MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

to axe sydney shows the lack of confidence and indeed confusion of the management at MH

it would have been better to go as planned and then take it off should it prove unpopular or not yielding.

after all it could even be regarded as advertising !!!

MH you guys just still dont get it yet.

Did they not recently downgraded one of the daily flights to B738? There should be a lot of happy passengers if they upgraded it to an A380 :)

I still find it hard to believe they are sending B738 to HKG, especially CX has twice as many flights and all are operated by wide bodies

just returned from HK on CX and it was a perfect flight.

load was approaching 70s with a suprisingly good C load.

if MH continues with the "village" like mentality with 738s they can just give CX a walkover.

at HKIA i was kinda proud to see a MH 747 parked next to the CX and JL 747s and 777 resp....it was like WAHHHHH moment

can you imagine if it was a 738 ??? !!!!

major malu

Did they not recently downgraded one of the daily flights to B738? There should be a lot of happy passengers if they upgraded it to an A380 :)

I still find it hard to believe they are sending B738 to HKG, especially CX has twice as many flights and all are operated by wide bodies

Japan will require visas for Malaysians to enter. Whereas HK does not. Does anyone know the actual load of the flights to NRT? Most Malaysian who can make it there will probably choose D7 and land at HND, must closer to Tokyo city too.

MH is code sharing with CX on KUL-HKG flights. The 738 flight you mentioned is MH78 which involves horrible time. Departing KUL at 7:15pm and arrived HKG at 11pm! CX's flight is much civilized in terms of timing.

Japan will require visas for Malaysians to enter. Whereas HK does not. Does anyone know the actual load of the flights to NRT? Most Malaysian who can make it there will probably choose D7 and land at HND, must closer to Tokyo city too.

Pre D7 days, it was pretty good. Near full flights each time I flew there. Mostly Japanese and foreigners though.

Chances are the SYD run will be serviced by A330 instead of A380 due the load capping by SYD authorities.

Heard about this from another forum.

at HKIA i was kinda proud to see a MH 747 parked next to the CX and JL 747s and 777 resp....it was like WAHHHHH moment

can you imagine if it was a 738 ??? !!!!

major malu

A major malu, sure , just as malu as having a Porsche Cayman instead of a Rolls Royce in front of the house. Malu lah, it is so small.

If MH really wanted to send the A380 to SYD and MEL, they're gonna have to order 2 more of the whales. They could always poach 2 from the Kingfisher order, which is highly likely to fall through.

I was hoping to sample the A380 to NRT this December. Hopefully it stays according to plan.

A major malu, sure , just as malu as having a Porsche Cayman instead of a Rolls Royce in front of the house. Malu lah, it is so small.

:D I was always so envious that MH sent the T7 because we only got the B734 from BKI to HKG.

Not really. 3 needed for the twice daily LHR turns, 1.5 needed for the CDG turn, 1 needed for the NRT turn and 0.5 needed for the HKG turn. There are still a lot of ground time for the A380 at KUL.

The three 380s can run MH 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 1 -> 2 rotation (still with about 3-5 hours ground time in KUL between turns). Two A380s can run MH 20 -> 21 -> 72 -> 73 -> 21 (with about 4-5 hours ground time between 73 -> 21 turn) and the last 380 frame can do solely MH 88/89 turn with about 6 hours ground time in KUL.

Not many airlines have an extra A380 sitting around whole day just in case of irrops.

Yes. You don't see other airlines park their so called spare 388 on the ground in their main base the whole day. Instead, the so called spare is usually deployed to a city nearby to increase the aircraft utilization rate. And the reason NRT may not be so ideal is because with only 6 A380-800, it is a bit of stretch and NRT is so far away from MH's main base. If anything goes wrong, the 388 operation will definitely run into problems. Hence why HKG is actually a safer city compared to NRT. Besides, daily utilization is already pretty high if they just deploy another frame to HKG on a daily basis (about 14 hours). HKG is a big financial centre. It probably stands a better chance of filling all those seats instead of NRT. NRT sounds very high yield but it may not be the case for KUL/NRT. Else we probably can see JL flies to KUL like twice or thrice a day and NH will probably have multiple daily flights to KUL too.

