MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I agree that there will be an excess of capacity if MH send A380 to serve SYD and MEL. A330 to SYD and MEL is not that bad.., its a new plane, they just need to upgrade their J product with fully flat bed and at least to be on par with CX or SQ. Too bad there will be no more F for SYD once 744 fully retired serving the route. IMO, maybe they can lease couple of 77W to include F and serve route that have F demand like SYD/MEL/NRT/LAX/FRA/AMS.

I heard MAS has actually tried to do lease 77W from some airline, but they (the airline) want a wet-lease deal only and apparently MAS didnt like it...

I heard MAS has actually tried to do lease 77W from some airline, but they (the airline) want a wet-lease deal only and apparently MAS didnt like it...

The only airline which is actively leasing out their B77W is Jet Airways. Yes, they always lease out with at least one cabin crew of theirs and both cockpit crew of theirs.

B77W is selling like hot 'pisang goreng' and there is no way an airline could get it from any other operators without paying such a high leasing fees and restrictive Ts & Cs. Jet Airways is just another business outfit and it could easily quote the price and terms.

:hi:

MAS To Start A380 Service To Paris On March 1

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 22 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines will commence Airbus A380 services on its Kuala Lumpur-Paris route beginning on March 1.

In a statement today, it said the French capital is the second European destination after London in the national flag carrier's long-haul network to be operated by the superjumbo.

"The 494-seater Airbus 380 daily services to Paris will be rolled out to replace the current 282-seat B777 operations, increasing daily seat capacity by 75 per cent effective March 1," the carrier said.

In conjunction with the A380 operations, Malaysia Airlines is offering attractive promotional fares from now until Feb 11, valid for travel from March 1 to Sept 30.

Economy class travel on the state-of-art A380 is now possible at all-inclusive return airfares starting from RM2,899, it said, adding a 'Golden Ticket' campaign during this offer period allows economy class customers a chance to be upgraded to business class when travelling between March 1 and Sept 30.

"Winners of 'Golden Tickets' will be randomly chosen by seat number on flights between Kuala Lumpur and Paris," the carrier said.

All-inclusive promotional return fares for Business Class from Kuala Lumpur to Paris start at RM11,969, while return First Class fares start at RM31,465.

"With the A380 flying to Paris, Malaysia Airlines is proud to offer new levels of comfort, luxury and convenience to our guests," its Senior Vice President, Sales and Distribution Duncan Bureau said.

With the A380 replacing the B777-200, Malaysia Airlines is also introducing First Class travel on this route, the statement said.

-- BERNAMA

Pssssttt....psssssttttt

MH4 KUL - LHR 22.1.2013

Load: 0 FRCL, 10 GCCL & 100+ EYCL

the load looks not that good......

or is it because of the snow?

Less pax, less fuel used... Save money :-)

MAS To Start A380 Service To Paris On March 1

"The 494-seater Airbus 380 daily services to Paris will be rolled out to replace the current 282-seat B777 operations, increasing daily seat capacity by 75 per cent effective March 1," the carrier said.

75% seat capacity increase is a very bold act, either they have missed or ignored the potential all this while or going for "double or nothing".

75% seat capacity increase is a very bold act, either they have missed or ignored the potential all this while or going for "double or nothing".

And I congratulate MH on this.

We at Mwings have been one of the biggest sceptics. I still remember many MWingers questioning MH's need for the A380 at all. Just scan the postings for those who doubted that the KUL to LHR route will work for the A380. We have now seen that the A380 works for the LHR route.

Now the focus is on Paris. This will be a big test for MH's marketing and sales teams. Mwingers have long admired EK's "put the A380 there and let the sales and marketing people fill it up" policy. Now, MH is following that as well - so I wish MH well in their quest to make the A380 work on the KUL-CDG route. This is the ultimate test of the A380's ability as a passenger magnet for MH.

If it works, MH should consider deploying the A380 on more routes and seriously consider a top up order if they want to attract more pax with the A380. :)

Edited by flee

The only airline which is actively leasing out their B77W is Jet Airways. Yes, they always lease out with at least one cabin crew of theirs and both cockpit crew of theirs.

MAS should get a brand new B77W to replace the B777-200ER that is in their fleet now. :) If im not mistaken the B77W much more fuel efficient if compare to the old B772.

B77W is selling like hot 'pisang goreng' and there is no way an airline could get it from any other operators without paying such a high leasing fees and restrictive Ts & Cs. Jet Airways is just another business outfit and it could easily quote the price and terms.

