MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I think the A380's are not on MAHB's books anyway, no?

Not on the balance sheet but they have lease payments to pay every month, a P&L item.

I think the A380's are not on MAHB's books anyway, no?

Would be very weirdly fishy if the 380s end up in the airport operator's books :)

Payment in kind for accumulated airport charges ?! :D

Would be very weirdly fishy if the 380s end up in the airport operator's books :)

Well spotted BC, I missed that! I am sure Jani had meant MAB but he has MAHB so programmed in his system that it just comes out automatically! ;)

I tend to agree on this - I am not sure why KUL-SYD/MEL are not A380 routes if there is sufficient pax for those services. Also PB mentioned that the A380's economics is best when the route is about 8-9 hours flying time. So, KUL-SYD/MEL would fall into that sweet spot.

The Bloomberg report also mentioned that a separate unit (maybe another subsidiary of the MAG) will be set up to operate these wet lease/charter operations - we used to have MAS Charters, so it might be a similar type of unit. This will take the A380s off MAB's books. It would be very interesting if the new unit starts making profits with an all A380 fleet!

By definitions, chartered flight is seasonal or infrequent. If chartered flight is regular, it would become schedule except limited by permits/rights. Unless there are a number of chartered flights that could compliment each other, with a fixed overhead, not sure it is feasible for A380.

by 2017/18 the A350s would have arrived and its hard to find enough charters even the seasonal pilgrimage flights for all its 6 A380s. It would be still a heavy loss for MAS to pay for the A380s and the only way is to unload and sell off its A380s even at a lower price to cut its losses. On the KUL-SYD/MEL routes even currently - well 2 weeks ago I flew back from MEL on its A330 and was shocked that the load in EY was only 30% !!

by 2017/18 the A350s would have arrived and its hard to find enough charters even the seasonal pilgrimage flights for all its 6 A380s. It would be still a heavy loss for MAS to pay for the A380s and the only way is to unload and sell off its A380s even at a lower price to cut its losses. On the KUL-SYD/MEL routes even currently - well 2 weeks ago I flew back from MEL on its A330 and was shocked that the load in EY was only 30% !!

MAB/MH has been consistently inconsistent in products offering, pricing and marketing; branding and marketing positioning is all over the matrix. Most travellers preferred to spend on airlines that meet expectation, be it LCC or FSC.

MAB/MH has been consistently inconsistent in products offering, pricing and marketing; branding and marketing positioning is all over the matrix. Most travellers preferred to spend on airlines that meet expectation, be it LCC or FSC.

Well said, recently I experienced a surprisingly excellent flight BKK-KUL in Y. Crew back to their 5 stars best performance and morale - assisting and bantering with passengers in relaxed manner throughout the almost full flight. Likewise there was improvement in catering - with an ice-cream treat and the ever elusive coffee, usually said to suspended 'temporarily' due to turbulence, but always no show in the end, even on longer flights. I hope this kind of performance is consistently consistent in future.

MAS to use A380s for pilgrimages, up seats to 700

Malaysia Airlines will transfer its six Airbus A380 aircraft to a subsidiary carrier focused on religious pilgrimage flights, and greatly boost total seating capacity.
Speaking to FlightGlobal, carrier chief executive Peter Bellew says the subsidiary airline will have a separate AOC with a sales office operational by December 2016 and flight operations to commence by the third-quarter of 2018.
As a start, the carrier will focus on mainly the seasonal Hajj and Umrah pilgrimage services.
Bellew adds that the aircraft will have around 700 all-economy seats, an increase of 200 from their current 496. The refurbishments will be carried out by Airbus “in a low-cost manner”, he adds.
Malaysia Airlines is confident of the new unit’s business prospects, and has been approached by third parties interested in investing in the venture.
"A substantial number of widebody aircraft, including other A380s and Boeing 747s will be needing C and D-checks by 2018 and further aircraft will come off-lease,” Bellew explains. “The new airline will be able to provide the much-needed capacity during that period of time”.
More:

haha sorry :D

Malaysia Airlines is confident of the new unit’s business prospects, and has been approached by third parties interested in investing in the venture.

