MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

It looks like the remaining B772s will remain for long-haul only (LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA, LAX), so I hope they refurbish these birds to the same standard as the A380 for product consistency.

It looks like the remaining B772s will remain for long-haul only (LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA, LAX), so I hope they refurbish these birds to the same standard as the A380 for product consistency.

The problem is not too long ago, MH was looking to get rid of them within 3 years time. If they are going to get rid of them (which I think is a bad idea, considering they haven't made a decision to replace these with something more capable) then they won't waste money to do refurbishment on them, only to get rid of the whole fleet 3 years later.

There's one short news item on reuters or bloomberg - One of MH's senior management said that the 380 will now be used on the CDG runs instead of SYD, a re-think due to excess capacity on the SYD route.

There's one short news item on reuters or bloomberg - One of MH's senior management said that the 380 will now be used on the CDG runs instead of SYD, a re-think due to excess capacity on the SYD route.

MH management likewise think there is excess capacity on KUL-DXB.

I highly doubt this!

Aren't they struggling to even get good loads on the CDG route? The B772 would be a more cost-effective aircraft for CDG.

The problem is not too long ago, MH was looking to get rid of them within 3 years time. If they are going to get rid of them (which I think is a bad idea, considering they haven't made a decision to replace these with something more capable) then they won't waste money to do refurbishment on them, only to get rid of the whole fleet 3 years later.

They are essentially replacing the B772 with the A33E for regional and medium-haul routes, so they don't need all those 17 B772s anymore. However, I reckon the remaining (and newer) B772s will be around for at least another 5 years, so it would be well worth it to refurbish them to maintain product consistency across the long-haul fleet.

I highly doubt this!

Aren't they struggling to even get good loads on the CDG route? The B772 would be a more cost-effective aircraft for CDG.

Yes, I too doubt that MH can fill A380s to CDG on a daily basis. Besides, SYD is another oneworld hub whereas CDG belongs to Skyteam.

Yes, I too doubt that MH can fill A380s to CDG on a daily basis. Besides, SYD is another oneworld hub whereas CDG belongs to Skyteam.

Exactly!

Anyway, it would be prudent for MH to go ahead with bringing the A380 to SYD and MEL because there are a lot of QF. passengers who are itching to fly MH to Europe and Asia!

One more thing, SYD, MEL, PEK, NRT are all shorter sectors compared to LHR or CDG. Aircraft utilisation will be higher. Any Europeam destination will need very, very high demand to justify an A380 service!

One more thing, SYD, MEL, PEK, NRT are all shorter sectors compared to LHR or CDG. Aircraft utilisation will be higher. Any Europeam destination will need very, very high demand to justify an A380 service!

The demand is there and definately big. But too bad many of these passengers are either flying via Middle-East or SIN, and some via BKK. Aiks! :p

Can't dismiss the possibilities of moles inside the organisation.

I don't see any problem with that - MH only flies to LAX after all, and only 4x a week.

Besides, it's a 2 way street - AA can feed their SEA bound pax via MH in addition to JL.

That remain to be seen, MH management is known to inclined to 'zero sum' game.

Bro...trust me, demand can be created at a right price. Filling up a daily A380 is never a problem be it CDG, FRA, AMS or even LHR. The only problem is filling up the A380 at the right yield to match the cost. Bear in mind that operating cost for A380 differs greatly between airlines as aircraft operating consist of many variables and direct operating cost.

Duncan Bureau, head of sales.

The story in question is a perfect case of AU protecting QF, plus the reprecussions of releasing D7 on the route.

Doubt MH A380 will be a serious threat to QF, SQ or EK A380 ex-SYD.

MH should just be confident about launching a flight, any fliight.

the A380 is the perfect aircraft to relaunch MH as a serious airline again.

the sydney to london route is the better if not best bet.

routes like CDG etc is just way too OUT THERE to be serious contender.

besides going from 2x daily 747/777 to a A380 is easier to grow than a daily 777 esp on a very secondary route.

Till they get rid of 'questionable' people we'll never know what's in store for sure.

May be these 'questionable' people are talking to AF on deal/pack/code share for Asia and Australia, which blue blood MH can't comprehend.

Wouldn't swapping the SYD plan with CDG require an extra frame if they wanna do it daily? (I'm assuming not much slack in the schedule to allow this kind of thing). If you don't run it daily, then it becomes rather hard to advertise.

It's not as if you can go down to Tesco and pick up an extra A380 and pay for it with a credit card and get some bonuslink points or whatever on the side :p

Wouldn't swapping the SYD plan with CDG require an extra frame if they wanna do it daily? (I'm assuming not much slack in the schedule to allow this kind of thing). If you don't run it daily, then it becomes rather hard to advertise.

It's not as if you can go down to Tesco and pick up an extra A380 and pay for it with a credit card and get some bonuslink points or whatever on the side :p

Given Kingfisher's order now seems to be imminent to cancellation every passing day maybe MH can take a frame or two from that, assuming MH can afford it and make it justifiable in the first place

Saw the MH A380 at klia for the first time ...... The livery is the weakest design of all the A380s I've seen ..... The design doesn't do justice to aircraft ... In fact it made it look stumpy and small.....the kite on tail looks sad and sorry and disconnected from the rest og the aircraft.....why did MH have to blow ths fantastic chance to change ?

I like SQ , AF and LH, even the China Southern design has more presence !

MH , please change the new logo !!!

Saw the MH A380 at klia for the first time ...... The livery is the weakest design of all the A380s I've seen ..... The design doesn't do justice to aircraft ... In fact it made it look stumpy and small.....the kite on tail looks sad and sorry and disconnected from the rest og the aircraft.....why did MH have to blow ths fantastic chance to change ?

I like SQ , AF and LH, even the China Southern design has more presence !

MH , please change the new logo !!!

Personally, this is the best looking livery yet, it's elegant, simple and really modern, and it befits the aircraft. I only wish that this direction could translate to the whole MH team. Lean & agile, and not cumbersome.

Can't say the same about the interior though.

Im with Edwin with this one.. Livery looks nice to me.. China southern colour is boring and same with Lufthansa.. But Thai is a bit nicer compared to MH.. This 'nu skool' colour doesnt fit to everyone I guess..