MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Ultimate identity crisis

Nah, the early deliveries from Airbus came without the stripes. They were stickered on later. I think that from MND onwards, they were painted on.

This is MNA outside the MAS hanger after arriving from TLS on its delivery flight:

web.jpg

Ultimate identity crisis

Haha true. I have lost count on how many liveries they have at the moment.

I can't be bothered anymore...

Yup, they plug 4 Bangkok Air A319 as the giant beast's engines.

Anybody know what's been happening with MH's A380s?

Seemed to have suffered some glitches, as I think MH4/ 4Nov didn't go as scheduled, and there were 2 A380s in the hangars at KUL.

Been on MH A380 recently. Some changes in flight experience:

1. After take off, only a juice is offered. Kacang masin (salted peanut) has been cancelled.

2. Skysnax is cancelled too. This is replaced with a selection of snacks, which the cabin crew will be offering passengers from a big basket. Not all passengers get it because some might miss the run due to sleeping or not paying attention.

Yes, that's exactly the snacks in the basket that I am referring to.

Going to fly on another MH A380 flight in about an hour. Loads are so-so. I was on sequence number 346, checking in manually about 2 hours prior to departure time.

On the previous sector, I was on sequence number 244 and I was the last person to check in. On this flights, crews were chanting "Feel free to move to any empty seats." Hope it is not a daily occurrence. 244 pax is not even a full B772.

What is a good figure for a 494 seater to be considered a good load?

I'm guessing the total figure is somewhat secondary to how front and top heavy they have to load the 380 :)

2. Skysnax is cancelled too. This is replaced with a selection of snacks, which the cabin crew will be offering passengers from a big basket. Not all passengers get it because some might miss the run due to sleeping or not paying attention.

SQ has been doing this for years. Guess it will reduce catering cost as not all passengers will be keen in the snacks and MH can reduce the uplift of snacks.

Been on MH A380 recently. Some changes in flight experience:

1. After take off, only a juice is offered. Kacang masin (salted peanut) has been cancelled.

Reporting back after the second A380 sector (MH4 KUL-LHR).

1. Kacang masin (salted peanut) is offered to passengers after take off together with the juice. I suppose they were out of kacang masin on the outbound journey (MH1 LHR-KUL) or kacang masin is not offered ex LHR.

2. Skysnax is confirmed to have been cancelled. I was sleeping when the crew distributed the snacks from the basket. When I woke up, I found a small can of Pringle and a small pack of Oreo on my tray table. Good gesture by the cabin crew. So my conclusion is, you will get the snack if you are awake when the crew distributing it or if you get a thoughtful crew. Higher chance for sleeping passengers to get the snacks on a daylight flight as compared to a midnight flight.

There was lots of discussion on how MH should run its A380 services in the Turkish Airlines possible leasing of two MH 380s. However, TK has not confirmed that operating the A380 is not in its 2015 plans (see http://investor.turkishairlines.com/en/announcements/disclosures/detail/25-02-2015-public-disclosures-181).

From what I can see, MH's A380s are not very heavily utlilised, operating only 21 flights a week. There is still some spare capacity available if MH wants to make its fleet work harder. I suspect that MH can easily squeeze another daily 10-13 hour route from the fleet, assuming that the aircraft despatch rates are good.

Which of MH's routes now warrant deploying the A380?

Edited by flee

There was lots of discussion on how MH should run its A380 services in the Turkish Airlines possible leasing of two MH 380s. However, TK has not confirmed that operating the A380 is not in its 2015 plans (see http://investor.turkishairlines.com/en/announcements/disclosures/detail/25-02-2015-public-disclosures-181).

From what I can see, MH's A380s are not very heavily utlilised, operating only 21 flights a week. There is still some spare capacity available if MH wants to make its fleet work harder. I suspect that MH can easily squeeze another daily 10-13 hour route from the fleet, assuming that the aircraft despatch rates are good.

