MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Approx 18 hrs fuel endurance, could carry ~ 440 pax (some of the EK's config), plenty of belly space, the operator could mix & match between payload and fuel. Apparently, 77W (and 77L) are the true star in ULR ops, at least until XWB comes into play.

:hi:

Oh, one more thing that MH needs to do - if A333s are going to replace B744s for the Aussie routes, there must be F class accommodation. Otherwise, product consistency will not be there on the kangaroo route.

I agree. All they need is just 1 row of F. They'll be able to fit 3 seats (1-1-1) but that would mean taking out 2 rows of J to accommodate it though.

All they need is just 1 row of F. They'll be able to fit 3 seats (1-1-1) but that would mean taking out 2 rows of J to accommodate it though.

Well, life is one big juggling game :)

Someone, somewhere, sometime along the line will have to decide if it's more likely to have a F pax (hopefully premium revenue generating) or having to turn away J class pax(es?)

We who are accustomed to cattle class are less of a headache I suppose - pay us peanuts or don't travel :)

Though on our recent EY adventure, we were invited to make an offer for an upgrade from Coral(Y) to Pearl(J), subject to said airline's accetance and T&C - brilliant piece of of marketing gimmick :)

Edited by BC Tam

Well, life is one big juggling game :)

Someone, somewhere, sometime along the line will have to decide if it's more likely to have a F pax (hopefully premium revenue generating) or having to turn away J class pax(es?)

We who are accustomed to cattle class are less of a headache I suppose - pay us peanuts or don't travel :)

Though on our recent EY adventure, we were invited to make an offer for an upgrade from Coral(Y) to Pearl(J), subject to said airline's accetance and T&C - brilliant piece of of marketing gimmick :)

LOL! You will rarely find me in cattle class nowadays when it comes to long-haul travel... :p

LOL! You will rarely find me in cattle class nowadays when it comes to long-haul travel... :p

In most cases Josh.....

malaysians want to travel, but don't care about seats they are flying. as long as they can get from point A to point B, take photos, shopping....and update facebook status by adding some overseas place in it, and everybody will like the status....

so...I don't think 3 first class seats will be very economical these days.

in terms of crewing, they need 2 crews there, so extra crews needed only to man this 3 FRCL seats

malaysians want to travel, but don't care about seats they are flying. as long as they can get from point A to point B, take photos, shopping....and update facebook status by adding some overseas place in it, and everybody will like the status....

In our case, priorities were/are:

1) get from point A to point B (disputed by wife, refer point C)

2) take photos (admittedly that slipped down priority list once apathy held traction)

3) shopping (wife's priority, not mine)

4) facebook - what status ?! :)

In most cases Josh.....

so...I don't think 3 first class seats will be very economical these days.

in terms of crewing, they need 2 crews there, so extra crews needed only to man this 3 FRCL seats

From KUL to EUR, EY fare is from about RM3,000 to RM6,000; J fare range from RM6,000 to RM12,000. With the exception of lucky few that have gomen, organization or company to pay for their J fare, few Malaysians are willing to blow 2 to 4 weeks of their salary on J fare especially if they are travelling with family and have commitment on housing loan, car loan, credit cards repayment, kids education, etc. Some bean counters believe money saved could spend on hotel (more comfortable than lie flat bed), food (certainly superior than in-flight meal) and shopping. Of course, some insist to travel on J-class as cattle class are too lowly for them.

J fare is relatively low for Aussie, European and American salary vs Malaysian salary; naturally, more Aussie, European and American travel on J than Malaysians.

Edited by KK Lee

Terrible. I flew in to LHR on Friday on EK and landed at 13.35, but did not get off the plane till 15.15 - stands could not be vacated in time so we sat on the Tarmac staring at snow. Next day I flew our to JFK on BA and T5 was a huge mess- people in sleeping bags on the floor. Consider myself lucky as my flight was only delayed 4 hours (deicing related). Not fun :(

And there are still a lot of people who think Heathrow does not need a new runway... honestly... !!!

I bet you were sitting comfortably in J, or F, or R :D

Edited by H C Chai

And there are still a lot of people who think Heathrow does not need a new runway... honestly... !!!

