MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

CDG may be a possibility as their loads there are quite good. I don't know about FRA. They couldn't fill up a daily 772 so unless they step up their marketing and win over more pax - FRA will not get the A380.

Yes, an insider informed me that only 2 MH's European destinations made profits; AMS and CDG. According to the same person, LHR is "barely break even". FRA is rumoured to be axed earlier, BEFORE MH announced that they won't be joining any alliance for the next 5 years (if MH joins Skyteam, FRA is definitely going to get the axe). Unless they can sell their products well or the business between Malaysia and Germany improved, we can see MH leaving FRA in the future.

You're right - MEL probably will be difficult as they have downgraded it. Even SYD has been downgraded as 4 flights continue on to BNE.

Izanee, all 7 flights (MH 140/141) are KUL-SYD-BNE-KUL. Only the 7 weekly MH 122/123 are KUL-SYD-KUL. SYD was downgraded (frequency wise) from '14 weekly non stop on B744 and B772ER' to '7 weekly non stop and 7 via BNE on B744'. BNE on the other hand was upgraded (frequency wise) from 5 weekly non stop on B772ER to 7 weekly via SYD on B744.

Answering the thread, yes, as I posted in many of my earlier replies, the A380s will be sent to LHR, SYD and AMS.

If MH proceed with 8 A380s (as rumoured), perhaps CDG will be getting the A380 as well, considering the profitability of the route and the difficulties in obtaining additional landing rights from the French government.

AMS,LHR,SYD are the most possibly destination that served by A380.

i guess MEL,CDG,HKG,NRT may see A380 too in the future due to pretty good load on those flight.

Anyhow,hope that MH may use its A380 for domestic run as well.For instance,KUL-KCH,KUL-BKI.hehe.

Edited by Yeung H

Hmm How many aircraft actually do you need to run 14 times weekly KUL-LHR?

Just out of the blue... When A380 comes around probably MH reduce frequencies to LHR to 7 times daily... just to fill up the capacity.... hehe...

if A380 comes around..The demise of MH 744 seems certain.

Just out of the blue... When A380 comes around probably MH reduce frequencies to LHR to 7 times daily... just to fill up the capacity.... hehe...

if A380 comes around..The demise of MH 744 seems certain.

Got to need more than 8 A380s for 7 times daily :lol:

AMS,LHR,SYD are the most possibly destination that served by A380.

Anyhow,hope that MH may use its A380 for domestic run as well.For instance,KUL-KCH,KUL-BKI.hehe.

Isn;t those three kinda confirmed? They should introduce A380 to domestic routes, but I bet it's gonna go regional instead eg. SIN, BKK, HKG?

They should introduce A380 to domestic routes, but I bet it's gonna go regional instead eg. SIN, BKK, HKG?
May be promotional trips to domestic and regional destinations is likely, while serving snack box and charging premium price, doubt MH can fill A380 on these routes.
For double daily KUL/LHR service, subject to schedule, you can get away with 3 aircraft.There is no doubt, MH will phase out 744. :drinks:

Guest Michael

Let us hope that the crew will keep their good service up with the purchasing of new aircraft hey.

Let us hope that the crew will keep their good service up with the purchasing of new aircraft hey.

Friendly culture remains with the MH cabin crews regardless of aircraft type.

:drinks:

Wonder if the government has the plan to upgrade PEN, KCH or BKI to handle A380 at the moment

hehe... If got like going on domestic routes.. Then, it's a rare visit for Domestic places...

Wonder if MAS operate A380, how many classes do they have?

Like SIA ones, got suites? Walao! :clapping:

how about kul-sin route :blink:

i transit 2 times at SIN last week and saw the MH's 737 taxi right beside SQ's A380. Like big bird meets small bird. :rofl: I wonder did they assign that lot for MH's 737 on purpose !?! :drinks:

I wonder did they assign that lot for MH's 737 on purpose !?! :drinks:

May be bcuz some of the spaces of other gates taken to upgrade the A380 gate allow only narrow body to use neighboring gates? Perhaps :nea: Saw MH 330 parks beside A380 at SIN on A.net too thou.......

