I just wish that KTM, or at least the Komuter part is under Prasarana. That will make them better. The current management just stinks