MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Following other airlines' footstpes in this context means buying A380. Just because SQ and TG bought A380s, doesn't mean MH have to follow suit.

Do you have any prove that MH managememt only bought the A380 for one reason and only one,because SQ and TG bought it?Why did they but 6?Is it because TG ordered 6?

Or maybe the management felt at that point in time that the valid replacement jet for 747 which could be delivered in 2007 was the A380?

Do you think Other airlines like EK and QF also bought the A380 so that they dont get left behind with obsolete fleet and remain competative.?

Edited by jadivindra

Following other airlines' footstpes in this context means buying A380. Just because SQ and TG bought A380s, doesn't mean MH have to follow suit.

What about A33E?

:drinks:

Do you have any prove that MH managememt only bought the A380 for one reason and only one,because SQ and TG bought it?Why did they but 6?Is it because TG ordered 6?

Or maybe the management felt at that point in time that the valid replacement jet for 747 which could be delivered in 2007 was the A380?

Do you think Other airlines like EK and QF also bought the A380 so that they dont get left behind with obsolete fleet and remain competative.?

Did I say that? I think you just blow evertyhing out of context. I only mentioned about MH ordering A380, I didn't mention about EK and QF whatsoever. I hope you can read my post carefully before trying to be smart and make me look like a complete (:), I this website doesn't allow me to write id__ot)

We didn't really know why MH order A380. Or do you? That's purely speculation and what everyone thought. If MH was really desperate to replace their 747, they would have ordered 777-300, which readily available at that time.

Edited by Johan Z

Dewan Rakyat: MAS Not Cancelling A380 Super Jumbo Order, To Receive RM329 Million Compensation

KUALA LUMPUR, June 29 (Bernama) -- MAS will not cancel its order for six A380 super jumbo aircraft from Airbus despite the prolonged delivery delay, the Dewan Rakyat was told Tuesday.

Deputy Minister of Transport Datuk Abdul Rahim Bakri said the national carrier is expected to be paid RM329 million compensation by the aircraft manufacturer.

"At this juncture, MAS has no plans to rescind the order. Airbus is to compensate MAS RM329 million," he said when replying to points raised during the debate on the 10th Malaysia Plan.

Airbus was supposed to deliver the 555-passenger largest civil aircraft in January 2007 but the delivery was postponed to January 2011 following delays in the manufacture of the "Big Bird". The delivery was deferred further to August 2011.

"MAS is expected to receive the aircraft in April 2012," said Abdul Rahim.

Very disappointed with the prolonged delay, MAS was said to be considering revoking its order for the six A380s, the world's first twin-deck and twin-aisle airliner.

Abdul Rahim also said the Malaysia Airports Berhad has upgraded the runway at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at a cost of RM115.5 million to handle the landing and take off of the A380 super jumbo aircraft.

"Currently, only the KLIA has the operational requirements for A380," he added.

What will happen if diversion happens? Will the aircraft get diverted to SIN?

Edited by Johan Z

See! Compensation is what they were looking for!

Believe linking BNE to KUL/SYD play a role in the dwindling numbers.

I think so too. BNE is currently being served daily with B772 but out of these 7 weekly flights, only 2 are non stop, the other 5 are via SYD. This really makes one wonder why BNE cannot support even a daily non stop flight (thus will detach itself from SYD hence making the latter more appealing to business travellers) when SQ at one time served 3 daily non stop flight into BNE. Of course we understand that MH don't have the right aircraft to serve BNE non stop daily, the B772 and A330 are too big and the B734 is simply don't have the range for the mission.

With GA serving CGK/AMS, expect MH load on KUL/AMS to be impaired especially after the arrival of GA 77W. KUL/AMS may not sustain daily A380.

From MAHB 2009 annual report, AMS recorded 356,864 passengers movement, -7.3% from the same in 2008. But the route is shared between MH and KLM, so we can't really tell which airline was effected the most by this 7.3% decline in passengers number.

"@selamanya We are interested in alliances. It is a matter of joining the right one and doing it on terms that makes sense to us."

I sense that AF has been purposely implying nonsense terms to ensure that MH won't be joining SkyTeam.

Word from MASEU...

MASEU: Just Cancel A380 Orders

MASEU talks nonsense.

I agree with you. This reminded me of a news article where MASEU urged the Malaysian government to waive the lease rate of aircrafts leased by MH from PMB so that MH can record a profit in that financial year (2008/9). I just can't believe something so unintellectual like that got passed through the press.

Dewan Rakyat: MAS Not Cancelling A380 Super Jumbo Order, To Receive RM329 Million Compensation

Ok now there has been a debate about this in A.Net. From the sound of the article, it seems that MH will be receiving MYR 329 million in compensation in the future, on top of the USD 100 million compensation which was announced before. But it was disclosed in A.Net that this compensation has already being received and reflected in MH's Q1 2010 accounts, which means this MYR 329 million is the old compensation, which raised a question what is the fuss about it altogether? Will another compensation being announced? I really hate misleading news like this.

KUALA LUMPUR, June 29 (Bernama) -- MAS will not cancel its order for six A380 super jumbo aircraft from Airbus despite the prolonged delivery delay, the Dewan Rakyat was told Tuesday.

