MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

KLIA Masterplan

Assuming you are taking MH from CGK to BKK via KUL i.e. CGK/KUL then KUL/BKK, and MH is operating the same aircraft for both sectors, one can walk off and on to the same gate. Normal transit time for the aircraft is 50 minutes but luggage needs much longer to sort and transfer. As the result, you won’t be able to take this flight to BKK even on the same aircraft from CGK.

With this scenario, how many airlines will consider KUL as their hub? Without redesigning the airport layout and system, don’t think KUL is serious to be a hub, or MAHB don’t understand what airlines need for a hub.

:drinks:

Assuming you are taking MH from CGK to BKK via KUL i.e. CGK/KUL then KUL/BKK, and MH is operating the same aircraft for both sectors, one can walk off and on to the same gate. Normal transit time for the aircraft is 50 minutes but luggage needs much longer to sort and transfer. As the result, you won’t be able to take this flight to BKK even on the same aircraft from CGK.

With this scenario, how many airlines will consider KUL as their hub? Without redesigning the airport layout and system, don’t think KUL is serious to be a hub, or MAHB don’t understand what airlines need for a hub.

I am not quite clear with the scenario too. My A.Netter friend, SIA fan, flew from CGK to BKK via KUL (MH 710 and MH 782) once on a same aircraft, 9M-MKS, without having any problem.

Here is his trip report. http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_...read.main/44138

I am not quite clear with the scenario too. My A.Netter friend, SIA fan, flew from CGK to BKK via KUL (MH 710 and MH 782) once on a same aircraft, 9M-MKS, without having any problem.

According to our travel agency, neither MH or MAHB can guarantee that luggage will be loaded to the connecting flight if transit time is less than 2 hours.

:drinks:

According to our travel agency, neither MH or MAHB can guarantee that luggage will be loaded to the connecting flight if transit time is less than 2 hours.

Wow, what a bad system they have then.......all US airports require 55 minutes for transit, and they are way busier than KUL...may be KUL can adapt one or two things from IAH(lol bias)...Yes, I do hv a same story here, when I was flying to KUL from MNL, there are 10 people have onward flight to Dhaka. MH utilize the same aircraft for KUL-Dhaka, apparently the ground staffs were ready to guide them to the waiting hall, and they hv no trouble catching the flight which depart an hour later i think....

Got back from LGK last Friday late afternoon and on Saturday morning off to Penang for a bit of ...

img8473sm7.jpg

Ooops ... sorry, OT, thot this was the pasembur thread. :pardon:

Anyway, here's the latest rendition of MAB's masterplan of KLIA (with 5 runways!), as displayed at their LIMA booth last week. Also note the permanent LCCT. :D

img7585oe9.jpg

img7579yl1.jpg

I think the permanant LCCT will be somewhere next to the new statelite building..those like boxes on the far lower right of the plan. The new phase of satelite buidling has made little modification by combining 2 satelite terminal buidling into one. And when capacity tops, the additional arms (gates) of the building will be built.

Here what i got from MAB Booth@LiMa'07

56833309rp0.jpg

What are the plans for the two buildings on the grounds of the original Subang Terminal 1? Regional maintenance centre or new buildings for commuter aircraft?

Reading this "Historical" thread, makes me chuckles a bit :D .. Of all the skepticism and the surprisingly complex 5-runways initial masterplan :rofl: , look where we end up today..

Reading this "Historical" thread, makes me chuckles a bit :D .. Of all the skepticism and the surprisingly complex 5-runways initial masterplan :rofl: , look where we end up today..

Well fortunately less messy than the grand vision before! Thank goodness! :)

Well fortunately less messy than the grand vision before! Thank goodness! :)

As I understand it, the currently being built KLIA2 is not a component of the "grand vision" - more like a deference to the requirements (=whims and fancies ?) of the current cable pullers

Once this phase cools off, there is nothing to say the grand vision (and accompanying messiness) can/could not be revived :D

As I understand it, the currently being built KLIA2 is not a component of the "grand vision" - more like a deference to the requirements (=whims and fancies ?) of the current cable pullers

Once this phase cools off, there is nothing to say the grand vision (and accompanying messiness) can/could not be revived :D

Haha true, true!!