​My gosh, so it's true then - there is one born every minute :D

Edited by BC Tam

I second this. Brilliant suggestion!

Only two A380s required to operate KUL-LHR twice daily - really ?

They must have a thing or two up their sleeves they can teach others about time keeping :)

Only two A380s required to operate KUL-LHR twice daily - really ?

They must have a thing or two up their sleeves they can teach others about time keeping :)

I would have thought you need three at least!

Definitely 3 A380s needed for the double daily KUL-LHR flights. I don't understand why MH doesn't make use of the spare A380 frames for peak periods of travel like the summer holidays in Australia. SQ is pretty flexible with their aircraft use during peak seasons to capitalise on this.

“We’re the proud owners of six spaceships, also known as A380s” -Malaysia Airlines CEO Peter Bellew

Malaysia Airlines will soon announce name for “Project Hope” that will move A380s to a separate Malaysian AOC for charters.

Malaysia CEO Bellew: we will prove second-hand A380 market can work. We may even add A380s to Project Hope.

Were the proud owners of six spaceships, also known as A380s -Malaysia Airlines CEO Peter Bellew

Malaysia Airlines will soon announce name for Project Hope that will move A380s to a separate Malaysian AOC for charters.

Malaysia CEO Bellew: we will prove second-hand A380 market can work. We may even add A380s to Project Hope.

Sound like snake oil seller.

Malaysia Airlines charter unit to feature own AOC

Malaysia Airlines (MH, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) will establish a separate airline to cater to its A380-800 charter operations Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Peter Bellew has disclosed.
Speaking to CAPA, Bellew said the airline, which will have its own Air Operator's Certificate (AOC), will cater primarily to Hajj and Umrah pilgrimage flights.
Earlier this year, Malaysia Airlines signed contracts with two local travel agencies, Andalusia Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd and Rayhar Travels Sdn Bhd, for the provision of charter flights to Saudi Arabia which began earlier this month.
Under the terms of the contracts, Malaysia Airlines will use its A380s to run a total of fifty-three flights from Malaysia to Madinah and Jeddah between November 10, 2016 and July 6, 2017.
Should charter demand prove adequate, the carrier may even acquire additional A380s Bellew added.

Malaysia Airlines charter unit to feature own AOC

Malaysia Airlines (MH, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) will establish a separate airline to cater to its A380-800 charter operations Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Peter Bellew has disclosed.

Speaking to CAPA, Bellew said the airline, which will have its own Air Operator's Certificate (AOC), will cater primarily to Hajj and Umrah pilgrimage flights.

Earlier this year, Malaysia Airlines signed contracts with two local travel agencies, Andalusia Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd and Rayhar Travels Sdn Bhd, for the provision of charter flights to Saudi Arabia which began earlier this month.

Under the terms of the contracts, Malaysia Airlines will use its A380s to run a total of fifty-three flights from Malaysia to Madinah and Jeddah between November 10, 2016 and July 6, 2017.

Should charter demand prove adequate, the carrier may even acquire additional A380s Bellew added.

See: http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/50968-malaysia-airlines-charter-unit-to-feature-own-aoc

53 flights over 8 months period? Better than schedule flight?

53 flights within 8 months period, that should work out to an average of 7 flights in a month or merely 1-2 flight a week.

They hardly need more than 1 A380 to run such service based on paper calculation.

Malaysia's new airline – will it make it or break it?

THERE was a lot of excitement when Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAS) CEO Peter Bellew talked about a plan to set up a new airline to serve the pilgrim market.
He was at the Capa Centre of Aviation event in Singapore last week, showing delegates a plan code-named “Project Hope”.
The excitement is to be expected, as if successful, it will spur others to follow suit. In the process, a second-hand market for the A380 super birds will be created, as there is no such market now even though there are nearly 200 such birds in the skies globally and 100 more on order.
But if the plan does not live up to expectations, then the hope is that there will be no rescue plans for MAS in the future.
More: