MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

AirAsia numbers might take a hit if MH is to deploy A380s to SYD and MEL, but then again we are looking at different segment of the market.

Eight hours on D7 A330 is seriously a no-no for me.....at least. Glad that I survived it......

MAS to add more fuel-efficient A380 superjumbos to assist its turnaround

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) plans to add more Airbus SAS superjumbos to its fleet as modern, fuel-efficient aircraft will assist a turnaround from two consecutive years of losses.

The flag carrier, which has six A380s, may order “a few more” double-decker planes, group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in an interview in Kuala Lumpur yesterday. MAS would arrive at a decision by the year-end, he said.

Jauhari needs new aircraft to cut fuel expenses, the airline's biggest cost at 37%, end losses and take on competition from Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIA), which also boosted its A380 orders last year.

Asian carriers may help spur demand for Airbus's superjumbo, whose sales have suffered in recent years as a weak global economy and a flaw with a wing component damped orders, leading to some unsold production slots.

“It's better late than never,” said Mohshin Aziz, an analyst at Kuala Lumpur-based Maybank Investment Bank Bhd. “I believe the company will be profitable by the end of this year because by then it would have substantially refitted its fleet with brand new aircraft.”

MAS would take delivery of 24 new aircraft this year and another 25 over the next two years, said Jauhari, who became the CEO in September 2011. The carrier ordered 15 Airbus and 35 Boeing Coplanes in 2011.

MAS currently flies its A380s to London, Hong Kong and Paris. The carrier has fitted the superjumbos with first-class seats bigger than single-bed mattresses as part of efforts to win more premium traffic. Flights with the 494-seat plane began in July last year with a service to London.

Airbus got nine orders for the superjumbo last year against a target of 30. In January, the planemaker said it aimed to win 25 A380 sales this year.

“The A380s have been successful with passenger load factor of above 80%, sometimes even full load,” Jauhari said. “We have been flying the A380s aggressively, 17 hours a day.”

MAS is also retiring 30 aircraft from its fleet this year to cut costs. New planes typically consume less fuel than older aircraft. With the retirement of old planes and new aircraft coming, the average age of MAS' fleet of 110 planes would be 5.4 years by end of 2013, Jauhari said.

The airline was targeting to achieve a passenger load factor of more than 80% for the rest of the year from the current 78%, he said. The company's focus will be on Asian capitals and major tourist destinations in the region.

Competition is increasing for MAS, part of the Oneworld Alliance, as budget airlines expand in South-East Asia and SIA boosts plane orders. SIA last month ordered 60 planes worth US$17bil from Boeing and Airbus.

Discount carriers in South-East Asia ordered at least 1,000 new aircraft in the past five years as economic expansion across the region enables more people to start flying in countries such as Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam. Some 15 low-fare carriers started flying in the past decade across Asia. - Bloomberg

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/6/13/business/13231882&sec=business

I think priority should be given to re-negotiating the bilateral agreement between Malaysia and Australia. MH is seriously missing out on the high-yield traffic because they can't use the A380 on flights to SYD and MEL. I really think the A380 is making money for MH. I just checked loads on the A380 for flights from KUL to LHR and CDG for today. The CDG flight is full in J and almost full in F. Similar story for the LHR flights. I have never seen loads like these on MH in the premium cabins and this is a mid-week flight as well!

Here's another example. I'm booked on MH 4 on June 28 and there is only 1 seat left for purchase on this flight, which is in F. I haven't been checking the HKG flights to see what loads are like on the A380 for those.

Load is one thing, yield is another. MH fares are among the cheapest when booked outside Malaysia. So it's hard to see how they can make a lot of money.

I think priority should be given to re-negotiating the bilateral agreement between Malaysia and Australia. MH is seriously missing out on the high-yield traffic because they can't use the A380 on flights to SYD and MEL. I really think the A380 is making money for MH. I just checked loads on the A380 for flights from KUL to LHR and CDG for today. The CDG flight is full in J and almost full in F. Similar story for the LHR flights. I have never seen loads like these on MH in the premium cabins and this is a mid-week flight as well!

Here's another example. I'm booked on MH 4 on June 28 and there is only 1 seat left for purchase on this flight, which is in F. I haven't been checking the HKG flights to see what loads are like on the A380 for those.

Full in J doesn't always translate to good yields.

There have been some crazy sales (think about 1700 USD return to LHR - booked in Z) ex "some other place" around here. It's gone now, but at some stage it'll be back again i think.

You got that spot on. When I talk to people who have flown on the A380, they are full of praise about how quiet and smooth it is. One of my English friends from the UK told me (after her first MH A380 flight to KUL) that it was the first time she could relax on board a plane and arrived feeling refreshed and less jet lagged.

I am sure that this is why the A380 is such a passenger magnet. Those who have flown in it will recommend it to their circle of friends, family members and business associates.

AJ also mentioned that MH should expand - so who are we to say that MH should not open new routes using the new A380s ordered?

MH should just go ahead and order the A380s - Airbus still have 2015 delivery slots unfilled. That would suit MH down to the ground! :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained... No Risk, No Reward!

Wonder what value they put for "pax comfort" in Total Aircraft Operating Cost (TAOC) if A380 vs 744?

When I first flew on 747, I was glad it was noisy. Two kids decided to have a screaming contest in the middle of the flight.

Flying for the first time on A380, 15 hours went very quickly. No screaming kids, luckily.

Number of kids on board is seasonal and statistically, more chance to encounter kids in bigger aircraft.

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) plans to add more Airbus SAS superjumbos to its fleet as modern, fuel-efficient aircraft will assist a turnaround from two consecutive years of losses.

The flag carrier, which has six A380s, may order “a few more” double-decker planes, group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in an interview in Kuala Lumpur yesterday. MAS would arrive at a decision by the year-end, he said.

Jauhari needs new aircraft to cut fuel expenses, the airline's biggest cost at 37%, end losses and take on competition from Singapore Airlines Ltd (SIA), which also boosted its A380 orders last year.

Asian carriers may help spur demand for Airbus's superjumbo, whose sales have suffered in recent years as a weak global economy and a flaw with a wing component damped orders, leading to some unsold production slots.

“It's better late than never,” said Mohshin Aziz, an analyst at Kuala Lumpur-based Maybank Investment Bank Bhd. “I believe the company will be profitable by the end of this year because by then it would have substantially refitted its fleet with brand new aircraft.”

MAS would take delivery of 24 new aircraft this year and another 25 over the next two years, said Jauhari, who became the CEO in September 2011. The carrier ordered 15 Airbus and 35 Boeing Co planes in 2011.

MAS currently flies its A380s to London, Hong Kong and Paris. The carrier has fitted the superjumbos with first-class seats bigger than single-bed mattresses as part of efforts to win more premium traffic. Flights with the 494-seat plane began in July last year with a service to London.

Airbus got nine orders for the superjumbo last year against a target of 30. In January, the planemaker said it aimed to win 25 A380 sales this year.

“The A380s have been successful with passenger load factor of above 80%, sometimes even full load,” Jauhari said. “We have been flying the A380s aggressively, 17 hours a day.”

MAS is also retiring 30 aircraft from its fleet this year to cut costs. New planes typically consume less fuel than older aircraft. With the retirement of old planes and new aircraft coming, the average age of MAS' fleet of 110 planes would be 5.4 years by end of 2013, Jauhari said.

The airline was targeting to achieve a passenger load factor of more than 80% for the rest of the year from the current 78%, he said. The company's focus will be on Asian capitals and major tourist destinations in the region.

Competition is increasing for MAS, part of the Oneworld Alliance, as budget airlines expand in South-East Asia and SIA boosts plane orders. SIA last month ordered 60 planes worth US$17bil from Boeing and Airbus.

Discount carriers in South-East Asia ordered at least 1,000 new aircraft in the past five years as economic expansion across the region enables more people to start flying in countries such as Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam. Some 15 low-fare carriers started flying in the past decade across Asia. - Bloomberg

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/6/13/business/13231882&sec=business

I think it depends on the crew as well. I found MH crew are quite pro active in dealing with kids. I had a mother with small baby sitting behind me once and the crew kept checking her very often.

I did mention before that MH current route network requires the 777s only for AMS and FRA.. The rest eg NRT LAX AKL IST can be served by the 330s.

By getting 'a few more' 380s they will be able to retire their last 'old' aircraft, the 777s by 2015 .. And to cover some payload / range restrictions on the 330s the remaining options can be converted to the 242t 330s.

The company can then have some breathing space to look forward to the next gen aircraft like the 777x / 787 / 350s which could only be delivered 5-8 years time... Which would be a good time to replace the 330s which would by then be aging..

The rumours now that MAS will pull out A380 from Hong Kong for Incheon instead.. Any confirmation on this?

The rumours now that MAS will pull out A380 from Hong Kong for Incheon instead.. Any confirmation on this?

The timing of 66/67 wont really be optimised for an A380 from which HKG 72/73 is kind of a filler from between the arrival of MH3/21 and departure of MH2/20 in the night.

The timing of 66/67 wont really be optimised for an A380 from which HKG 72/73 is kind of a filler from between the arrival of MH3/21 and departure of MH2/20 in the night.

Actually they can still squeeze in another East Asian destination with 6 A380s. Only 5 frames are needed for the LHR, CDG, HKG flights. They could easily do the KUL-ICN flight.

Having that said, I am surprised that they'll use it for ICN instead of NRT. Seems like the new visa waiver policy for Malaysians will encourage more Malaysian tourists to Japan in addition to MH and JL's relationship.

Is MH crazy or what? HKG and NRT are the most justified route to be served with A380 for these two airports are OW hub. Or they should serve AMS with A380 too for the partnership with KLM.

But why Incheon ? Read that premium demand is kind of thin between KUL/ICN.

Actually they can still squeeze in another East Asian destination with 6 A380s. Only 5 frames are needed for the LHR, CDG, HKG flights. They could easily do the KUL-ICN flight.

To use their 6 A380-800 like how Air Asia X is using their A330-300 ? It is a disaster for a premium focused airline such as MAS. As reported here a few months back, it is quite a norm for MAS flights operated by the 388 to be severely delayed due to some technical issues. It will make thing worse if they keep on pushing too far.

Is MH crazy or what? HKG and NRT are the most justified route to be served with A380 for these two airports are OW hub. Or they should serve AMS with A380 too for the partnership with KLM.

Probably way too many premium seats for MAS though.

To use their 6 A380-800 like how Air Asia X is using their A330-300 ? It is a disaster for a premium focused airline such as MAS. As reported here a few months back, it is quite a norm for MAS flights operated by the 388 to be severely delayed due to some technical issues. It will make thing worse if they keep on pushing too far.

Not like Air Asia X, but more in line with other 380 operators. I believe MH is the only carrier with 1 full frame available 24/7. If they do a SYD/MEL (capacity permitting), it will be tight, but a NRT/ICN turn will allow plenty of groundtime at KUL as well.

An Aussie client was complaining that he couldn't get a J-class seat between KUL-MEL because MH is running a A380 to CDG promotion in Australia.

A quick check on MH website show typical return J-fare for KUL-CDG is RM14,350 and MEL-CDG promo fare is AUD5,050.

MH really needs to bring the A380 to SYD and MEL. There will be a significant boost to corporate and leisure traffic between SYD/MEL and LHR with the use of these planes. I regularly check the J loads between KUL and LHR and the business cabin is almost always 80-90% full! I remember when the B744 was flying this route and MH would be lucky to get a 50% load in the J cabin.

I do agree with Josh that Malaysia and Australia need to get the open skies policies work out. Just did some random check on the flight availability for both SYD / MEL to KUL. All flights are literally fully booked till the following week.

Was doing a mock booking on MH for next May to HKG and MH72/73 is listed as service by B772 :(

Was doing a mock booking on MH for next May to HKG and MH72/73 is listed as service by B772 :(

That's probably just a placeholder that hasn't been updated yet. MH hasn't even finished their updating W13/14 schedules yet. ;)

Just seen photos of the new BA A380 in full livery.

Stunning looking aircraft.

MH - please repaint your A380's.

Malaysia Airlines has the best livery for A380s. It's unique and it differs from the rest of the fleet.

Rumor has it that MAS might re-deploy the A380 somewhere else this winter. However, nothing is certained yet at this moment ...... :nea:

:hi:

Where could it be?

Candidates based on current MH timings that correspond well with the timing of flight MH72/73 and destination airport's capability to handle the A380:

DEL MH172/173

BOM MH174/175

PVG MH388/389

TPE MH366/367

PVG looks like a front runner here.

Where could it be?

Candidates based on current MH timings that correspond well with the timing of flight MH72/73 and destination airport's capability to handle the A380:

DEL MH172/173

BOM MH174/175

PVG MH388/389

TPE MH366/367

PVG looks like a front runner here.

The A380 should not be sent to any of those destinations.