MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Retired oredi. Tak larat to bring DSLR on plane. :p

I don't mind carrying the DSLR for u if u can pay for my air ticket .... heck I even carry ur bags just to fly in premium class :rolleyes:

I don't mind carrying the DSLR for u if u can pay for my air ticket .... heck I even carry ur bags just to fly in premium class :rolleyes:

My bags maybe might look a bit weird on you leh..... :o

Raymund,

Get in the line :p

Suzanne,

Before you ditch the camera, MH First trip report pls.

Retired oredi. Tak larat to bring DSLR on plane. :p

There's always mirrorless / EVIL cameras.

Edited by Radzi

MH should be receiving its 6th and final A380, 9M-MNF (the 100th A380 delivered by Airbus) before the end of March. I suppose that will enable the fleet to then operate the HKG service even when one of the fleet is in maintenance or to have its wings fixed.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airlines-brings-airbus-a380-to-paris-hong-kong

AJ mentioned during the press conference held for the airline's financial results, the 1st flight to HKG is now on the 1st April 2013.

I wonder whether this is a good business sense or otherwise. Historically, MAS could not even fill up its daily service on B772/A333 (MH72/73) + B738 (MH78/79) and now flooding the market with an extra 200 seats each way at higher operating cost.

MAS also is not sensitive with market demand on this route (fixed hardware) whereas CX is very proactive by switching the hardware everytime the market surges. Last Xmas/New Year and CNY were good examples.

I do not have a statistical data to substantiate my statement but visual and oral observations keep me wondering why the sales people in MAS could not sell the seats compare to CX.

:hi:

Edited by Lock SH

I wonder whether this is a good business sense or otherwise. Historically, MAS could not even fill up its daily service on B772/A333 (MH72/73) + B738 (MH78/79) and now flooding the market with an extra 200 seats each way at higher operating cost.

MAS also is not sensitive with market demand on this route (fixed hardware) whereas CX is very proactive by switching the hardware everytime the market surges. Last Xmas/New Year and CNY were good examples.

I do not have a statistical data to substantiate my statement but visual and oral observations keep me wondering why the sales people in MAS could not sell the seats compare to CX.

Yes, it may sound illogical but I think that MH may be right to try this.

The A380 is a passenger magnet and MH has already reported a surge in forward bookings for their KUL-CDG services. The same thing may happen on the KUL-HKG route, provided that this receives wide publicity.

I am now beginning to understand why MH did not deploy the A380 on KUL-SYD. They may want their A380 routes to be game changers. LHR-SYD is already flown by A380s and MH will just be another airline flying into SYD from LHR. By putting the A380 on the KUL-HKG route, MH is now trying to challenge CX. Lets see if this will work out...

Booking engine still shows A333 for MH 72/73 KUL-HKG. :help:

My bags maybe might look a bit weird on you leh..... :o

Its OK....I can dress accordingly to suit the situation and enviroment in order to blend in well :)

Yes, it may sound illogical but I think that MH may be right to try this.

The A380 is a passenger magnet and MH has already reported a surge in forward bookings for their KUL-CDG services. The same thing may happen on the KUL-HKG route, provided that this receives wide publicity.

I am now beginning to understand why MH did not deploy the A380 on KUL-SYD. They may want their A380 routes to be game changers. LHR-SYD is already flown by A380s and MH will just be another airline flying into SYD from LHR. By putting the A380 on the KUL-HKG route, MH is now trying to challenge CX. Lets see if this will work out...

By the same argument, does it means MH is giving up on KUL-SYD?

MH can't bring the A380 to SYD even if they want to because the capacity cap has been reached with D7 now flying to SYD and MH is not going to give up a 2nd daily flight just so that they can fly the A380 there.

MH can't bring the A380 to SYD even if they want to because the capacity cap has been reached with D7 now flying to SYD and MH is not going to give up a 2nd daily flight just so that they can fly the A380 there.

But not MEL right? Is the capacity reached max from Malaysian carriers or just in general? Wow, so even if QF wanted to get their ass from SYD to KUL, they can't too then?

CX carries many connecting as well as O&D passengers. I guess this is why CX has always had and will always has the upper hand. And some CX promotions to North Asia and Americas are unbelievably cheap, the kind of promotional fares that were never matched by MAS or any other carriers flying directly to the Malaysian capital from North Asia.

For instance, CX had a promotion just two months ago to a few cities in China for less than RM1,000 all-in. That's really cheap for a full-service carrier. And the HKG hub is always very pleasant to transit in :good:

By putting the A380 on the KUL-HKG route, MH is now trying to challenge CX. Lets see if this will work out...

May not pose too big a threat to CX though. Just like SIA's once daily 388 service between the two mega financial hubs.

For instance, CX had a promotion just two months ago to a few cities in China for less than RM1,000 all-in. That's really cheap for a full-service carrier. And the HKG hub is always very pleasant to transit in :good:

............. and yet they still make heaps of money ............ I wonder how .........

............. and yet they still make heaps of money ............ I wonder how .........

Because they are a properly run airline, and also because CX doesn't any any contract that forces them to give a guaranteed profit to the catering company preparing the inflight meals anywhere in the world :D

But not MEL right? Is the capacity reached max from Malaysian carriers or just in general? Wow, so even if QF wanted to get their ass from SYD to KUL, they can't too then?

The limit for the bilateral agreement between Austtralia and Malaysia has been reached with the current services and this includes MEL, BNE and PER.

I think it is time the authorities looked into a revised bilateral. Best to go for open skies... :)

The limit for the bilateral agreement between Austtralia and Malaysia has been reached with the current services and this includes MEL, BNE and PER.

I believe only the Malaysian share is used up

The Australian portion is obviously untouched :)

QF, JQ, VA and whoever (at least 51% Australian owned carriers only) wants to fly Australia-Malaysia can still fly it, because no Australian carrier is using the rights allocated to Australian carriers. But on the Malaysian side, D7 & MH have already used up (or will be) all that is allowed for Malaysian carriers for the following ports; MEL, SYD, PER & BNE. Current MH & D7 destinations such as ADL & OOL, fall into the "regional" category and are not affected by the agreements, MH & D7 can practically fly as many times as they want there.

I don't know where EK falls into, they fly MEL-KUL with full local traffic rights.

Wonder if MH can 'codeshare' with QF using QF's allocated seats with MH's metal ?

For QF - codeshare flights are not counted as part of the capacity count as stated in the Register of Available Capacity. Don't know if it's the same if MH were to codeshare on QF metal.

Any ways, the Register is a good read. Thanks to the person who gave the link here, I forgot who it was!

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/international/files/register_available_capacity_230113.pdf