I bet you were sitting comfortably in J, or F, or R :D

It was awful regardless of class of travel.... But erm you guess correctly - was on an EK380 in F and at least the Belgian captain came out to chit chat with us and explain stuff. But yeah - we shut down all engines three times only to restart when we could move.

As per 31JAN13 GDS inventory display, Malaysia Airlines from 01MAY13 introduces Airbus A380 service on Kuala Lumpur – Hong Kong route. The A380 operates MH072/073 service. The airline previously planned to introduce 3rd daily service from 15JUN13 (MH432/433), this remains unchanged for the moment followed by the operational aircraft changes.

MH072 KUL0915 – 1305HKG 380 D
MH432 KUL1540 – 1930HKG 738 D
MH078 KUL1915 – 2305HKG 738 D

MH079 HKG0845 – 1225KUL 738 D
MH073 HKG1445 – 1825KUL 380 D
MH433 HKG2030 – 0010+1KUL 738 D

resource:airline route

This is a very smart decision, IMHO. To deploy it to NRT or Australia is a bit of over stretch and it will face the kind of problem BI faced back in December 2012 if any one of their 388 goes wrong. Besides, HKG is a major financial centre and a big Oneworld hub. This decision to put the 388 on KUL/HKG makes a lot of sense :)

The flight is available for booking already. Tried dummy booking for travel in June and the total amount is RM878 vv. Is that a good deal? Base fare is very cheap (RM300++) but surcharges are insane. Really tempted to try the dugong.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

This could be a good thing for customers. MH fares on this route has always been high and that CX controls the majority of the market share. The extra capacity created with the deployment of the A380 will result in the followings:

- lower MH's fares for sure, hence makes it more competitive with CX's offering.

- if the product + fare are really good, MH can erode CX's market share on the route.

- if the fare difference is not too material and within tolerable margin with AK's offering, AK could be in serious danger. HKG might be another CMB waiting a repeat.

This could be a good thing for customers. MH fares on this route has always been high and that CX controls the majority of the market share. The extra capacity created with the deployment of the A380 will result in the followings:

- lower MH's fares for sure, hence makes it more competitive with CX's offering.

- if the product + fare are really good, MH can erode CX's market share on the route.

- if the fare difference is not too material and within tolerable margin with AK's offering, AK could be in serious danger. HKG might be another CMB waiting a repeat.

If CX & MH coordinates well as a team ( after all this route is a code share service) , the third possible may happen .

This could be interesting. MH now can play the volume game while tip toeing with the right pricing. Can easily reduce AK's share on the same route. I would want to be on MH rather than AK. Very obvious choice.

This is a very smart decision, IMHO. To deploy it to NRT or Australia is a bit of over stretch and it will face the kind of problem BI faced back in December 2012 if any one of their 388 goes wrong. Besides, HKG is a major financial centre and a big Oneworld hub. This decision to put the 388 on KUL/HKG makes a lot of sense :)

The last part of your statement also applies to NRT/MEL/SYD, all 3 of these "once proposed" destinations are major financial HUB's and are major OW HUB's of member airlines; JL & QF respectively.

The problem quite simply lies in MH's onboard hard product, especially on the Kangaroo route. The product will not be consistent in a premium pax's point of view, MEL/SYD-KUL will have the recliner seats whilst their LHR/CDG legs will be on lie flat seats on the A380. One would like to travel on the same product through out their entire journey, I for one would love to have lie flat seats from Australia to Europe. This will certainly put off potential OW premium customers (which Australia has a large base) from flying MH, they could alternatively fly on CX or QF instead to Europe.

Very sad that SYD doesn't get the A380. I think the 777 will be gone too later this year and only have the A333?

MH are scheduled to have two new A333s delivered this year. Maybe they can configure them with similar accommodation to the A380 and dedicate these aircraft for use on their Aussie services.

I would rather say HKG from KUL might goes to D7 if CX and MH dugong controls the maket share over AK narrowbody, as I remembered Uncle Tony also mentioned before 3 hours below are more ideal for AK for now...