MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

There was an attempt to achieve some commonality with the 743, by ordering it to be equipped with RR-engines....until politics stepped in.

Same deal with switching from GE to PW on the 744 I presumed?

Edited by S V Choong

Same deal with switching from GE to PW on the 744 I presumed?

Dont know about that, but the 743 was the victim of a Buy-British last campaign. Even Petronas was roped in to acquire the 743 from MH.

Dont know about that, but the 743 was the victim of a Buy-British last campaign. Even Petronas was roped in to acquire the 743 from MH.

I'm surprised the 743 was using PW instead of GE - MH was using DC-10 at the time and it would have offered them some commonality.

Perhaps this is why they went with GE for the 744 Combis?

SUD (Stretched Upper Deck)

KLM operated quite a few B747-200 in SUD too. Because of the longer upper deck cabin, people frequently mistaken their 742SUD as 743.

KLM operated quite a few B747-200 in SUD too. Because of the longer upper deck cabin, people frequently mistaken their 742SUD as 743.

Was a conversion from Short Upper Deck to Stretched Upper Deck anyway.

Not only KLM but JAL had a few 747-SR SUDs too. The SRs are -100s... so it was 747-146B SUDs...

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/conf/747.html

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/aircraft/jal/detail/747_300srb.html

One of those mutants B747 I guess.

Going back to MH A380 - how can they compete with SQ's 3 daily 388 services and a 1 daily 77W? MAS does not even have the slots they want to expand (plus they only have 6 388's spread thinly). Even with MAS joining OW - I don't see any major efforts by QF and BA to integrate with its newest member. Too little, too late. Then again, I see the glass as half empty.

But that's not even the problem. MAS suffers from a serious lack of marketing - I see TG, TK, SQ, KE and CZ (of course, i don't need to mention EK, EY and QR) advertising in London. Taxis, tube stations, billboards, newspapers. Where is MAS? Me thinks that they have just realised how underwhelming their NEW product is compared to these other airlines. Come one, printed menus and hot towels are now the very MINIMUM you should have for economy class.

Very poor show, half hearted at best by the management and a huge disgrace to MH's hard working crew.

MAS suffers from a serious lack of marketing - I see TG, TK, SQ, KE and CZ (of course, i don't need to mention EK, EY and QR) advertising in London. Taxis, tube stations, billboards, newspapers. Where is MAS? Me thinks that they have just realised how underwhelming their NEW product is compared to these other airlines. Come one, printed menus and hot towels are now the very MINIMUM you should have for economy class.

I agree with you. I can't remember when was the last time I saw an MH ad in London. It would be nice if they come up with some advertising when they introduce the A380's to London. Maybe they just want to keep it quiet until they offer a daily service?!

It should be pretty easy (and cost effective) for MAS to offer e-menu via the IFE screen, as long as they make passengers aware of it. Qatar is already doing this on some routes. Hot towels? I'd be happy if they introduce those pre-pack wet towels in Y :p

Saw the dugong this afternoon at KLIA. Viewed from distance of 150m, the all blue wau logo looks really dark and gloomy, almost black, in the hazy condition. The body stripe was as dark, unable to distinguish the two colouredtone. Reflected my mood after seeing it live in person. Very disappointed indeed

During the short sponsorship period with QPR i believe you can see MH ads promo their A380 to London... quite a lots actually. Especially towards the end of the league :D

IMO, they shld continue with a sponsorship with a football club in BPL since the coverage is worldwide. Well maybe not to sponsor QPR again but how about clubs like Tottenham/Everton/Newcastle that will be good marketing and wider brand awareness for MH.

Just look at Emirates, they did sponsor football team in the UK, Spain, German, Italy and even Greece!

to be honest, living in London, even during MH's sponsorship with QPR .. I didn't see much of a presence with MAS.

that is my whole point - the ones that stick out are EK, KE, QR, SQ ...

for someone interested in aviation, oh yes, i know MAS flies A380 into LHR. no one else know.

for the rest of the world, including tourists ad businessmen from every corner of the globe - what they see is EK, KE, QR and SQ. Even TG on some taxis. MAS --> silence was the loud reply.

Edited by Izanee

yeah, that is not enough. it has to be a sustained campaign of marketing. MAS needs to be 'in your face'. Everywhere I go I see all the other airlines. For example - Waterloo station tunnel link to the Jubilee line has multiple huge emirates adverts - all the way down.

I've even seen China southern in other tube stations.

And the A380 was displayed during the trade exhibition - NOT during the public display at the weekend.

yeah, that is not enough. it has to be a sustained campaign of marketing. MAS needs to be 'in your face'. Everywhere I go I see all the other airlines. For example - Waterloo station tunnel link to the Jubilee line has multiple huge emirates adverts - all the way down.

I've even seen China southern in other tube stations.

And the A380 was displayed during the trade exhibition - NOT during the public display at the weekend.

I couldn't agree more. MAS is not creating something fresh here, they are just merely following suit and therefore do not stand out at all.

Think outside of the box, my dear national carrier!

Just to give u some figures - Waterloo station, during the 3 hour morning rush hour can handle 57 000 people.

Total number of people that use the Tube (London Underground) yearly - 1.1 billion

I can't see why MAS cannot put up a billboard or two to advertise their services. Its not like I'm asking them to put up a billboard in Zagreb or Helsinki - this is LONDON, their so-called 'flagship' route. if no one knows about them, no one will fly them.

instead of sponsoring QPR for uncle Tony, they could have spent money on real advertising - TV, print media, etc etc. MAS used to be everywhere - cricket tournaments, F1, etc etc. Now, its all silence. very sad to see it like that.

As Hon Lin says, MAS are followers rather than trend setters. They had an excellent chance with the A380 to dazzle the world, instead they came out with a bog standard product which i felt was very anti-climactic. AJ has no idea what he is talking about.

Well MH gave a free ticket to the NST journalist, that kind of write up is understandably predictable. The 'wowness' of the journalist's lack of knowledge shines through by associating Sex & the City in the article and yet still failed to figure out that the cabin featured in the movie is EK suites. He/she should at least try to compare the product with the ones already introduced by the other 7 airlines. Alas I am sure he/she does not have a clue about it either.

Well MH gave a free ticket to the NST journalist, that kind of write up is understandably predictable. The 'wowness' of the journalist's lack of knowledge shines through by associating Sex & the City in the article and yet still failed to figure out that the cabin featured in the movie is EK suites. He/she should at least try to compare the product with the ones already introduced by the other 7 airlines. Alas I am sure he/she does not have a clue about it either.

I thought it was Etihad? if i remembered correctly, they land at Abu Dhabi

EK was portrayed as a fictitious airline called "Afdal" owned by the Abu Dhabi Sheikh in the movie. The cabin interior, cabin crew uniform, Arabic Pringles etc are all of EK's. Heck they even have a scene at the bar at the back of the J class.

None of the film's scene was shoot in the UAE - Dubai or Abu Dhabi included.

Filming in New York was postponed to the end of July as Emirati authorities refused clearance for filming in the emirate. As a result, the Abu Dhabi segment of the film was filmed in Morocco.[9][10] All four leading ladies and other cast and crew were photographed[11] filming scenes in Morocco in November 2009, where they had originally planned to shoot for 13 days, which had to be extended to almost six weeks.