MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Well I learnt something new! - In Mecca are there different stars of hotels? 5* 4* or all one standard of accomodation?

What i'm trying to say is - can the rich pilgrim pay more to have more comforts, or is it against the spirit of the pilgrimage to be "different" from other pilgrims?

Additional info

Muassasah (Normal Package) -+ RM10,000

Private Package start from RM26,000 - RM60,000

The main thing is what happens when MAS is unable to find any takers for its 6 A380s as todate even the 2 supposed to be leased remains in doubt and with no takers, what will MAS do with the 6 frames as obviously they cant afford to leave it parked and service the payments and that MAS have already signed up to lease 4 A359s to replace the A380s to LHR. At the same time believed Thai sell its also trying to get rid of its 6 A380s,and Airbus still have 2 skymark frames unsold.

If Unsold,only option is to sell one stop AKL/LHR all 380 service,with one night kul stop over thrown in for 100 usd :acute: .Hold the bull with its horns i guess.

If Unsold,only option is to sell one stop AKL/LHR all 380 service,with one night kul stop over thrown in for 100 usd :acute: .Hold the bull with its horns i guess.

Well AKL-KUL-LHR will not have many competitors if the flight schedules are correctly timed.

Any idea what happen to 9M-MNC? last flight recorded is on the 20th Aug 2015. Is it currently under seat upgrading?

We have, so far, got no idea what is happening - so we have to make some guesses.

Perhaps the new business class product is being installed, perhaps first class is no more and the plane will now have a bigger business class.

MAB might also be putting on a new livery - it is always better to do a brand refresh with your flagship aircraft.

Well AKL-KUL-LHR will not have many competitors if the flight schedules are correctly timed.

We have, so far, got no idea what is happening - so we have to make some guesses.

Perhaps the new business class product is being installed, perhaps first class is no more and the plane will now have a bigger business class.

MAB might also be putting on a new livery - it is always better to do a brand refresh with your flagship aircraft.

Yeah.. hopefully it will come out with a new livery and new interior/seats..

So the 380 will do the CDG run on 1Oct, as MH20/30Sep is cancelled and the flight is combined with MH20/1Oct.

Seems to be some issues with the 772 fleet as the AMS flight on 29/Sep was delayed by many hours. So was MH20 a few days ago...

Those 10 firm order exercised in 2011 will never be delivered. MH might have incur penalty for cancelling at last minute.

Or they might have sold the slots. B738s are in good demand.

Mavis Toh of Flightglobal Tweeted:

Interesting interview with Malaysia Airlines' chief today where he said plan is to dispose of 6 A380s by 2018, when A350s are delivered.

So CM is still sticking to the plan....

My question to CM would be, "what if there are no buyers by 2018, will MH store them or scrap them?"

Not only MH will have issue, SQ's first five A380 will also be offloaded by then, so are some of EK's earlier A380. With two ex-Skymark ntu, and two more A380 production model MSN 002 and MSN 004 without any owner since 2008, A380NEO is a definitely a no-go for Airbus.

MH should have a better game plan in case they can't get rid of their A380s, from the EIS of 777X and A330NEO in the future, it makes the A380 value even lower, they should consider lease it to AK for a UK flight. Or deploy the A380s on a rotating basis plying high demand flights e.g consolidating 2 flights into 1. Still better than sitting there doing nothing. Who knows it might work? my 2 cents though.

MH should have a better game plan in case they can't get rid of their A380s, from the EIS of 777X and A330NEO in the future, it makes the A380 value even lower, they should consider lease it to AK for a UK flight. Or deploy the A380s on a rotating basis plying high demand flights e.g consolidating 2 flights into 1. Still better than sitting there doing nothing. Who knows it might work? my 2 cents though.

Consolidating 2 flights into 1 has its pros and cons.

For people in the business world, having multiple flights per day gives better travel flexibility.

True, it is very difficult to get slots at slot restricted airport like LHR, CDG and FRA. If MH is to consolidate multiple flight into one, they may lose the other slots, as per local airport rule. What they can do is to lease out other slots, but this may turns off business as they prefer more frequencies.

MH has sold off their third LHR slots few years ago.

I think that presently, MH is still using all 6 frames - they are rotating the aircraft so that the hours and cycles of all the frames are utilised and not wasted.

I think MH should really seriously look at their A380 ops - this aircraft has the fleet's most competitive product and it will need some marketing effort to get the seats sold. They can start by putting the A380 into MEL and SYD during the Aussie summer peak period. Other peak periods, e.g. European summer season, Middle East holiday season, Haj, and other high traffic routes should also be looked into.

This strategy may have some marketing effect and, maybe, it may not be necessary to sell the A380s after all. Of course, the whole equation will change if oil prices resume their upward trend.

I think that presently, MH is still using all 6 frames - they are rotating the aircraft so that the hours and cycles of all the frames are utilised and not wasted.

Only 5 frames are active right now. 9M-MNC has been on the ground for quite some time now.

Anybody know what is being done to -MNC? I believe it has been grounded since August or thereabouts. No money allocated to spend on some essential spare parts? Major cabin refurbishments? It spent some weeks in the hangar, but was recently parked outside...the livery still looked the same.

Anybody know what is being done to -MNC? I believe it has been grounded since August or thereabouts. No money allocated to spend on some essential spare parts? Major cabin refurbishments? It spent some weeks in the hangar, but was recently parked outside...the livery still looked the same.

MH may learn from AI...strip new aircraft for spare parts.

It would not be a bad thing to reconfigure the lower deck to Airasia X's requirements and lease it to them. Then all MH needs to do is sell business, premium economy and economy on the upper deck. ;)

Confirmation that all 6 A380s are no longer needed in the fleet.

London will be operated by the new leased 4 A350-900.

It would not be a bad thing to reconfigure the lower deck to Airasia X's requirements and lease it to them. Then all MH needs to do is sell business, premium economy and economy on the upper deck. ;)

Aviation's take on sleeping with the enemy ?! :)

A380 has the lowest CASM, LHR is one popular destination and MH couldn't breakeven on this route, mean MH is unpopular and unable to compete. Without improving products offering and network connectivity, MH A359 yield could be poor.

9M-MNC probably is a parts donor. Must be tough to keep the big birds flying.

Yes, and spare parts are not cheap either...

ermmm.. its a bit more complicated than just CASM.

can you share more on these bro? from biz perspective, cost is the main driver (CASM is the indicator). increase efficiency, offer better products, better branding, etc will increase the yield. ain't it?