MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

MAS should have bought the 787 or A350 when they had the chance... Leasing some might be an option if there are any lying about (unlikely!)

Assuming the Dugongs and four 772ERs are sold off and leave the fleet, will there be enough metal left to still maintain all the destinations now served ? Although it may be with reduced frequencies for some stations ?

It seem to me there are frequently many MH birds resting unproductively at KUL, maybe time to work the hardware a bit more ?

And maybe this to buy time whilst they finalize on how to get hold of some of the souped up A330s that the red competitor believe will allow them to go the distance more competitively ?

Speculations ! :)

Without the A380, are they going to use the 772 to London? Looks like with the old aircraft and ancient IFE, MAS will have to compete on low fares

MAS is a great airline to fly. Great crew, well trained, safe, dedicated. Whether it is managed well, remains to be seen.

Anyhow here is my 2sen.

a) We need to rid ourselves of the guzzlers. We may have gotten over our heads with the A380. Lovely plane but can we run the route profitably?

B) We have not ordered new equipment (777-300ER, 777X, 787-9, A350) & thus there are no slots available for a few years.

Available option : Lease if there are any......& with airlines clamoring for fuel savers, lease price will be the issue

c) Fuel is currently relatively cheap. We need to use this to test new markets. Act as a feeder between Asia & Europe.

Please don't let MAS be a domestic airline & or just a ticketing agent (OneWorld)

PS: MAS also has excess 6000 head count. Yes, in most organizations, it is normal to act to reduce headcount but in certain cases reducing headcount can be costly (legal disputes, VSS etc).

Many organizations also tend to regret the reduction because majority of the headcount to go will be the senior high salary staff. MAS will lose this experience.

Use this extra manpower to test new routes.

d) If we keep the 777-200ER for LHR, CDG etc, it needs a major upgrade.

We should use the 4 for sale to rotate through the fleet for this upgrade.

Seats, IFE etc. Flew the A380 to London. Did not sleep a wink, did not read either, the IFE kept me entertained throughout the flight. Didn't realize time flying by.

Where as when I used the 747-400 (lovely aircraft, hate to see it go) to LAX, I was itching to get off.

We asked our OneWorld partner such as Japan Airlines to fly the US route for us, hopefully we don't give the LHR route to British Airways.

AirAsia X impending re entry into the UK (profitability for a low cost airline on a >8hr route?) will also add pressure on MAS' LHR route.

Just to add to my earlier post.....it is not entirely MAS' fault. The image/attraction of this country also plays a big role. Difficult for MAS is people would rather go to Singapore & Thailand.

Just to add to my earlier post.....it is not entirely MAS' fault. The image/attraction of this country also plays a big role. Difficult for MAS is people would rather go to Singapore & Thailand.

I agree with this

With Airbus having difficulty trying to sell the two built up Skymark frames, what hope has MH got in the A380 market?

If MH finds itself with no lease or sale takers for their A380s, it could consider ripping out the first class and reconfigure the lower deck for high density seating.

As D7 is still trying to get hold of aircraft that are capable of flying to Europe non-stop, they can then lease the lower deck to them. Meanwhile, they retain a reconfigured upper deck for MH passengers.

They could also get rid of that A380 livery and paint a new MH newco livery on the port side while D7's livery can appear on the starboard side! ;)

Edited by flee

That is one very dirty plane.. Is it really that expensive to have it cleaned? It reflects poorly on the airline. Hope the new ceo will have better senses.

With Airbus having difficulty trying to sell the two built up Skymark frames, what hope has MH got in the A380 market?

If MH finds itself with no lease or sale takers for their A380s, it could consider ripping out the first class and reconfigure the lower deck for high density seating.

As D7 is still trying to get hold of aircraft that are capable of flying to Europe non-stop, they can then lease the lower deck to them. Meanwhile, they retain a reconfigured upper deck for MH passengers.

They could also get rid of that A380 livery and paint a new MH newco livery on the port side while D7's livery can appear on the starboard side! ;)

Quite a good idea, but only if they can work together :)

Perhaps this idea works on QF/JQ arrangement!

i have tickets booked to go to paris this coming july as well as in october. should the 380s are sold, would i be flying the 777 (ugh!!) or mh will cancel and refund the tickets bought? i am aware that noone knows but maybe you guys can speculate what's going to happen should all the 380s are sold. thank you!

Our gomen (PMB, Turus Pesawat etc) seems to be lucky with the Arabs (past MH 744s went to Saudia, Al Wafeer, Fly Nas, Iraqi Airways etc).

I hope they can do the same with these 6 frames. Should be a hit during a hajj season.

Or Kazakhstan perhaps?

Is there a plan for an A380 passenger-to-freighter conversion program at Airbus?

Or can the A380 be converted to a Beluga Neo?

No concrete plan on sale or lease of aircraft, says new MAS chief

Recent speculation that Malaysia Airlines was offering some of its fleet for sale or lease was premature talk, the airline's new head Christoph Mueller said.
In a statement released today, Mueller said that one of the areas being looked at by the airline was exploring fleet options to enhance viability of long haul sector.
"MAS needs to operate and utilise its fleet at an optimum level besides maximising revenue on the route it flies.
"The market needs to give Malaysia Airlines room to explore various options in determining the most viable strategy,” Mueller said.

Also see: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v8/bu/newsbusiness.php?id=1131776

finally.. Welcome MH A350!!

1. MH will used A350 for KUL-LHR-KUL very soon

2. CDG sector will be downgrade to B777

How MH can get the plane (A350) in a short time?

Read this http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pressreleases/press-release-detail/detail/airbus-and-emirates-airline-agree-to-cancel-a350-xwb-order/

Edited by M. Sofian H.

If, and it's a big if, MH considers an A350 order.. I think they will be looking at D7's slots. Tony said recently that they will concentrate fully on the new A330's.

finally.. Welcome MH A350!!

1. MH will used A350 for KUL-LHR-KUL very soon

2. CDG sector will be downgrade to B777

How MH can get the plane (A350) in a short time?

Read this http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pressreleases/press-release-detail/detail/airbus-and-emirates-airline-agree-to-cancel-a350-xwb-order/

If the highest authority RM says yes to the purchase.

If, and it's a big if, MH considers an A350 order.. I think they will be looking at D7's slots. Tony said recently that they will concentrate fully on the new A330's.

Been hearing this rumour since 2013 & it has not come to fruition as of yet.

I wonder if Airbus is willing to accept trade-ins?