Deputy Minister of Transport Datuk Abdul Rahim Bakri said the national carrier is expected to be paid RM329 million compensation by the aircraft manufacturer.

"At this juncture, MAS has no plans to rescind the order. Airbus is to compensate MAS RM329 million," he said when replying to points raised during the debate on the 10th Malaysia Plan.

Airbus was supposed to deliver the 555-passenger largest civil aircraft in January 2007 but the delivery was postponed to January 2011 following delays in the manufacture of the "Big Bird". The delivery was deferred further to August 2011.

"MAS is expected to receive the aircraft in April 2012," said Abdul Rahim.

Very disappointed with the prolonged delay, MAS was said to be considering revoking its order for the six A380s, the world's first twin-deck and twin-aisle airliner.

Abdul Rahim also said the Malaysia Airports Berhad has upgraded the runway at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at a cost of RM115.5 million to handle the landing and take off of the A380 super jumbo aircraft.

"Currently, only the KLIA has the operational requirements for A380," he added.

What will happen if diversion happens? Will the aircraft get diverted to SIN?

I thought KCH is also 380 ready?? BKI too once the runway is ready...

I thought KCH is also 380 ready?? BKI too once the runway is ready...

BKI I think maybe the aircraft can only land but no aerobridge support.

Info from MAHB website.

Re KCH:

The new terminal complex was opened on Monday 16th January 2006 The full work on the terminal completed in April 2006. Consisting of 9 bays (3 bay for B747 & A380 widebody aircraft), and 4 remote bays (for turboprop aircraft). Plus 3 new bays at the General Aviation Apron.

Re BKI:

The airport offers five aerobridges plus three other parking stands and is equipped to handle large aircrafts such as the Boeing 747.

Actually regarding BKI I heard this question being raised during a press conference at the early stage of the new terminal construction. The answer can be taken as a reluctant no i.e. "we will provide the necessary support as and when required". The blue print was based on the classic B747-400 model and I'm not sure if the aerobridge can be raised to the doors on the upperdeck.

On a lighter note, probably they were having a side bet that AK and not MH would operate the first A380, hence the remote bay parking. :p

It is interesting to note that the original airframes allocated to MH are "not built".

MSN 018 (test reggo F-WWSO)

MSN 024 (test reggo F-WWSU)

MSN 032

By deduction, had these been built, MH would have received them. I wonder why the MH (and FedEx F version) airframes are the only ones listed as "not built" amongst the early allocated airliner airframes.

Source: http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/Airbus/A380/index.php

SQ and EK firmed their orders earlier than MH, so they received their frames earlier. Maybe Airbus has allocated frames for MH, but they were late to firm and pay deposits so their allocated frames were not built and Airbus focused on the ones who have paid the money.

Actually regarding BKI I heard this question being raised during a press conference at the early stage of the new terminal construction. The answer can be taken as a reluctant no i.e. "we will provide the necessary support as and when required". The blue print was based on the classic B747-400 model and I'm not sure if the aerobridge can be raised to the doors on the upperdeck.

I guess the best clue will be here, Nazrey's reply #402, pic no.3 from top, top right corner - those exits to roof of 'hammerheads' but leading nowhere currently

If you may, read "necessary support" as 'we will build in the future' - get the picture ? :)

It is interesting to note that the original airframes allocated to MH are "not built".

MSN 018 (test reggo F-WWSO)

MSN 024 (test reggo F-WWSU)

MSN 032

By deduction, had these been built, MH would have received them. I wonder why the MH (and FedEx F version) airframes are the only ones listed as "not built" amongst the early allocated airliner airframes.

Source: http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/Airbus/A380/index.php

I wonder why they allocate serial numbers on unbuilt airframes?

MH's unbuilt MSN 018, MSN 024 and MSN 032 have been replaced with MSN 078, MSN 081 and MSN 084 respectively, all 3 of which have been included in the queue of the A380 production list.

I wonder why they allocate serial numbers on unbuilt airframes?

MSN number is normally assigned when ordering. If MH fulfilled their original obligation, MH would have received A380 last year :pardon:

:drinks:

Together with today's qtrly results announcement, MH's CEO confirmed today that : “We have also completed our discussions with Airbus, and will be taking the

6 A380s. The first will be delivered in April 2012.”

I just hope that the interior will NOT be what they had planned for the original delivery date....but rather, take advantage of teh delay by incorporating what has been made available to the market since then...but knowing MH....difficult to say.

MAS expects first A380 in April 2012 after several delays

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will receive its first Airbus A380 in April 2012, after several delays since it placed an order for six aircraft in 2003.

The airline had said in April that the first aircraft will arrive in the first half of 2012, but confirms today that it expects to receive its first A380 in April 2012.

Airbus has delayed MAS' A380 deliveries three times. They were initially due to start arriving in January 2007, but the first delivery was postponed to January 2011 after delays in the Airbus programme, and then again to August 2011. The airline has received compensation from Airbus for the delays.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/08/16/346188/mas-expects-first-a380-in-april-2012-after-several-delays.html