MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

"I think 6 is sufficient for what we are doing right now" -AJ

Well that answers everything..

I think that means that MH is going to consolidate its A380 operations on the three routes for now. If there is expansion in the future, they may order more aircraft.

A380 order book is thinning and if you order now, deliveries should take about about three years. It took SQ 5 years before they made a repeat order.

web.jpg

A380 order book is thinning and if you order now, deliveries should take about about three years. It took SQ 5 years before they made a repeat order.

I think it was considerably more than 5 years between the time MH took on those 747-236's and when they ordered that singular 747-3H6 :)

But then I suppose the airline itself was a different creature back then :D

If you are flying economy, LH's A380s are very cramped.

Then don't fly Lufthansa if you think it is cramp.

I have flown both SQ and EK A388, nothing I would complain about.

If you are flying economy, LH's A380s are very cramped.

MAS' Economy on the 388 is indeed supposed to be more comfortable than LH' 388. MAS one has wider seat width and it also comes with 32" of seat pitch instead of 31" (LH). I understand MAS is using Thales system on its 388. It'd be interesting to see how it fares compared to its Panasonic eX system installed on the 738 and 333.

Then don't fly Lufthansa if you think it is cramp.

I have flown both SQ and EK A388, nothing I would complain about.

I have done Y on the SQ A380. It was one of the most uncomfortable experiences ever. Never again.

I have done Y on the SQ A380. It was one of the most uncomfortable experiences ever. Never again.

Believe you are a regular J class traveller, cramping in cattle class is naturally a suffering and uncomfortable. How about comparing SQ A380 J class with MH, SQ Y class with upcoming NZ and VA?

Edited by KK Lee

Nitpicking? I'd imagine you will have a lot of hard time travelling on any other airlines then, if that was not acceptable to your standard.

So is MH much more acceptable in their Y in this case?

Edited by S V Choong

Believe you are a regular J class traveller, cramping in cattle class is naturally a suffering and uncomfortable. How about comparing SQ A380 J class with MH, SQ Y class with upcoming NZ and VA?

I only started flying in J regularly from about mid 2010. Up to that point, I mainly flew in Y. I did the SQ A380 in Y in 2009 and it was much less comfortable compared to their Y on the B744 and also on MH's Y on the B744 and B772. I haven't tried the new MH Y on the A333 or A380.

Nitpicking? I'd imagine you will have a lot of hard time travelling on any other airlines then, if that was not acceptable to your standard.

So is MH much more acceptable in their Y in this case?

The seat was hard and I really hated the slide design, as it does not provide any lumbar support. I last did long-haul Y on MH a year ago (on their B744)and it was far more comfortable than my experience on SQ's Y on the A380.

I'd have to agree that the SQ "new" YCL seats are rock hard compared to their "old" YCL seats on the 772 / 744. I had to bring my own cushion to make my flight comfortable. Looking forward to checking out the MH A380 YCL next month.

I'd have to agree that the SQ "new" YCL seats are rock hard compared to their "old" YCL seats on the 772 / 744. I had to bring my own cushion to make my flight comfortable. Looking forward to checking out the MH A380 YCL next month.

New slim line seat has less padding than older stuffed seat, one has to move or shift body weight more often to be comfortable.

The limit for the bilateral agreement between Austtralia and Malaysia has been reached with the current services and this includes MEL, BNE and PER.

Funny though - this morning I checked the Airasia sale and they will offer double daily to SYD next year. If the limits have been reached now, how come they can still operate a second flight?

web.png

Funny though - this morning I checked the Airasia sale and they will offer double daily to SYD next year. If the limits have been reached now, how come they can still operate a second flight?

web.png

It's because they introduced double daily - I think they hoarded the slots.

It's because they introduced double daily - I think they hoarded the slots.

I am puzzled because they are only showing daily flights for this year - have they flown double daily to SYD during summer peak season?

web.png

Finally the A380 F class reports are coming out here is one that has been posted today that I stumbled across

http://milevalue.com/spring-break-2013-malaysia-airlines-a380-first-class-from-paris-to-kuala-lumpur/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=spring-break-2013-malaysia-airlines-a380-first-class-from-paris-to-kuala-lumpur

not sure if you have seen this one already

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2013/03/31/oneworld-welcome-malaysia-airlines-first-class-kuala-lumpur-to-london/

It seems the seats are much bigger than seen on photos

Edited by Tan Hao Ming

They're very much par for the course, photos or not. The closest analog in size to me is KE A380 F. They feel very close to each other in size.

From the trip report

Terminal four is sort of the SkyTeam and “reject” terminal at Heathrow (I know what you’re thinking, and I agree, I just won’t say it. icon_wink.gif

Which terminal in LHR caters to OneWorld? MH is at T4, AA is at terminal 3 but BA is at T5 what about the other OneWorld members that come to LHR?

Considering BA is a major airline in OW shouldn't all OW airlines be in one terminal for better connectivity

From the trip report

Which terminal in LHR caters to OneWorld? MH is at T4, AA is at terminal 3 but BA is at T5 what about the other OneWorld members that come to LHR?

Considering BA is a major airline in OW shouldn't all OW airlines be in one terminal for better connectivity

T5 may be big, but it won't fit all OW airlines under the terminal; at least not without significant expansion.

MH moved from T3 to T4 a while ago when BAA reorganises the airlines' terminal according to alliances, and also back then everyone was expecting MH to join ST. Maybe they should've waited a bit...

From the trip report

Just like SIN. Star Alliance is in T1, T2, T3. OneWorld is in T1, T2, Skyteam is in T1, T2, and T3. Rojak.

That would be on top of the 2 trip reports in F that were posted in Flyertalk, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1451937-malaysia-airlines-mh-f-a380-welcome-oneworld.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1452277-mh-first-class-lhr-kul-a380.html

One more MH A380 F trip report is expected to surface in SQTalk soon (by Guybetsy).

From the trip report

Iberia is assigned at T5. IB is part of the IAG Group, the parent company of BA. From my understanding, T5 is exclusively for BA (and IB) but not the other oneworld airlines.

Heathrow T2 is currently ongoing massive reconstruction. Upon completion, it will be a dedicated terminal for Star Alliance.

Heathrow T4 has been designated to Skyteam Alliance and all other non alligned airlines, whose category MH fall into before joining oneworld.

T5 may be big, but it won't fit all OW airlines under the terminal; at least not without significant expansion.

MH moved from T3 to T4 a while ago when BAA reorganises the airlines' terminal according to alliances, and also back then everyone was expecting MH to join ST. Maybe they should've waited a bit...

MH moved to T4 from T3 in 2008 and had invested a lot there especially to the brand new Golden Lounge. Indeed it is now a problem for connectivity since MH is the sole oneworld airline in T4 and T4 is so much further away located from T1, T2 and T3 which are all inter connected. MH recently signed a comprehensive code share agreement with AA. http://airlineroute.net/2013/03/14/mhaa-codeshare-s13/

Imagine what the passengers from Chicago, Dallas, Miami, New York and Raleigh would endure just to connect from their AA flights at T3 to their MH flights at T4.

I did not find it a problem connecting from T4 to T3 or T5. All the terminals in LHR are linked pretty well, IMO.

Qatar is at T4. Connecting to T3 takes less than 10 minutes by tube.

But it will be somewhat more painful to transfer from T1/3 to T4... you will need to do that via Hatton Cross.