MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Rumor has it that MAS might re-deploy the A380 somewhere else this winter. However, nothing is certained yet at this moment ...... :nea:

:hi:

My bet will be NRT on the MH 88/89 run (which can fit in based on the current schedule - a little tight, definitely doable with 6 A380s serving LHR, CDG, HKG and NRT).

Obviously if MH were to introduce the A380 to SYD one current A380 destination will have to be downgraded. There should be a proper winding down to ensure that existing pax are not shortchanged.

Unless MH get more Dugongs, but that will take time.

Ok, should any one of the existing A380 services is to be sacrificed to make way for SYD, I think the candidate should be like this, in order:

• MH72/73 (I recall some forum members said that MH can do 2 daily LHR, 1 daily CDG and 1 daily SYD with 6 A380s).
  • Any one of the LHR flight. However, there is no replacement aircraft with comparable product. Passengers on the downgauge aircraft will be upset if they are getting the old 772.
  • I don't think CDG will get downgraded at all. Too much impact on the image.

From everyone said MH does not need the A380 at all, now we are in a limbo for having not enough A380 to fulfill our needs. If MH is to order additional A380s, I think 2 more frames should be sufficient.

Loads to LHR and CDG are pretty healthy so the A380s will continue to fly to those 2 destinations. Really, HKG doesn't need the A380 and it should be brought to SYD. MH will really get a lot of business on the kangaroo route if they can offer an A380 service all the way between SYD and LHR (and SYD and CDG too).

We may only see changes after all the six dugongs have their permanent wing crack fixes completed. Yes, based on the current trend of increased pax loads, there is some justification to order two or more of these. I wonder if Airbus still has any 2015 delivery slots open...

We may only see changes after all the six dugongs have their permanent wing crack fixes completed. Yes, based on the current trend of increased pax loads, there is some justification to order two or more of these. I wonder if Airbus still has any 2015 delivery slots open...

Doric Leasing stated that the A380 they ordered are targeted to be placed with existing operators - and their delivery slots are for 2015. Perhaps the additional Dugongs may come from this pool?

I really do believe that it would be a good idea for MH to order 2 more A380s. Offering an alternative to QF/EK for OneWorld passengers would make good business sense.

Unfortunately, FRA is not MH's strong forte, especially with TG and SQ having a stronger presence. I think 2 or 3 more will be enough for SYD, MEL and NRT.

OMG! MH does not need 6 or 7 more A380s!! They only need 2 more. The only other possible destination is AMS but I don't really know what the premium passenger loads are like on the KUL-AMS route but it seems the leisure traffic is pretty strong but in order to make the A380 profitable, they need to be able to fill the J cabin like they're doing on the LHR and CDG routes. FRA is predominantly leisure traffic, so MH should focus on filling the B772.

Since Oneworld,there's hardly empty seat on MH 772,even with the outdated interior.. So the procurement of new dugong totally make sense,business wise

Unfortunately, FRA is not MH's strong forte, especially with TG and SQ having a stronger presence. I think 2 or 3 more will be enough for SYD, MEL and NRT.

that is the point, FRA has never been a strong route for MH, but look what A380 can done, from my short observation its been a healthy load. with the aging 777 (that soon going to be retired) plying AMS and FRA makes MH less attractive to pax. MH has no choice but replace the 777 to A380. its too late to order 787 or A350 now

here's my prediction :

2 daily A380 to LHR

1 daily A380 to CDG

1 daily A380 to AMS

1 daily A380 to FRA

2 daily A380 to SYD

2 daily A380 to MEL

other's possibilities :

1 daily A380 to NRT

1 daily A380 to LAX

so that's why i think MH need 6-7 more A380

Edited by fenandri

I think MH can support 1 daily A380 service to SYD and 1 to MEL. The only way the FRA route can support the A380 is if MH can capture the business traffic that was lost when QF dropped that route and offer good connections and prices that can sway people away from EK. I don't see it as an easy task. The A380 to LAX is a definite no unless there are codeshare agreements with AA and the service is a daily one which goes through NRT. I really don't see this happening.

I think A380 for HKG is not suitable. Last month flew with her KUL - HKG , load was abt 40% or less. Too big aircraft for such a low load and short distance. Wonder the return load is able to cover it or the load is much better the other days? Anyway, thanks to that gave me a chance to fly with dugong for the first time. Noticed the noise when they operating the flaps.

New from the MH Rumour Department:

Smalam MH21 terbang tak top up air. Hahahaha. Baru suku perjalanan air dah abis dlm jamban. Hahahaha hahahahaha.

I wonder if they could use the drinking water.