MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

That is a very interesting development ... do you have a link to the article or somewhere that ties MAS' decision not to deploy the A380 to Sydney to this development?

KC Sim

Nope.. the article just saying that KLM will have a codeshare with EY to MEL and SYD.. nothing said about their tie up with MH and there is no articles saying that is one of the reason on why MH pull back A380 for that routes. just a wild guess maybe..??

Received the bad news today. Equipment changed from A380 to B772. :(

They flip, and now we wish they flop back to A380. Hope you enjoy the trip anyway..

Here you see AK and its ilk has an advantage - you cannot possibly get AK'ed, QZ'ed ...... :D

They might just get "AXED" all together...

Seems like MH is the only operator whom changed their A380 destination so many times . So indecisive .

When you are losing billions of RM, and the A380 is supposed to be your saviour, you get very nervous! ;)

The A380 is definitely pulling in the crowds. According to ExpertFlyer, my flight from KUL to LHR tonight is now showing all 8 First class seats filled and 58/64 Business class seats taken. Even in Economy, there are only 6 empty seats left on the upper deck!

In comparison, The flight from KUL to LHR tomorrow morning on the B744 only has 3/12 seats in First filled and 18/39 seats in Business taken.

Edited by Josh T

I just don't get it. LHR will get double daily, so maybe require 3 aircraft? SYD and NRT shelved. They should have 6 A380 towards the end of the year. Where would the rest go? Did I miss anything?

The A380 is definitely pulling in the crowds. According to ExpertFlyer, my flight from KUL to LHR tonight is now showing all 8 First class seats filled and 58/64 Business class seats taken. Even in Economy, there are only 6 empty seats left on the upper deck!

In comparison, The flight from KUL to LHR tomorrow morning on the B744 only has 3/12 seats in First filled and 18/39 seats in Business taken.

Believe this A380 crowd pulling magic is only good for now... Once pax got used to it, the magic will wear off.

In longer term that is not a solution to all the losses incurred by MAS.

Yes, so far, all airlines that operate the A380 are pulling in pax to their A380 services...

Emirates A380 ops analysed: http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/emirates-stretches-out-a380-network-with-singapore-melbourne-auckland-and-moscow-84960

I just don't get it. LHR will get double daily, so maybe require 3 aircraft? SYD and NRT shelved. They should have 6 A380 towards the end of the year. Where would the rest go? Did I miss anything?

I think there has been some delay due to the wing and RR engine issues.

Two more A380's will be delivered by November. I believe that delivery of the 5th and 6th aircraft will now be delayed until next year.

MH will need 3 to do KUL-LHR double daily. Perhaps MNA needs to go back to have its wings fixed.

Believe this A380 crowd pulling magic is only good for now... Once pax got used to it, the magic will wear off.

If the B747 experience is to be repeated, the novelty value of a record-holding type (in this case, biggest) will hold for quite a long time.

In longer term that is not a solution to all the losses incurred by MAS.

I agree with Capt Radzi.

Most pax try to get on A380 flights not because it is an A380. It is due to the unique features of the A380. Currently, no other aircraft offers what the A380 can offer. So the effect will last quite a long while...

You forgot CDG services.

And FYI the 6th plane is scheduled to be delivered by Q1 next year. At the same time, the earliest plane will have to go in to be retrofitted with the wing crack fix, so for the early part of the year only 5 A380 will be available.

Once the full complement is available, I don't see why NRT shouldn't be served by the dugong.

You forgot CDG services.

And FYI the 6th plane is scheduled to be delivered by Q1 next year. At the same time, the earliest plane will have to go in to be retrofitted with the wing crack fix, so for the early part of the year only 5 A380 will be available.

Once the full complement is available, I don't see why NRT shouldn't be served by the dugong.

Or even SYD. 5 A380s will cover the twice daily flights to LHR and the daily flight to CDG. I reckon the 6th may end up going to SYD once all 6 dugongs are in full working order.

Or even SYD. 5 A380s will cover the twice daily flights to LHR and the daily flight to CDG. I reckon the 6th may end up going to SYD once all 6 dugongs are in full working order.

That's even worse than flying the 6th 388 to NRT as SYD is even further away. At least a few flights will be affected should one of its 388 breaks down.

That's even worse than flying the 6th 388 to NRT as SYD is even further away. At least a few flights will be affected should one of its 388 breaks down.

Current SYD B744 flights see the aircraft idle for over 6 hours at SYD. So one rotation to SYD takes almost as much time as a rotation to LHR or CDG. That is not very effective use of aircraft if current schedules are not modified.

It is due to the unique features of the A380. Currently, no other aircraft offers what the A380 can offer.

I have travelled several times on EK (both first class and economy) and SQ A380s. In my opinion there is little difference in economy between the A380 and the 744 other than the fact the A380 is a newer plane. Same seat configuration downstairs 3-4-3 along with 300+ economy passengers. That said, I would choose the A380 every time , although I used to love all the 747s. I shall be trying the new MAS A380 to KUL from LHR in February. Cannot wait.

Edited by John Linehan

I have travelled several times on EK (both first class and economy) and SQ A380s. In my opinion there is little difference in economy between the A380 and the 744 other than the fact the A380 is a newer plane. Same seat configuration downstairs 3-4-3 along with 300+ economy passengers. That said, I would choose the A380 every time , although I used to love all the 747s. I shall be trying the new MAS A380 to KUL from LHR in February. Cannot wait.

Isn't the Y seat on the 388 wider ? Anyway, do take lots of pictures :drinks:

I agree with Capt Radzi.

Most pax try to get on A380 flights not because it is an A380. It is due to the unique features of the A380. Currently, no other aircraft offers what the A380 can offer. So the effect will last quite a long while...

Question is. Are these fare paying F passengers or govt/mh peeps taking a joy ride... Sorry to spoil the party but perhaps a reality check?

Question is. Are these fare paying F passengers or govt/mh peeps taking a joy ride... Sorry to spoil the party but perhaps a reality check?

I don't know about the flight crews, but normal staff only get Y for their FOC travel.

For duty travel on the other hand, you do get the highest class available - but two weeks ago my colleagues went to London for duty travel and they had to fly on MH4 because MH2 is totally full with revenue passengers.

Isn't the Y seat on the 388 wider ?

It may be, but not enough to make a huge difference on a 12 hour flight! Three years ago I flew first class form Dubai to bangkok on an EK A380. Now that was classy!