Which of MH's routes now warrant deploying the A380?

MEL? **fingers crossed

The Australia routes are all over capacity now. Everyone is bleeding money maybe except EK. Scoot, MH, D7 , TG and EK had either muscled in or dumping cheap fares on those routes thus resulting in irrational fares.

D7 had opted out from crazy war, dropping Adelaide thus far. I personally don't think deploying MH 380 into Sydney or Melbourne is going to help MH bottomline.

Travelled to Mel on 14 feb from SIN to MEL on Emirates and it was 100% full and the fare was not cheap at $530 one-way and emirates was quoting S$860 for return. Returned on the only available SQ flight on 20th Feb and it was 100% full too so as the earlier 2 SQ flights. My nephew took MH from Mel to KUL on same day on the 855am flight operated by AQ330 and it was only 25% full! But going up on MH was 85% full. It Looks like SIN - MEL fares are nir cheap averagig S$800 and SQ daily 4 flights are easily abobe 85% full. Cant understand why MH 2 daily flights are not full esp the outbound from Mel.

Travelled to Mel on 14 feb from SIN to MEL on Emirates and it was 100% full and the fare was not cheap at $530 one-way and emirates was quoting S$860 for return. Returned on the only available SQ flight on 20th Feb and it was 100% full too so as the earlier 2 SQ flights. My nephew took MH from Mel to KUL on same day on the 855am flight operated by AQ330 and it was only 25% full! But going up on MH was 85% full. It Looks like SIN - MEL fares are nir cheap averagig S$800 and SQ daily 4 flights are easily abobe 85% full. Cant understand why MH 2 daily flights are not full esp the outbound from Mel.

SQ is the creme de la cream (sic), and have a very strong branding in Australia since early days. All the local Australians adn Kiwis are clamoring for SQ, no thanks to QF's grounding by their CEO last time.

Same goes to EK, the amount of marketing campaign they do in Aus and NZ markets are crazy. No wonder QF jumps onto the bed with them.

The twin MH disaster didn't help either....:(

MH's loads from Australia are still quite badly affected by the 2 disasters from last year. It's really quite unfair on them.

I recently went to KL. Flight up on Feb 18 (the early morning flight, which traditionally has the weakest loads of the 3 flights from Sydney) was at the most 1/3 full. J cabin was only 1/3 filled. Coming back to Sydney on Feb 21 on the early evening flight, the load was 100% (in both Y and J). I think the later overnight flight back was also completely full.

MH's loads from Australia are still quite badly affected by the 2 disasters from last year. It's really quite unfair on them.

I recently went to KL. Flight up on Feb 18 (the early morning flight, which traditionally has the weakest loads of the 3 flights from Sydney) was at the most 1/3 full. J cabin was only 1/3 filled. Coming back to Sydney on Feb 21 on the early evening flight, the load was 100% (in both Y and J). I think the later overnight flight back was also completely full.

cant blame anyone if the service is nothing to rave about...people would rather fly EK for similar or lower price and better service...

I just flew KUL-MEL 2 days ago, taking the 1145pm flight on 777. It was full and not a single empty seat in Y class (maybe due to student's movement and after CNY load). To be fair, cost cutting measures were in place (expecially in the second meal served - just a cold sandwich, etc). But overall, I still think it is a decent product on a 777, despite it's age. Of course the IFE screen is dated, but I think I rather have 9-abreast seating and 34inch pitch in MH's 777 than EK's 10 abreast! I must say MH's 777 still offer the best in terms of seat comfort. I think the crew on this flight were rather great - friendly, warm, and helpful. I got all the extra packs of peanuts :)

If only MH could bring back the menu (if not printed, at least make it availble through the IFE), towels, more drink rounds, and pre-dinner/main meal drinks - that would put them back on par with others.

I am still not too impressed with EK - I just think it's a lot of hype in their marketing that perhaps creates the "perception" that it offers really "great" service.