LAX? I really think that LAX will max. get double daily if and only the market is there, but A380 would serve MH better with premier routes ex. LHR/AMS/SYD/AKL....

Edited by Seth K

i transit 2 times at SIN last week and saw the MH's 737 taxi right beside SQ's A380. Like big bird meets small bird. :rofl: I wonder did they assign that lot for MH's 737 on purpose !?! :drinks:

here's a pic i took. too bad no time to take the pic from the other side with the mh 737. i was in a hurry to connect a flight. trust me, there's a mh 737 on the other side... :rofl:

2470641440014013228S200x200Q85.jpg

why jed? they're reducing flights to twice weekly aren't they?

May be during Hajj season? Due to MH small amount of A380, leasing 742's for the season is better. How we put this myth to the rest? Plausible :pardon:

My guess is LHR, AMS, SYD after that perhaps a few of the successful regional routes if there's enough time for it between long-haul runs.

As much as I'd like to see it, I highly doubt MH would send the A380 to AKL as it's only 5pw 772 even during the busy peak season. MH once operated a daily 744 here with but it looks like they couldn't sustain that level of capacity nor first class.

Honestly though do MH really need the A380? I would have thought ~12 77Ws instead would be more appropriate.

Edited by Richard A

Guest Michael

When I come to K.L. in March or April from Perth I will be coming business class, I would like to meet some MW members if it is convenient for anybody.

For SYD route, I'd rather take KUL-SIN-SYD.....on SQ's A380....

MH's A380, could be Japan routes...

I wonder did they assign that lot for MH's 737 on purpose !?! :drinks:

Malaysia Airlines' B734s have been using gate F30 long long before the adjacent gate F31 was made A380-capable. It is one of the two gates closest to the escalator going down into the arrival immigration hall (the other being gate E1) - but nobody seems to be seeing the positive side.

I am quite certain that the folks who planned for F31 to be made A380-capable have not the notion to use the A380 to make a "mine's bigger than yours" statement. There are far bigger concerns in the process - clear access for the 79.5m wingspan and space between gates F30 and E1 for the A380 to be pushed back on departure.

Talking about seeing the positive side of things . . . how about turning the tables on the Singapore Airlines A380? With the Malaysia Airlines B737-400 parked at F30, the thousands of passengers who get to see the A380 parked at F31 can only get photos of it with the MH B734 in the foreground. Based on that, MH should ensure that as one B734 is pushed back, another arrives to take that spot - and be there to ensure that no one gets a clear view of the A380. :rofl:

Better still, send in the hibiscus B744s and heliconia B772 all the time . . . I promise to be around Changi Airport to photograph them arriving all the time, and my other Singapore-based photographers will do likewise. That I am sure.

On a more serious note, I hope that Malaysian aviation enthusiasts do not always perceive a negative feeling across the causeway . . . like it or not, the aviation history of Malaysia and Singapore are inextricably tied to a common past with Malayan Airways, Malaysian Airways and Malaysia-Singapore Airlines. Some MW members seem to bear a chip on the shoulder as a result of this past - but I see a more interesting picture as a result of this (certainly more interesting than if SIA was founded in 1947 as Singapore Airlines and remained so-named today). And like many afflicted with the memorabilia collecting ailment, I collect memorabilia from Malayan Airways to Malaysian Airways, MSA, Malaysian Airline System, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines.

For the aviation history buff in me, the history of Malayan Airways does not stop at the split on 1 October 1972.

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

For SYD route, I'd rather take KUL-SIN-SYD.....on SQ's A380....

MH's A380, could be Japan routes...

was on mh to kix end of last year... flight's not even half filled on Y. biz is almost empty.