MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I just flew KUL-MEL 2 days ago, taking the 1145pm flight on 777. It was full and not a single empty seat in Y class (maybe due to student's movement and after CNY load). To be fair, cost cutting measures were in place (expecially in the second meal served - just a cold sandwich, etc). But overall, I still think it is a decent product on a 777, despite it's age. Of course the IFE screen is dated, but I think I rather have 9-abreast seating and 34inch pitch in MH's 777 than EK's 10 abreast! I must say MH's 777 still offer the best in terms of seat comfort. I think the crew on this flight were rather great - friendly, warm, and helpful. I got all the extra packs of peanuts :)

If only MH could bring back the menu (if not printed, at least make it availble through the IFE), towels, more drink rounds, and pre-dinner/main meal drinks - that would put them back on par with others.

I am still not too impressed with EK - I just think it's a lot of hype in their marketing that perhaps creates the "perception" that it offers really "great" service.

I agree with the pros and cons you mentioned about MH and EK. I would choose MH anytime over EK. The seat comfort on their B777 and the A388 are so much more spacious than that of EK. In addition to that, the crew on EK are very very superficial and although in recent years the morale of the MH crew have been on the low thanks to the mess and the recent tragedies, I still feel they deserve a thumbs up for their services onboard, especially in Economy Class. However, I also noted that the service standards on MH are inconsistent and this is similar to many airlines today. There is little passion in carrying out their duties as a cabin crew, what more when they are faced with the realities. I do hope that they refurbish their B777 till they find a replacement and have it standardized with their A380 product, hopefully also maintain the seat pitch. Their B738 and A333 product is in need of a revamp.

On the topic of discussion itself, it would be nice to see MH utilizing the A380 to a medium haul destination such as NRT, MEL, AKL or even to TPE (to cater to the influx of passengers on their code share with China Airlines, hopefully) Perhaps, they can drive the market towards filling up seats on the kangaroo or even on the trans-pacific routes by using the A380 on these routes. Maybe, just maybe?

:aggressive: :aggressive: :aggressive:

Those A380s are delicate beasts, even 3 years on since the first plane arrived back in 2012. I shudder to think the knock on effect of one tech issue on the entire schedule if it was worked hard.

Airbus has modified the doors that caused depressurisation - are all of MH's fleet fixed yet?

I am planning to go to London and still considering to choose whether EK or MH..this is because EK offer great deal which cost about RM2400 return

At that price for me it's a no brainer. EK

I am planning to go to London and still considering to choose whether EK or MH..this is because EK offer great deal which cost about RM2400 return

Price wise, yes EK is a bargain. But if you want to get to London quicker, then MH's much better obviously.

If you do not want to spend time transiting at the busy Dubai airport street at a very odd time, then go for MH to get in much quicker to London.

To be honest, QR will be a better choice as compared to EK

Better go with MH since it is a non-stop flight. I went to London via Dubai last January (EK347 & EK007). We were forced to switch planes in Dubai due to an unavoidable technical delay. A 4.5 hour transit had become 10 hours. Very tiring since it happened after 3.00AM.

Beside ek, qr and ey are good alternative and cheaper than mh. Personally don't mind to spend a few hours more on journey, money saved could use for shopping and better food, which are more satisfying.

Edited by KK Lee

Malaysian passport holder can get a free visa on arrival to enter the UAE for up to 30 days. And DXB is connected with the Dubai Metro. The metro station is just outside the terminal with escalator direct to the station from the landside area of the terminal. Everything (Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, Dubai Marina etc) is within reach. Enjoy!

Meaning that we can go around Dubai during the layover time?

As explained by Azizul, yes you can. 14 hours is a plenty of time.

You can't really win it all. I certainly wouldn't mind a few stops on the way if on holiday. KUL-CGK-AMS-LGW sounds just fine to me.

Adik, when you check in for your flight in KLIA, they will give you 2 boarding passes. 1 for KL-Dubai, the other one for Dubai-your final destination.

When you arrived in Dubai, go to immigration as if you are cheking out but without your checked-in luggage. If the jawazat at Immigration asks for your purpose to go out to Dubai, tell them that you are on transit and would like to go sightseeing to see the city. Show him the second boarding pass if required. Since you won't have access to your checked in luggage (because it is checked in all through to your final destination), make sure you have everything that you need during the long layover in your hand/cabin luggage.

Then go enjoy yourself, make sure to allocate enough time to return back to the airport. The Dubai Metro does not operate past midnight, so if your second leg is past midnight, plan your journey carefully, otherwise you might need to ride a cab, which is expensive when compared to the Metro.

After enjoying your sightseeing and arrive back at the airport, do not check in because you have checked in at KLIA and have received the boarding pass. Go straight to Immigration. And then just proceed to security check and find your boarding gate. Easy peasy.

I thought we only able to be in the airport..lol

since you are planning to transit for 14 hours, do also check the shower facility at the airport (if you want to stay refreshed). There is one above the EK Premium lounge at T3 Concourse A - though it will cost you around Dh50. A private shower room is provided, as well as towels and amenity kits (which is great since you can't really bring in liquids into the flight).

Errr, this is truly off-topic...

How about transit in US? U need to apply for 1 in Malaysia before flying off?

How about transit in US? U need to apply for 1 in Malaysia before flying off?

You'll need a visa for transit even if you don't intend to step out of the airport! Nobody would in their right mind fly through US unless if you have to, like Air France pax flying Paris-Los Angeles-Papeete.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

The same for Canada I believe...e.g. CX had the flight to NYC that stopped at Vancouver. One needs to get a Canadian transit visa even if one's destination is New York.

Adik, when you check in for your flight in KLIA, they will give you 2 boarding passes. 1 for KL-Dubai, the other one for Dubai-your final destination.

When you arrived in Dubai, go to immigration as if you are cheking out but without your checked-in luggage. If the jawazat at Immigration asks for your purpose to go out to Dubai, tell them that you are on transit and would like to go sightseeing to see the city. Show him the second boarding pass if required. Since you won't have access to your checked in luggage (because it is checked in all through to your final destination), make sure you have everything that you need during the long layover in your hand/cabin luggage.

Then go enjoy yourself, make sure to allocate enough time to return back to the airport. The Dubai Metro does not operate past midnight, so if your second leg is past midnight, plan your journey carefully, otherwise you might need to ride a cab, which is expensive when compared to the Metro.

After enjoying your sightseeing and arrive back at the airport, do not check in because you have checked in at KLIA and have received the boarding pass. Go straight to Immigration. And then just proceed to security check and find your boarding gate. Easy peasy.

thanks abang..lol

such a good and detail explanation

Yup. I once had a 9 hour transit at DXB 12am-9am (worst timing possible to do touristy stuff). I went out and booked a hotel room from one of the counters. A quick taxi to the hotel and slept until 6am. 730am returned back to airport. Indeed I was the freshest among the other tired and weary transit passengers!

Which of MH's routes now warrant deploying the A380?

Maybe KUL-BKI-KUL?! :rofl: Probably seasonal for the CNY/Raya balik kampung festive periods?

Maybe KUL-BKI-KUL?! :rofl: Probably seasonal for the CNY/Raya balik kampung festive periods?

Cheers bro!