I very much doubt if HKG will get the A380. MH is going for frequency for HKG.

With NRT, there is less competition too. MH is also looking for oneworld pax from the US to connect to them at NRT.

Perhaps one of the reasons for MH sending their A380 to CDG is to increase aircraft utilisation as that sector is definitely longer than the SYD or MEL sectors.

Perhaps one of the reasons for MH sending their A380 to CDG is to increase aircraft utilisation as that sector is definitely longer than the SYD or MEL sectors.

Actually, MAS can achieve an even higher utilization of its 388 if they deploy the 388 to SYD and MEL and at the same time going double daily to LHR. The sixth frame acts as a spare and only fly to somewhere nearby with demand for F.

I was hoping to sample the A380 to NRT this December. Hopefully it stays according to plan.

:D I was always so envious that MH sent the T7 because we only got the B734 from BKI to HKG.

If you really want sample the A380, you have much better chance with SQ. I flew SQ A380 from KUL-NRT via SIN two years ago and caught the mid-night flight. which arrived in the morning. Quite good. Sleep all the way to the morning if you sit in front of the engines, plus you get to catch SQ A330 from KUL-SIN sector rather than MI A320s.. Hope you haven't bought your tix with MH! I don't know but sampling MH A380 isn't always something I am aiming for, unless coincident. I have flown on EK's A380 between AKL-SYD too, both of which seemed to offer better product than MH's A380.

I am keen on flying Thai A380 though. Looks like the best A380 livery to me!

They are sending B738 to HKG, IIRC. I agreed, everytime I flew into HKG from BKI... we had to deplane via the stairs and the bus. Worst of all.... the bus always drove past the MH's B772 from KUL... which makes us felt really envious! :D

I very much doubt if HKG will get the A380. MH is going for frequency for HKG.

If they can fly at a better time slot than MH78 which arrives at mid-night, surely they can fill the A380.

Yes. You don't see other airlines park their so called spare 388 on the ground in their main base the whole day. Instead, the so called spare is usually deployed to a city nearby to increase the aircraft utilization rate. And the reason NRT may not be so ideal is because with only 6 A380-800, it is a bit of stretch and NRT is so far away from MH's main base. If anything goes wrong, the 388 operation will definitely run into problems. Hence why HKG is actually a safer city compared to NRT. Besides, daily utilization is already pretty high if they just deploy another frame to HKG on a daily basis (about 14 hours). HKG is a big financial centre. It probably stands a better chance of filling all those seats instead of NRT. NRT sounds very high yield but it may not be the case for KUL/NRT. Else we probably can see JL flies to KUL like twice or thrice a day and NH will probably have multiple daily flights to KUL too.

Well said, Isaac. KUL-NRT is a 6- 6.5 hour sector. Not only NRT, but KIX, PEK and PVG (5 hours from KUL) may not be ideal too. Wherelse will be a higher yield destination within a stone's throw. HKG rings the bell immediately, I guess. They probably just need to work out CX. MH's flight is horribly timed. Either departing as first flight in the morning or you are stuck with the choice of last flight to HKG.... Time seems to be more civilised if flying with CX.

Oh, for those "we should replicate what SQ does/ or we should compete with SQ" people, SQ also sends their A380 to HKG. :)

Guys check this out! A380 delivery page....

MH logo isn't there! Thai Airways who just took delivery of their A380....and their logo is loaded to the page... =@ =@ =@

http://www.a380delivery.com/

I guess a lot of us here will be really unhappy!

Edited by S V Choong

They are sending B738 to HKG, IIRC. I agreed, everytime I flew into HKG from BKI... we had to deplane via the stairs and the bus. Worst of all.... the bus always drove past the MH's B772 from KUL... which makes us felt really envious! :D

Now MAS 737 usually docks at the North Satellite Concourse and deplane and boarding is via aerobridge. One still has to take the shuttle bus to the MTB though. KA 320 are usually parked there too. Happened three times already on the KA flight I took. And from my own past experiences, the shuttle bus always passes through a SIA 388 :p

Time seems to be more civilised if flying with CX.

CX tends to be cheaper than MH too. Helped my dad to book KUL/HKG several times already and CX was always cheaper!