Not really, Jet Airways was in financial difficulty at that time and was looking for opportunity to divest their B77W. Gulf Air and Turkish Airlines took up the offer. Jet Airways went on to cancel one of the B77W on order [the completed frame went to Abu Dhabi Amiri Flight], and converted another two B77W order to B737NG order.

MAS should get a brand new B77W to replace the B777-200ER that is in their fleet now. :) If im not mistaken the B77W much more fuel efficient if compare to the old B772.

The boat has sailed for MH to order B77W. The nearest slot that Boeing can offer MH would be August 2015 and it cost a USD305.6 million a pop. MH can hardly afford it. Maybe they can consider some early EK-machines when EK offloaded some of theirs. Even better, just order A350 since their EIS is in 2015.

The current B772ERs are killed by the new generation of A330-300. Some are heading for scrapping already.

Don't think MH can get any A350-900s in 2015, even if the order was placed today. Most likely delivery will be 2017 or later.

If they do nothing now, they get nothing in the future, simple as that.

. Maybe they can consider some early EK-machines when EK offloaded some of theirs. Even better, just order A350 since their EIS is in 2015.

I think MH might score better chances at getting some early B777-312ERs from SQ, as they normally retire them at around 10 years mark. EK normally keeps their aircraft longer than SQ though.

Isn't Virgin Australia not sure what to do with their 77W other than sending them to LAX? May be they have some spare 77W they need to get rid of, since they were running at a loss during their V Australia days?

I personally think 77W is a safer option for those airlines running tight. Compared to say 787 and A350. These new birds normally have teething problems to sort out first especially when new technologies are involved. Don't believe whatq John Leahy said about the A350 being more reliable than the B787. One only needs to look at what the A330/340 and A380 had gone through. 77W Will be a happy chappy while these new birds get sorted for their teething problems.

Edited by S V Choong

Therein lies MH's dilemma - currently they already have problems filling B772s. How can they fill B77W's? That is why they are looking at the enhanced range (with A332 fuel tanks activated) A330-300s. Very, very safe to bet on the tried and tested A333 - don't you think?

Edited by flee

Oh, one more thing that MH needs to do - if A333s are going to replace B744s for the Aussie routes, there must be F class accommodation. Otherwise, product consistency will not be there on the kangaroo route.

Won't make a difference if they can't sale the seats available on the 77W. They probably are going to loss even more money. Even SQ can't make 77W work on all of their thin long-haul flights, that is why their 772ER is going to be around for a while.

Therein lies MH's dilemma - currently they already have problems filling B772s. How can they fill B77W's?

Well said!

I believe the reason is people don't want to get stranded at LHR. travelling during snow storm is quite hectic and very unpleasant.

Terrible. I flew in to LHR on Friday on EK and landed at 13.35, but did not get off the plane till 15.15 - stands could not be vacated in time so we sat on the Tarmac staring at snow. Next day I flew our to JFK on BA and T5 was a huge mess- people in sleeping bags on the floor. Consider myself lucky as my flight was only delayed 4 hours (deicing related). Not fun :(

I believe the reason is people don't want to get stranded at LHR. travelling during snow storm is quite hectic and very unpleasant.

I am not so sure about this. What are the chances that passengers who have already booked their flights only to cancel it a few days before departure due to weather, and pay the hefty penalty?

I am not so sure about this. What are the chances that passengers who have already booked their flights only to cancel it a few days before departure due to weather, and pay the hefty penalty?

Many airlines - including BA were offering travel waivers for the period.

Not really, Jet Airways was in financial difficulty at that time and was looking for opportunity to divest their B77W. Gulf Air and Turkish Airlines took up the offer. Jet Airways went on to cancel one of the B77W on order [the completed frame went to Abu Dhabi Amiri Flight], and converted another two B77W order to B737NG order.

The boat has sailed for MH to order B77W. The nearest slot that Boeing can offer MH would be August 2015 and it cost a USD305.6 million a pop. MH can hardly afford it. Maybe they can consider some early EK-machines when EK offloaded some of theirs. Even better, just order A350 since their EIS is in 2015.

The current B772ERs are killed by the new generation of A330-300. Some are heading for scrapping already.

Just to add, TG joined GF and TK bandwagon too in having a taste of 9W's B77Ws.

As at 31 December 2012, for the 777 family, Boeing has 365 frames of backlog and 298 of them are the B77W. So just imagine how long MH would have to wait if it places an order now.

Just to add, TG joined GF and TK bandwagon too in having a taste of 9W's B77Ws.

As at 31 December 2012, for the 777 family, Boeing has 365 frames of backlog and 298 of them are the B77W. So just imagine how long MH would have to wait if it places an order now.

Pardon my ignorance

but what is so great about 77W?

Edited by affendi osman