MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Most of the times yeah. But our founder Gavin was only given a 2GB Thumbdrive when his IFE was not working on an SQ flight to NRT recently.

SIA is no longer as generous as before due to cost cutting. Passengers on the London bound flight that was hit by heavy turbulence several months ago were only each given just a box Guylian Belgian Chocolate. Yes, 2GB Thumbdrive is very cheap these days but at least it is something. MAS will probably just say sorry to you and that's it.

So far only experience flight delay with CX n the delay was only 3 hours late departure n CX handled it quite good in my opinion....

1) Sat in the plane around 1 hour while the engineers try to fix the issue

2) Disembark after finding out cannot fix the issue

3) Ground crew standby at gate to inform pax transfer to another flight departing around 1.30 hours later.

4) Passengers given food vouchers and CX even brought a cart with Coke/Coke light/Water/Cake to the gate the nxt flight was departing from.

So far only experience flight delay with CX n the delay was only 3 hours late departure n CX handled it quite good in my opinion....

1) Sat in the plane around 1 hour while the engineers try to fix the issue

2) Disembark after finding out cannot fix the issue

3) Ground crew standby at gate to inform pax transfer to another flight departing around 1.30 hours later.

4) Passengers given food vouchers and CX even brought a cart with Coke/Coke light/Water/Cake to the gate the nxt flight was departing from.

Sounds like a scene from Triumph in the Sky.

Sounds like a scene from Triumph in the Sky.

Haha...but its true...anyway I dont watch tht series so don't know the details...

The flight affected was CX 564 HKG-TPE-KIX on 20th October.

The thing that puzzles me is how they got another plane in the same type and have it prep that fast

Not sure what's the thought process involved in MH's flight disruption. SQ's is to minimize delay so if in MH's case, maybe rob the A380 for MH72 and mount the flight in the morning rather than wait until 11 something PM.

Not sure what's the thought process involved in MH's flight disruption. SQ's is to minimize delay so if in MH's case, maybe rob the A380 for MH72 and mount the flight in the morning rather than wait until 11 something PM.

Unless it is (non)availability of slots and crew, I thought that would be possible as there would be two supposedly-serviceable 380s on the ground on the 8th morning - having each arrived from LHR and CDG. And two others available for the evening's midnight service to LHR and CDG (one arriving from LHR in teh early evening). Maybe there are other variables...

I've experienced delay with MH bird.. from KUL - CGK.. I mentioned before in one of the topic here.. last minute retimed.. and retimed was through SMS.. many went to the transit counter to complain.. IN the end everyone got a food voucher.. and thats it.. Unlike what you guys mentioned about CX.. having a cart full of coke/cake and etc.. nope we don't have that :(

But on the plus side, we got upgraded from B738 to A330.. those new ones which have better IFE and spacious seats :)

But many people were disgruntled and unhappy.. especially those on business trips and having meetings :(

Can anyone definitively confirm that the J seats on MH A380 have been fixed so that the legrest part also goes horizontal? Previous photos showed that the backrest & seatpan were fully 180-degree flat, but the legrest sloped downwards.

I understand it's only a software update for the Zodiac/Sicma Majesty seats to reprogram them to extend fully flat, but has this been done for all six A380s?

TQVM.

Good news, though we should probably only celebrate "when the fat lady sings the entire aria"...

I asked MH whether the J seats on the A388 will be reprogrammed/updated/retrofitted to make them a full-flat seat. This was their reply:

"For your information we have modified the seats to have the drooping leg rest lie flat in proportion to the rest of the seat on part of our A380 aircraft and work is under way to retrofit the rest of the fleet to rectify said deficiency.

We thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing more from you soon."

The question to ask out of all of this is, who was responsible for the initial procurement and why wasn't this either specified or checked earlier as to whether the seats were a full lie-flat? Or upon delivery, was there no further acceptance testing or quality checking?

It was probably some accountant that did the procurement...his mind was on saving a few dollars.

On a separate topic, does anyone know why only -MND has the swoosh graphics on the "inside" of the engine cover facing the fuselage? Not the other 5 380s?

But if there is no re-reconfiguration now - maybe there is? - how could MH now accommodate the straightening of the drooping leg rests?

Can't remember the exact mod but I believe it was some mods to the foot well area plus reprograming the electronics.

IIRC MND is the one that's already modified.

Good to know that that kink in the legrest is being fixed. It's not perfect but it's much better than it was previously.

Ini seat aaaa.....

so sakit belakang one!

tried it twice, and never liked it!

The angle in leg rest causes knee flexion, which in turn force the hips to flex, thus putting pressure onto the lower spine when lying supine. Very effective method to induce sakit belakang (back pain)

Edited by V Wong

So how bad was the A380 that had to receive engineering attention? ANother forum suggested that there was some fuel leakage from the tanks.

As many of you may be aware, MH20 to CDG on 11Jan was cancelled. No - it wasnt delayed. MH20D operated the KUL-CDG almost 24 hours later. And since 13Jan, the HKG service has been operated by A333, and today by a 772. And I think yesterday, MH had to operate an extra flight to HKG as the HKG-KUL MH73 A333 service was full and pax had to be re-accomdated on MH7351 HKG-KUL.