Then we will see runways that are perpendicular to each other and aircraft flying in all sorts of directions.

"In the near term, as much as 50 acres may be allocated for a commercial business district, free commercial zone for warehousing and logistics, and possibly a theme park... a factory outlet and Haj pilgrimage terminal are (also) slated for completion sometime end-2013 to mid-2014.

"Within the next five years, the area could also include a golf resort and an auto city," he added.

OSK is maintaining a "buy" call on MAHB at RM5.83, with a fair value of RM8.

Apparently MAB didnt totally forgot about their masterplan....

Apparently MAB didnt totally forgot about their masterplan....

By then , not much is left with the original architect's vision and idea "airport within a forest, forest within an airport".

SV,

I suppose you would be the best person to enlighten us on matter - what is the professional ethics involved when architects 'interfere' with the originating design concept (Kurokawa's in KLIA's case) Does he/she have any say or veto rights should someone decide to deviate from original 'masterplan' ? Specifically, if someone is to mess up the initial grand idea and the resulting project ends up an embarrasment to the profession, what recourse would be available to the first architect (bearing in mind professional reputation is so high up at that level) ?

:)

SV,

I suppose you would be the best person to enlighten us on matter - what is the professional ethics involved when architects 'interfere' with the originating design concept (Kurokawa's in KLIA's case) Does he/she have any say or veto rights should someone decide to deviate from original 'masterplan' ? Specifically, if someone is to mess up the initial grand idea and the resulting project ends up an embarrasment to the profession, what recourse would be available to the first architect (bearing in mind professional reputation is so high up at that level) ?

:)

As far as I know, an architect is just a consultant of a project. In this case, Kisho Kurokawa Architects & Associate (KKAA) was hired as a international consultant for KLIA for masterplanning and architectural design. They were the Design Architect of the project. Local Malaysian architects were hired as Project Architects to carry the idea from concept to design development and documentation, as KKAA would not be locally registered or have the authority to ink their signature in Malaysia. Pretty sure KKAA did work with local architects and oversee what their design development and detailing were, so they don't deviate from his design. At the conclusion of the project in the late 90's, I believe KKAA's job ends when the design is finished and local architects' job finish when the have reached practical completion and handed over to the client (have to serve a period of defects liability which is usually 12 months). This is where they relinquish their responsibility, unless the building topples or found to have serious defects.

It is then up to the client, in this case MAB, to decide what they do with the future. Either they work through the masterplan according to KKAA's original version. With a big project like this, Masterplans do change over time and deviate from original ideas, as situation or economy comes into play. For example, when KKAA planned KLIA, LCC is not something they have accounted for. If MAB decided to deviate from the original plan, they may ask KKAA to provide a new masterplan study again. Or if they are unhappy or have strained relationship, they might go for some other architects. The architect who took over will normally ask for drawings from previous architect(s). This is where we architects say hi and then notify the original architect that we are taking over their job. It is a courtesy for the architect who took over to notify of KKAA of what his changes to his original building are (just for his information) and acknowledge his previous work where appropriate (not sure if this is what happens in Malaysia though).

The architect who takes over won't have to stick to the vision of the original architect, pretty much can do what they like. KKAA can't do anything about it, if they dislike the scheme of the architect who took over their job. This is because a contract does not exist between the client and KKAA, as he is not commissioned by the client to do redesign. KKAA can protest to the client, but the client has the ultimate call. Unfortunately, Kisho Kurokawa, as we know it have passed away several years ago. It was rumoured that Kisho Kurokawa was favoured by Dr. M because he was a bit anti-Caucasian/ westerner. Still, I like his scheme very much. Much better than Foster's HKIA.

Hope that makes sense? Just feeling a bit sad that, the work is not properly carried through or the one who is taking over doesn't seemed to know what he is doing or in anyway respect what the original idea of the airport is.

Edited by S V Choong

Sign in to follow this