If you really want sample the A380, you have much better chance with SQ. I flew SQ A380 from KUL-NRT via SIN two years ago and caught the mid-night flight. which arrived in the morning. Quite good. Sleep all the way to the morning if you sit in front of the engines, plus you get to catch SQ A330 from KUL-SIN sector rather than MI A320s.. Hope you haven't bought your tix with MH! I don't know but sampling MH A380 isn't always something I am aiming for, unless coincident. I have flown on EK's A380 between AKL-SYD too, both of which seemed to offer better product than MH's A380.

I am keen on flying Thai A380 though. Looks like the best A380 livery to me!

Actually I have bought tickets to NRT when MH was selling at SGD50 base fare back in August. MH88 is scheduled to arrive NRT at 7.15am. I have flown on SQ A380 before to HKG.

Heard some great review for the TG A380. Get the upper deck seats if you could.

Now MAS 737 usually docks at the North Satellite Concourse and deplane and boarding is via aerobridge. One still has to take the shuttle bus to the MTB though. KA 320 are usually parked there too. Happened three times already on the KA flight I took. And from my own past experiences, the shuttle bus always passes through a SIA 388 :p

IIRC I never use the shuttle bus if traveling on AK. :huh:

Heard about this from another forum.

hrmmm...whats a porsche CAYMAN ?? :unsure: ... a new model - made in bangladesh ?

and are you saying a 738 is like a porsche [ any model ] ???

maybe you meant a proton ??

Actually, MAS can achieve an even higher utilization of its 388 if they deploy the 388 to SYD and MEL and at the same time going double daily to LHR. The sixth frame acts as a spare and only fly to somewhere nearby with demand for F.

But at the cost of cycles.

How does MH make money with their A380? That is a rather complex calculation - MH is probably making money on the KUL-LHR A380 route now. So the next thing to do is to have it double daily. Perhaps the Aussie market is lower yielding than the KUL-CDG?

hrmmm...whats a porsche CAYMAN ?? :unsure: ... a new model - made in bangladesh ?

and are you saying a 738 is like a porsche [ any model ] ???

maybe you meant a proton ??

bout the porche cayman if u dont know bout it,u can always use google mate!

But at the cost of cycles.

How does MH make money with their A380? That is a rather complex calculation - MH is probably making money on the KUL-LHR A380 route now. So the next thing to do is to have it double daily. Perhaps the Aussie market is lower yielding than the KUL-CDG?

Didn't they say earlier that CDG is low yield destination for MH?

Didn't they say earlier that CDG is low yield destination for MH?

No idea - however, the A380s CASK is definitely lower than the B772s. Plus A380s are pax magnets. So MH probably hopes that by putting the A380 on the KUL-CDG route, it will turn the economics for the better.

Maybe they can't add more flight to CDG due to some unknown reasons, so they have to stick to one daily flight. Plus, MH A380 is not really premium-heavy and doesn't have shower, bars or any other fancy stuff that carry a lot of weight. If they can fill up the whale, they will make more money than 772.

(They should have ordered 77W long time ago...)

On my recent flight on QR, judging from number of pax disembarked at Doha arrival terminal, it can be estimated that over 70% QR ex-KUL pax transit at DOH, mean there is a healthy demand ex-KUL to Europe or other destinations. Salary, construction and operation cost in DOH, DXB or AUH is higher than KUL but QR, EY and EK ticket price is cheaper than MH, and don’t hear QR, EY or EK complain about low yield, low demand or losing money ex-KUL.

Until MH business model is revolutionized, whatever management is executing is a fiddle while Rome burns.

Does anyone know why Airbus has not listed MH as an A380 operator on their A380 delivery website?

Now that the A380 has well and truly delivered to MH and MH has been operating them for a few months already. Even Thai who just took delivered their A380 was listed in this page.

Is it because Airbus simply waiting on MH's decision on which logo to use? :p

Guys check this out! A380 delivery page....

MH logo isn't there! Thai Airways who just took delivery of their A380....and their logo is loaded to the page... =@ =@ =@

I guess a lot of us here will be really unhappy!

I think the website peeps are not sure on which MH logo to choose from. There are after all at least 3 logo choices.