MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Heard an inside story that our then PM was pissed with the US VP at the time, Al Gore, and instructed MAS to buy the A380 rather than buying any big aircraft from Boeing.

I doubt it because the A380 order was in 2003 - Al Gore was gone from the political scene by then.

More likely it's due to deep envy & resentment against our neighbours to the south who were going to be the first in the world to fly the A380.

And MH is now pursuing to be first in the world to ditch the A380 from it's fleet :D

SQ let go one of its A380s. But not entire fleet la.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/airbus-a380-superjumbo-double-decker-plane-put-in-storage-singapore-airlines-worlds-biggest-a8053921.html%3famp

And MH is now pursuing to be first in the world to ditch the A380 from it's fleet :D

Damn, still cant't beat SQ ! :D

Anyway, I believe at the time of the order, perhaps MH anticipated strong demand on its Kangaroo Routes which were then taken away by ME3 ?

What a feeble, half hearted attempt :D

Half-hearted indeed

The replacement is already put into use. Same model, just a later built one.

Not for the same reasons as MH, but CZs 380s were also for some time thumb-twiddling as well.

You obviously cared enough to share what you made of the implication.

Regardless, I agree with Ashley's assessment that the "tin can" remark probably refers to the cabin configuration, rather than the physical condition of the aircraft..

what has that got to do with deploying A380 then?? some people just want to argue for the sake of argument obviously....

what has that got to do with deploying A380 then?? some people just want to argue for the sake of argument obviously....

I'm not the one picking a fight with everyone who disagrees with me.

But to answer your question, the "tin can" remark arose from the very topic you accuse me of deviating from: the A380 deployment on the pilgrimage flights.

Oh gosh... will this be another topic that is slated for lock up too? Can moderators please do something about the source of trouble? Thanks.

CZ utilises their A380s on domestic runs as well, between the big three class 1 cities - Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. I really think China needs widebodies on their domestic runs...

SQ is just renewing their fleet, not ditching the entire fleet of A380s. MH is probably the first to get rid of the entire A380 fleet altogether if the sale was successful.

Yes SQ has decided to replace the first 5 whalejets in their fleet. These are non standard builds and are overweight. The latest builds have all the developments and refinements.

Oh gosh... will this be another topic that is slated for lock up too? Can moderators please do something about the source of trouble? Thanks.

Looks like the fights have spilled over here. ☹️

Edited by flee

Looks like the fights have spilled over here. ☹️

Lets move on. Life will be better now onwards.

We should steer the conversation back on track, and move on from your flawed interpretation of the "tin can" remark.

Edited by Hon Kit
Partly inappropriate

I am still struggling to understand the term "tin can" aircraft. Regardless of brand planes are anything but "tin can". Different interior configuration maybe but same frame/structure.

Perhaps what he meant was packed like "sardine"?

Lets not get too bogged down to the term.

The CEO does not want people to think that by squeezing 700 people inside the a380 that people will think that it is a tin can, akin to cattle class. Therefore he justifies of having business class and first class. Thats all.

You know what? Maybe he meant "Sardine Can" which would make better sense as to what Azri M. just mentioned.

Yup, go back to basics when things get muddled - "misquoted by the press" :D

CZ utilises their A380s on domestic runs as well, between the big three class 1 cities - Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. I really think China needs widebodies on their domestic runs...

Makes one wonder why neither manufacturer have been moved thus far to develop a short range version of their respective big mamas for the Chinese like what Boeing previously did with the 747SR and 747-400D for the Japanese market ?

Maybe A380SR or 747-8D to move the masses en masse​ between the more congested airports ? :)

I did a quick check. The A380 can fit 868 seats in one class configuration. Recommended "comfortable 3 class" configuration at 544 passengers. SQ has the least seat at 379 while EK packed 615 into theirs. Not sure if the number have changed, but 700 might be doable? Maybe Cebu Pacific can try. :D

Lets move on. Life will be better now onwards.

Thanks Hon Kit! :hi:

All contemporary airliners since the 1960s are literally tin cans, except for the 787s, made of composites :)

Can the A380-800 fit 700+, I read somewhere that the max was around 550 pax?

Edited by S V Choong

Makes one wonder why neither manufacturer have been moved thus far to develop a short range version of their respective big mamas for the Chinese like what Boeing previously did with the 747SR and 747-400D for the Japanese market ?

Maybe A380SR or 747-8D to move the masses en masse​ between the more congested airports ? :)

Thats because the Japanese airlines did not order the 747-8D.... hence a non-starter. What actually replaced the 747-400D in Japan? 777-300 is getting a bit too old and 777-300ER is a bit too heavy and wasteful right?

Thanks Hon Kit! :hi:

All contemporary airliners since the 1960s are literally tin cans, except for the 787s, made of composites :)

Can the A380-800 fit 700+, I read somewhere that the max was around 550 pax?

555 in 3 class configuration.. 700 is possible as single class. And with Airbus offering A380plus with seat config. of 11 abreast across, it can be higher...maybe shy of 1000?