MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Look at it this way - by building a close relationship with GLCs, they can sway them to transfer the corporate account to MH.

Since when do the bulk of GLC staff travel on the likes of SQ, TG, EK and CX?

I thought GLCs' corporate accounts go no where but to MH ? :)

Yes you are right. They need approval from JPA should they couldn't secure seats for their overseas trip on MH. Supposedly all civil servants should only fly MAS for all their outstation trips.

But to be fair, it is quite ok lah to give your 'loyal' customers a treat like this every so often (imho)

So long it's not like every other day and doesn't take precedence over genuine fare paying pax

They have to bring dugong home from Toulouse anyway :)

Sorry, just wanna share some facts.

Look at it this way - by building a close relationship with GLCs, they can sway them to transfer the corporate account to MH.

Spot on.

I thought GLCs' corporate accounts go no where but to MH ? :)

Wrong. That's all in the past. GLCs travel desk are liberalized. MAS would have to fight with CX,EK,SQ and win over their business just like anyone else. Sure, there's always an inclination towards MAS, but that's more customer preference, schedule fit and also speed to destination (other airlines need to transit). I personally know two GLC C-suite officers who is an avid SQ flyer (even to MH destinations), and MH is trying hard to win over these guys.

Even Government Departments are moving towards this direction - many are taking AK and even SQ. Some still operate on warrants, but in time, all will be liberalized.

The passing of the malaysian competition act enforced by the MyCC, as well as the upcoming Trans Pacific Partnership Treaty supports this.

Yes you are right. They need approval from JPA should they couldn't secure seats for their overseas trip on MH. Supposedly all civil servants should only fly MAS for all their outstation trips.

Not sure if all need approval from JPA (JPA must be swamped with travel requests then!) Students on JPA scholarship maybe yes, but definitely the blanket rule is gone.

9M-MNA A380 expected to arrive KUL tomorrow morning approx 0900, "Malaysian 5439".

That's all in the past. GLCs travel desk are liberalized. MAS would have to fight with CX,EK,SQ and win over their business just like anyone else

Now that is a refeshing breeze :)

But could that be (one of the) cause for the recent tide of red ink from MH ?

Even Government Departments are moving towards this direction - many are taking AK and even SQ. Some still operate on warrants, but in time, all will be liberalized.

This is indeed true. Many started flying AK since AK went from a full service model to a no-frills model but this trend has since reversed (well, for those who are aware that they can even book the most expensive MAS fare bucket and still get refunded from the government). Some still take AK but many government servants are now back to flying MAS if they can claim their air ticket from the government :)

Not sure if all need approval from JPA (JPA must be swamped with travel requests then!) Students on JPA scholarship maybe yes, but definitely the blanket rule is gone.

I'm not sure if the rule is different for the federal one but for the state one, there is a circular (still in force) states that one must take MAS for all outstation travels unless MAS doesn't fly to the city or the flight is sold out. Supposedly federal has the same rule but they are known to be very lenient with claims and all.

The thing is that in the government sectors, there are simply too many rules that are still in force but not followed. As a matter of fact, many of those who are responsible in approving claims on expenses for travel related matters do not even know the existence of such rule that one must fly with MAS unless they couldn't due to a full flight or the city is not served by MAS and they must get a prior approval from JPA before proceeding to make a booking with another airline.

Something like this happened just last year. A few department heads from several different government offices were asked to attend a conference in Shanghai. Some ministers from that particular state were going to attend the conference too. For some reason, MAS booking engine was not displaying any air fare between that state and PVG despite that there were still plenty of seats between that state to KUL and between KUL/PVG.

Anyway, the travel agency booked them on a foreign airline instead and the air fare per person in Economy was around RM5,760 (tax & fuel surcharge included). Initially the claims from some of the department heads were rejected while some were approved. The claims apparently were checked by a few different officers in several different government offices and those officers that approved the claims did not know of the rule while those that rejected the claims gave a reason that it was because none of them were able to produce the approval letter from JPA. Of course these department heads were furious and upon checking with JPA, such rule about needing a prior approval from JPA before making a booking with a foreign carrier does indeed exist and still in force. But then, all those ministers managed to do the claims and eventually, claims from those department heads were approved too B)

Now that is a refeshing breeze :)

But could that be (one of the) cause for the recent tide of red ink from MH ?

Not really lah. Still have to fly MAS. Just that too many government servants are too ignorant nowadays :lol:

Edited by Isaac

JPA?

or treasury?

the statement is misleading sir....

so u thought they fly with aeroplane only during working?? they dont fly during holidaying or traveling with family or friends??? of coz for non-working purpose most of them will choose to fly with different airlines other than MAS

From Start To Finish - MH A380 in 30 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WFVnKn1oY&feature=relmfu

at the end of this vid it is quite clear that the wau logo has 3 tones of blue....

JPA?

or treasury?

the statement is misleading sir....

Nope. I understand it's JPA, not Treasury. At least it is not according to the rules of the state where the incident took place last place and i would assume it is the same in most other states in Malaysia too. Another alternative is to get permission from the CM department but the correct route is to get the approval from JPA. All necessary approvals should be obtained before buying the ticket from the foreign airline.

Edited by Isaac

so u thought they fly with aeroplane only during working??

Ok, you're right. I wasn't aware that they also fly with trains and boats and bullock-carts.

Ok, you're right. I wasn't aware that they also fly with trains and boats and bullock-carts.

Of course, there're also the more common helicopters & hot air balloons.

Nope. I understand it's JPA, not Treasury. At least it is not according to the rules of the state where the incident took place last place and i would assume it is the same in most other states in Malaysia too. Another alternative is to get permission from the CM department but the correct route is to get the approval from JPA. All necessary approvals should be obtained before buying the ticket from the foreign airline.

JPA is not the one approving, but it is based on circular by Treasury. Hope that clears the air sir.

As I am directly involved with this at my ministry.

Does anyone know which colour scheme will go onto the next and the rest of A380 fleet, which I assume is being prepared at Toulouse at the moment?

It will be very inconsistent if they choose to paint it in different colour scheme on different a/c,

JPA is not the one approving, but it is based on circular by Treasury. Hope that clears the air sir.

As I am directly involved with this at my ministry.

In that state, JPA is the one given the right to approve this, not Treasury. Because of the stirs and drama involving ministers and department heads, it was quite a news and my mom and aunt were involved in that too. I am not very sure if it is different between the federal government and the state government but in that state, approval for such thing is done and should be obtained from JPA, not the state Treasury department.

But guess one thing we do agree on is that there is indeed such policy in place eh ?

In that state, JPA is the one given the right to approve this, not Treasury. Because of the stirs and drama involving ministers and department heads, it was quite a news and my mom and aunt were involved in that too. I am not very sure if it is different between the federal government and the state government but in that state, approval for such thing is done and should be obtained from JPA, not the state Treasury department.

But guess one thing we do agree on is that there is indeed such policy in place eh ?

Errr

to fly, there is new circular regarding with airlines we fly.

it is no longer all MH flights, you can go for AK, and FY. Whichever cheaper....

Did anyone watch MAS A380 Comes Home #1 video on their YouTube page? Its such a joke, I woke up early on my day off here just to catch the glimpse of the arrival but all I see was the plane idling at the gate. Such a waste of time. The quality of the video leaves much to be desired. Perhaps I should wait few more hours, I'm sure Mwingers will come out with a better coverage in a bit. (sorry about my Friday rant) :)

Edited by Fairul