MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Heard now Mueller wants to fit in Economy plus seats in the upper decks of its A380s. Not sure if its costs effective to retrofit the seats as they A380s are going to be around for 2 years plus before the A350s take over.

Give 1 or 2 A380 to the government to convert to Air Force One

there you go now you have the first A380 used by head of state

The correct term is not "give" but "donate". That way MH can have it back when the government no longer need it, such as when it is due for maintenance.

The correct term is not "give" but "donate". That way MH can have it back when the government no longer need it, such as when it is due for maintenance.

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

I love the A380 and I really hope it stays. I know most people prefer the direct aisle access for a business class seat but the J seats on MH's A380s are very comfortable. It's probably the most comfortable of all the J seats I've tried. It doesn't feel claustrophobic and the seat is wide enough for me to sleep comfortably on my side. I wasn't really able to do that on QF, VA (new J) or AC on my recent travels. I suspect I will have the same issue with MH's new A330 J seats.

I love the A380 and I really hope it stays. I know most people prefer the direct aisle access for a business class seat but the J seats on MH's A380s are very comfortable. It's probably the most comfortable of all the J seats I've tried. It doesn't feel claustrophobic and the seat is wide enough for me to sleep comfortably on my side. I wasn't really able to do that on QF, VA (new J) or AC on my recent travels. I suspect I will have the same issue with MH's new A330 J seats.

Going to have first time experience with this in 2 weeks time, very excited. First time on an A380!

And I agree with your views on 100% direct aisle access as well. As I travel a lot with my wife, I do enjoy having window seats and being seated directly next to her.

I personally feel MAB's new J on the A330 is a good compromise where there are lots of 100% direct aisle access, while also offering window seats in pairs.

Year end I'll get the opportunity to be on JAL's J between KL & Tokyo which has pairs by the windows and also direct aisle access to all seats, in staggered position. That'll be interesting.

I love the A380 and I really hope it stays.

MAG's recent quarterly report does suggest that a change of heart may be taking place. Load factors are increasing. Why would MH perform the A380's maintenance in house if they are planning to get rid of them soon? Is it because they are planning to offer maintenance services to third parties (in conjunction with Lufthansa Teknik) or is it because there is a chance that the A380 will remain in the fleet post 2018? They have also decided to introduce a premium economy class on the A380.

I think MH has to work harder at selling seats on the A380. No matter what the fanboys say, the A350 and B787 are simply not in the same class of aircraft to the A380. The A380 is in a class by itself!

MH recently revised their subload travel policy to include more family members. I guess loads are still not up too par. LHR is always shown Green in the website and for these few months an offer of around RM700plus return is given for subload bookings to LHR

The 1 A380 which completed maintenance recently (MNA?), is it just a regular maintenance or they really installed Y+ cabin in it? Doesn't seem like a good business decision to reconfigure the aircraft only to park it in 2 years time.

The 1 A380 which completed maintenance recently (MNA?), is it just a regular maintenance or they really installed Y+ cabin in it? Doesn't seem like a good business decision to reconfigure the aircraft only to park it in 2 years time.

This might just involve the removal of some rows of Y seats, nothing major...

..... is MH looking to the charter business to keep its fleet of A380's busy?

and from the linked page .....

The great thing about using an A380 for chartered business is that our cost per seat is very effective .....

... there was stronger demand for chartered aircraft from the China-Malaysia route segment, primarily the China-Sabah route

Read in between lines and fill in blanks - there is hope there we may see the dugong at BKI some day :)

Does BKI supports A380 operations? As I believes the facilities need to be upgrade to cater for dugong.

As far as I know, KCH is unable to support A380 operations. Sure we have a capable runway and stopbars on the ground at the gate but our taxiways are too narrow. Not sure if this is the case for BKI as well.

As far as I know, KCH is unable to support A380 operations. Sure we have a capable runway and stopbars on the ground at the gate but our taxiways are too narrow. Not sure if this is the case for BKI as well.

If not mistaken BKI can support A380

Does BKI supports A380 operations? As I believes the facilities need to be upgrade to cater for dugong.

If not mistaken BKI can support A380

How ready an airport is for an A380 depends on a couple of factors, one of these are runway length, taxiway width, apron size, aerobridge, fire fighthing capabilities and ground handling.

Runway wise at BKI TORA is 3780x45meters (12402x148ft), that is ok. Taxiway width according to ICAO document (2004) states 23meters code E taxiway is safe for A380, BKI's taxiway width is 23m. Not sure about taxiway signages at BKI whether they are compliant for A380.

As for terminal I am not so sure whether we have the double aerobridge required at the designated apron for A380 ( bay 1?). All in all BKI would be able to handle an A380 it seems for diversion etc, but for scheduled and regular flights might still require some upgrading of facilities (aerobridge?) at the terminal side if they want smooth and efficient operations. I might be wrong of course.

Don't forget runway, taxiway and apron strength too - if it cannot support the weight of the A380 at MTOW, then it may not be able to handle A380s on regular flights.

I thought the question on whether BKI can support A380 operation was asked by a reporter when the new T1 was commissioned. I think the answer was not a firm yes or no.

BKI runway length can support A380 but the runway is not strong enough to support the dugong's MTOW so restriction on payload is needed. So basically the A380 can only do regional or domestic. A380 Long Haul requires MAHB to strengthen the runway. Taxiway width is up to standard for A380. Gate and ground handling wise at BKI im not sure.

If they are going to use it for BKI-China flights, i doubt the A380 will be at its MTOW.

I doubt if it's even half full.

I think AK is definitely faster in tapping up and coming markets and currently they have scheduled flights from BKI to Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Wuhan, maybe Hong Kong and Taipei too depending on your definition of China.

I just can't see MH using the A380 on BKI to anywhere in China.

Edited by Waiping

I think AK is definitely faster in tapping up and coming markets and currently they have scheduled flights from BKI to Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Wuhan, maybe Hong Kong and Taipei too depending on your definition of China.

Agreed. Most unlikely. Will be narrow body planes for chartered flights. Think that is MAB's intention of using narrowbody for flights to China from BKI. BKI isn't such an attractive place that needs the A380 (yet). Previous CAPA report did state about MAB using B738 for charter flights to China.

Edited by Eddy Liew

Agreed. Most unlikely. Will be narrow body planes for chartered flights. Think that is MAB's intention of using narrowbody for flights to China from BKI. BKI isn't such an attractive place that needs the A380 (yet). Previous CAPA report did state about MAB using B738 for charter flights to China.

Dont rule it out. For Charter anything is possible. Remember this is not a schedule operation. From my airlines experience of doing charters to and from China, the volume and market is there. The possibility is there, it all comes down to the $$$ and package MAB offers.

The A380 is now becoming more of a novelty way to fly than being a passenger aircraft that is commercially viable. It could be the routes that it plies are now getting lesser passenger traffic flow in tandem with the shift in the economic environment. The Asian pacific region's economic health is still robust compared with the west, hence more passenger traffic for internal countries commuting is expected, which airline like AK fit nicely into the square.

Dont rule it out. For Charter anything is possible. Remember this is not a schedule operation. From my airlines experience of doing charters to and from China, the volume and market is there. The possibility is there, it all comes down to the $$$ and package MAB offers.

Agree - charter flights may only be mounted once or twice a month, with full loads.